Who is the Leafs Most Talented Player < age 24?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Again this is a no contact scrimmage, but I like he puts the puck to space, enabling the player to skate into it rather than putting into the skates.

Give him some smart linemates.

I know I keep making this comparison, but Nylander reminds me of a young Alfredsson when he first came into the league, has that quick stick and stature of Alfie. One can hope, he can become a little like Alfie. Like to see him get as nasty too. Nylander looks like he is going to be a terrific winger, I don't know if his size will allow him to be as effective at Center.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I know I keep making this comparison, but Nylander reminds me of a young Alfredsson when he first came into the league, has that quick stick and stature of Alfie. One can hope, he can become a little like Alfie. Like to see him get as nasty too. Nylander looks like he is going to be a terrific winger, I don't know if his size will allow him to be as effective at Center.

Sidney Crosby Canada Open print friendly window (pop-up)

Birthyear: 1987-08-07 Birthplace: Halifax, NS, CAN Google maps link
Position: C Shoots: L
Height: 180 cm / 5'11" Weight: 91 kg / 201 lbs

William Nylander Sweden / Canada
a.k.a. "William Nylander Altelius" Open print friendly window (pop-up)

Birthyear: 1996-05-01 Birthplace: Calgary, AB, CAN Google maps link
Position: C/RW Shoots: R
Height: 180 cm / 5'11" Weight: 77 kg / 170 lbs

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sidney Crosby Canada Open print friendly window (pop-up)

Birthyear: 1987-08-07 Birthplace: Halifax, NS, CAN Google maps link
Position: C Shoots: L
Height: 180 cm / 5'11" Weight: 91 kg / 201 lbs

William Nylander Sweden / Canada
a.k.a. "William Nylander Altelius" Open print friendly window (pop-up)

Birthyear: 1996-05-01 Birthplace: Calgary, AB, CAN Google maps link
Position: C/RW Shoots: R
Height: 180 cm / 5'11" Weight: 77 kg / 170 lbs

Depends how a player plays too, Gilmour was 175-180 during his peak years, however, the game has changed in 20 years. Players are bigger, and down low coverage is a must for a Center. Datsyuk is a good comparable in size, he is good defensively regardless of his high GA per 60 stat last season. Players that are smart and who know how to use their sticks and body position can be effective.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
By the time Nylander is up and running as a young gun in 2-4 years, a lot of the big two way centermen who have dominated the game will be nearing the end of their primes, so who can say with any authority if size will be an important issue at that point?

Crash Test Domi*

Kadri and it's not even close. The two kids on D are liability still. Nylander doesn't even count, couldn't score in a beer league.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
People see the word 'talent' and mostly think about highlight reel passes, dekes, and snipes. Where those are concerned Kadri obviously has the best resume.

But if you include skating and everything that comes with it -- speed, acceleration, puck protection, balance, agility -- then Kadri is well behind Reilly and Gardiner, and always will be. Skating is what determines Kadri's ceiling.

Crash Test Domi*

Kadri's skating is fine. If the two kids were forwards their skating wouldn't standout next to Kadri.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kadri's skating is fine. If the two kids were forwards their skating wouldn't standout next to Kadri.

What on earth are you talking about?

Rielly is an explosive skater, Gardiner is fluid and effortless. Kadri isn't bad but he's light on his feet and lacks explosiveness.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

Why do you have this arbitrary belief that centers and d-men need size to be effective? He's got the wheels/skill to do great in the league, he doesn't need size.

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
Not including Nylander as all I know about him is scouting reports and the "highlight reels" (seriously half the so called amazing plays over in Europe happen because the Defenseman doesn't step up to hit :/) which I've seen on YouTube, he likely has raw talent to match or exceed kadri's but I'd like to reserve judgement.

That said of the 3 kids. Kadri hands down. Now he is far from the best of the 3 and he won't ever be nearly as good/effective a player as Gards or Rielly but the things he can do with the puck are elite. What he lacks is a work ethic and team mentality.

Gardiner also has more skill than Rielly. He's got soft hands and a sneaky shot from the point. He is severly lacking in his own end but the last 2/3 Norris trophy winners were too for what it's worth. Hi decision making is quite poor at times.

Rielly. This kid is a straight up stud. Smartest player on the team at 19, tremendous vision, skating and decision making. Needs to toughen up in his own end but he looks very good. That Sao he's not the most talented of the 3 (but will be the best) he hasn't shown how good his shot is in the NHL and he isn't that imaginative with the puck. But sometimes it's better to be smart than fancy.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I went with Nylander and that is probably based a lot on hype. Kadri will always be limited as a skater IMO and he's also bad defensively. Rielly is too conservative and doesn't show enough imagination. Gardiner looked great in the last month but would have to play like that for an entire year to really gain consideration from me.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
ok so I'm gonna throw the proverbial grenade into the room here:

Rielly can skate and pass but he doesn't have great stick handling, no shot (wrist or slapper), not exactly dominating in any way taking the puck away or playing positional defense - so............... what make is everyone so in love with here?

I agree he looks like a nice skating defenseman who on a good team could be a nice compliment but a franchise player or game changer - um - I don't see it.

2nd years are always tough on d-men in this city - look for a drop off from his current mediocrity.

Shwaguy*

ok so I'm gonna throw the proverbial grenade into the room here:

Rielly can skate and pass but he doesn't have great stick handling, no shot (wrist or slapper), not exactly dominating in any way taking the puck away or playing positional defense - so............... what make is everyone so in love with here?

I agree he looks like a nice skating defenseman who on a good team could be a nice compliment but a franchise player or game changer - um - I don't see it.

2nd years are always tough on d-men in this city - look for a drop off from his current mediocrity.

I don't know where you got it that he's not a good stickhandler, his puck control is fantastic

Anyways all of those traits outside of positional Defence can be attributed to him playing very conservative in his first year, if he can get past the mental (Or coach, whatever) block and play more aggressive like he did in Junior he's a stud

He used his Slap Shot in Junior and the AHL with effectiveness, so it's not like he doesn't have one, he just didn't use it this year, I think his slapshot is at least average or will be, which is fine considering he's elite in other areas

His Wrister release could definitely get better

You also left out his Hockey IQ which is high.

And I get you're just looking to get a rise out of people, but I don't think he sophomore slumps. He might not break out this year, but he'll definitely improve. And Even if he does it'll be because of Dinosaur Carlyle not him.

maketrades

May 30, 2014
I would say there's a difference between talented, and physically gifted.

Both Nylander, and Rielly are both, but I would say Nylander is more talented and Rielly is more physically gifted.

Also I would say Nylander has more of both, so I choose him. But it's close.

I would also contend that the only reason Nylander isn't winning this poll is because it's not "cool" on here to be a new prospect bandwagoner.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
At this point I would rank them
1. Kadri
2. Gardiner
3. Reilly

Order will probably switch in due time.

Nylander should not be in this due to playing zero games in the NHL. Not sure how anyone can rank him at this point. No idea how he does against NHL competition. Pure speculation, nothing more at this point with Nylander.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
This poll might as well have been named "Who's your favourite Leaf from this list?"

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I really get tired of how people act like Kadri is a bad defensive player, when he's not. And he never has been. He just plays on a team that been **** defenseively altogether for at least 10 years.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
If early indications are correct, I think this poll is spot on, Nylander fits the bill right behind Rielly.

I dunno what evidence we have that supports that. But I certainly HOPE the poll is correct, because if Nylander and Rielly can actually prove to be better players than Gardiner and Kadri, then we have some very, very good players in those two.

As it currently stands, there's no evidence Nylander is NHL capable, and Rielly, while being a very skilled skater, lacked decisively on his ability to finish last season.

Hopefully that improves significantly with each passing year.

But IMO as things currently stand:
1) Gardiner
2) Kadri
3) Rielly
4) Nylander

And in about 4-5 years:
1) Rielly
2) Nylander (estimation based on hype/expectations)
3) Gardiner
4) Kadri

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
I dunno what evidence we have that supports that. But I certainly HOPE the poll is correct, because if Nylander and Rielly can actually prove to be better players than Gardiner and Kadri, then we have some very, very good players in those two.

As it currently stands, there's no evidence Nylander is NHL capable, and Rielly, while being a very skilled skater, lacked decisively on his ability to finish last season.

Hopefully that improves significantly with each passing year.

But IMO as things currently stand:
1) Gardiner
2) Kadri
3) Rielly
4) Nylander

And in about 4-5 years:
1) Rielly
2) Nylander (estimation based on hype/expectations)
3) Gardiner
4) Kadri

It's sure to change down the road. But as of right now Gardiner, Kadri > Reilly, Nylander. They have the stats to back it up.
I like Nylander a lot but he has put up zero points in the NHL. Let's see what he can do first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad