Who is the Leafs Most Talented Player < age 24?

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I don't care who has the most talent - who can play the game consistently at an elite level?

So far - none of them.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I don't care who has the most talent - who can play the game consistently at an elite level?

So far - none of them.

you cant say that about many in the NHL though

Morgan looks primed to fit that at least, the team around him is terrible however so who knows what impact that will have

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Disagree. I think Rielly has more straight-ahead speed and that is it. Everything else I think Gardiner is better right now. In 1-2 more years Rielly will be the best skater or whenever it is fully developed.

i 100% disagree. rielly is more agile, has better hands, imo gardiner is faster north south... but cant stop on a dime like rielly can, we will see..Gardiner is a stud dont get me wrong... but Rielly is a franchise type of player

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
i 100% disagree. rielly is more agile, has better hands, imo gardiner is faster north south... but cant stop on a dime like rielly can, we will see..Gardiner is a stud dont get me wrong... but Rielly is a franchise type of player

I would trade Gardner right now for a solid d-man or good draft choice this year. The guy will show flash and dash here for a few years before the organization finally realizes that defense is not a position this talented player can excel at.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Its really hard because I have seen very little of nylander, and its a toss up between kadri and rielly. You can't really compare them.

So I guess kadri and rielly are tied for first for me

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I would trade Gardner right now for a solid d-man or good draft choice this year. The guy will show flash and dash here for a few years before the organization finally realizes that defense is not a position this talented player can excel at.

lol! yeah trade one of our highest minute eating defenseman and our best possession player for another gleason/polak/komisarek.

I would put gardiner over rielly right now but it's very close

Last edited by a moderator:

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
lol! yeah trade one of our highest minute eating defenseman and our best possession player for another gleason/polak/komisarek.

I would put gardiner over rielly right now but it's very close

not surprised - it never ends - peeps mistake the ability to enter a pairs ice-dance with playing defense. A very stupid defenseman - just our luck that the Leafs have no other options developed yet. Reilly will be a good d-man because he can make decisions properly as well as skate.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The NHL is a skating league, an elite skater goes a long way in the talent department, in that vein I will attempt to compare these 3 skaters.

Gardiner, good speed, glides, tends to skate around players.

Nylander, quick off the mark, breakaway speed, agile and good laterally.

Rielly, quick and powerful, with agility, tends to skate around and through players.

The only player that can skate around and through people is Rielly, important distinction. This makes him the best skater of all on this list. Big advantage.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
The NHL is a skating league, an elite skater goes a long way in the talent department, in that vein I will attempt to compare these 3 skaters.

Gardiner, good speed, glides, tends to skate around players.

Nylander, quick off the mark, breakaway speed, agile and good laterally.

Rielly, quick and powerful, with agility, tends to skate around and through players.

The only player that can skate around and through people is Rielly, important distinction. This makes him the best skater of all on this list. Big advantage.

I don't disagree with you - but skating for a defenseman is a given these days - what I want to see is a guy who can think under pressure and make good decisions with his skating, passing, physical play. My conclusion from watching Gardner repeatedly lose the puck last season is that he does not possess that very important talent - the ability to think like a dependable defenseman.

Mar 26, 2010
I would think its Jake Gardiner. The kid gets no credit for how good he really is. He is the future #1 D in Toronto.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
In this poll, it's almost impossible to pick a winner because of how dynamic these players are. Playing a certain position, a certain style of game, and even for a certain scheme can affect the kind of game you play. How would you rate Kadri's stickhandling against Gardiner's speed? How much of Nylander's game have we seen so far?

I don't disagree with you - but skating for a defenseman is a given these days - what I want to see is a guy who can think under pressure and make good decisions with his skating, passing, physical play. My conclusion from watching Gardner repeatedly lose the puck last season is that he does not possess that very important talent - the ability to think like a dependable defenseman.

I would think a lot of that would be caused as a result of the **** system we employed. It isn't normal when a team that consists of NHLers almost sets a world record in shots against.
Fact is that Gardiner has the ability to take over games with his puck-rushing speed and quick passes. We saw and we loved him in the Boston series and it wasn't a surprise how he managed 5 points in 6 games.

Last edited:

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
In this poll, it's almost impossible to pick a winner because of how dynamic these players are. Playing a certain position, a certain style of game, and even for a certain scheme can affect the kind of game you play. How would you rate Kadri's stickhandling against Gardiner's speed? How much of Nylander's game have we seen so far?
I would think a lot of that would be caused as a result of the **** system we employed. It isn't normal when a team that consists of NHLers almost sets a world record in shots against.
Fact is that Gardiner has the ability to take over games with his puck-rushing speed and quick passes. We saw and we loved him in the Boston series and it wasn't a surprise how he managed 5 points in 6 games.

That's a well thought out post. Both Gardiner and Kadri have shown a level of play that the other two haven't at this time. I'm sure they will soon enough. However if you have to judge them at this point, I don't see how you can go anything other than Gardiner and Kadri as 1-2, Reilly at 3, lastly Nylander at 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad