Who is the greatest Ranger ever?

Who is the greatest NYR ever?

• Total voters

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
Honorable mention, Jaromir Jagr for helping turn the franchise around after 7 years of missing the playoffs and turning the team into a winner and playoff team. He did this basically on his own scoring 56 goals in the 2005-06 season to break Adam Graves record of 52 goals as most in Rangers history by a player.

Reactions: Cynical TyranT

Jxmarts

Sep 8, 2008
So if I meet a girl and create utter stress for her then buy her a car..that makes it right ?? You suppose what ?? The brian Noonan mattaue trades was what Keenan wanted. I f u kept the 3 players listed above..you don't need some bimbo goal in ot in a game 7 !!! You forgot the articles in papers how the team was imploding in playoffs...benching messier n leetch..I do.

There was definitely a circus element surrounding Keenan in 1994. What I hated most was how he was orchestrating his departure to St. Louis (with Neil Smith's help) while the Rangers were in the playoffs. I remember.

It was a circus the same way the Yankee championships in the late 70's were with Billy & George. But I object to calling it a disaster. The fact remains that 1994 has been our only Stanley Cup year in over 80 years.

Amonte, Gartner and Weight were elite scorers for many years. Weight incidently had been traded for Tikkanen the year before Keenan arrived. But how many Cups did those three win combined through their NHL careers? Zilch... One less than Keenan won in 1994.

It's still true in 2021, but it was true even more so in 1994. You don't win championships by assembling the most scorers. The Rangers had enough scoring. The grinders Keenan insisted on having enabled the Rangers to have the best balanced team they've ever had. It was a roster built for the playoffs. It didn't last beyond that one year, but it was worth it.

Insanity, yes... But I won't describe it as a disaster.

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
There was definitely a circus element surrounding Keenan in 1994. What I hated most was how he was orchestrating his departure to St. Louis (with Neil Smith's help) while the Rangers were in the playoffs. I remember.

It was a circus the same way the Yankee championships in the late 70's were with Billy & George. But I object to calling it a disaster. The fact remains that 1994 has been our only Stanley Cup year in over 80 years.

Amonte, Gartner and Weight were elite scorers for many years. Weight incidently had been traded for Tikkanen the year before Keenan arrived. But how many Cups did those three win combined through their NHL careers? Zilch... One less than Keenan won in 1994.

It's still true in 2021, but it was true even more so in 1994. You don't win championships by assembling the most scorers. The Rangers had enough scoring. The grinders Keenan insisted on having enabled the Rangers to have the best balanced team they've ever had. It was a roster built for the playoffs. It didn't last beyond that one year, but it was worth it.

Insanity, yes... But I won't describe it as a disaster.
Yes sir. Keenan in playoffs was planning to go...and then Neil Smith n mgmt Keenan came up with the public relations move that he is out of his contract bc the bonus payment was a day late.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Lundqvist
Park
Leetch

of those that I've seen.

Where's Ratelle??

I'm, I think fairly close to you in age as I'm 57 and started to follow Rangers right around 1970ish. Ratelle was other than Esposito the dominant center in hockey for close to 10 years....agreed? He has to be in the top 3-4 of all Ranger players ever even tho he went to Boston and had some outstanding years there.

I'm with you on Park and said so in my comments previously, as he also in the conversation as well seeing other than Orr, he was the dominant defenseman in the game for a 10 year period as well.

If I had to rank my top 5 Rangers I ever saw it would be:

Leetch
Ratelle
Park
Lundqvist
Greshner tho it's close between he and Steve Vickers

Reactions: leetch99

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Greatest Ranger ever is Frank Boucher in my book. The tier of players very close to him includes Bill Cook, Leetch, Lundqvist, Bathgate, and Messier. Gilbert, Ratelle, Park, Giacomin, Bun Cook, Ching Johnson, Richter, and maybe a few others are in my third tier.

Mess probably deserves to be in that third tier but I'm pretty biased.

I'm on two hours of sleep so I might be missing someone obvious.
Yes, if the question is: Who is the greatest Ranger ever? The answer is Frank Boucher. The New York Rangers have won the Stanley Cup four times, and Boucher was involved with three of them (twice as a player, once as the coach).

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Best two hands down in my lifetime were Leetch and Hank
Messier still remains the most popular. His second act was a disaster.
Jagr should have remained a Ranger for another 5 years

Deleted member 23124

Is he still a thing? Haven't been to the garden in years and no one used to actually call him "dancing" larry.
My last games were in the season before the lockdown...and he was still there....and they are calling him Dancing Larry now (at least that's how the fans refer to him).

Reactions: Irishguy42

Deleted member 23124

Where's Ratelle??

I'm, I think fairly close to you in age as I'm 57 and started to follow Rangers right around 1970ish. Ratelle was other than Esposito the dominant center in hockey for close to 10 years....agreed? He has to be in the top 3-4 of all Ranger players ever even tho he went to Boston and had some outstanding years there.

I'm with you on Park and said so in my comments previously, as he also in the conversation as well seeing other than Orr, he was the dominant defenseman in the game for a 10 year period as well.

If I had to rank my top 5 Rangers I ever saw it would be:

Leetch
Ratelle
Park
Lundqvist
Greshner tho it's close between he and Steve Vickers
Finally -- some love for the G-man.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
No mention of Mats Zuccarelly? Absolute heathens.

My vote goes to the only player with the moniker 'King'

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I hate to be that guy but it’s kinda reasonable not to count anything before like 1970 and since then the answer has to be Leetch.

The same reason no one really counts Norm Van Brocklin or YA Tittle or Otto Graham among the NFL’s all time great QBs anymore. It’s a different game.
If you’ve seen this photograph, you’ll never forget it. Y.A. Tittle.
upload_2021-8-8_8-49-6.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad