Who is the greatest Ranger ever?

Who is the greatest NYR ever?

• Total voters

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
@Crease has the last time we ranked the top Rangers at each position.

I believe the final results were:

C - Frank Boucher
W - Bill Cook
D - Brian Leetch
G - Henrik Lundqvist

Lots of quality honorable mentions, including Jean Ratelle (C), Mark Messier (C), Andy Bathgate (W), Rod Gilbert (W), Brad Park (D), Harry Howell (D), Eddie Giacomin (G) and Mike Richter (G).

Reactions: Greg02

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Made the worst trade in franchise history...Ratelle/Park for Espo/Vadnais. This place would have exploded had it existed at that time.
I remember sitting here in the den and hearing it on the radio. My dad and I were shocked.

But back then you bitch about it to each other, a few kids at school, or on your block for a day, and ya move on with life.

But even then a 10 year old knew it was a bad move. Vadnais was a punching bag around my parts for quite awhile. Then of course Espo in that Sasoon commercial.
#headinsand

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

C - Frank Boucher
W - Bill Cook
D - Brian Leetch
G - Henrik Lundqvist

Lots of quality honorable mentions, including Jean Ratelle (C), Mark Messier (C), Andy Bathgate (W), Rod Gilbert (W), Brad Park (D), Harry Howell (D), Eddie Giacomin (G) and Mike Richter (G).
I’m sticking with Willie Huber to the grave

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
As great as Leetch and Richter were there's absolutely no chance this franchise wins a cup without Messier's influence on this team and the fact that his old oiler buddies were all too happy to come on down to ranger land.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
upload_2021-5-13_12-15-55.jpeg

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA

C - Frank Boucher
W - Bill Cook
D - Brian Leetch
G - Henrik Lundqvist

Frank Boucher and Bill Cook. Were people voting from the the other side?

Reactions: Cynical TyranT

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Bill Cook, Jean Ratelle, Brian Leetch, Rod Gilbert, Henrik Lundqvist are the names that immediately come to mind.

In my lifetime, it's pretty much between Leetch and Lundqvist.

I think Messier was the most influential in my time. I think that changes the trajectory and expectations of the franchise completely and Leetch and Richter don't become "Leetch and Richter" without him.

On the spot I'm going to go with Lundqvist. I don't know if anyone ever quite put the team on his back, for as long as he did.

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
I remember sitting here in the den and hearing it on the radio. My dad and I were shocked.

But back then you bitch about it to each other, a few kids at school, or on your block for a day, and ya move on with life.

But even then a 10 year old knew it was a bad move. Vadnais was a punching bag around my parts for quite awhile. Then of course Espo in that Sasoon commercial.
#headinsand
Mike gartner...amonte...Doug weight ..all gone before the playoffs...Mike Keenan disaster. Look at stats after trade...those guys scored

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
Fwiw...nyr never had that wow forward...messier was an Oilers and Canucks. Other teams have superstars....nyr claim to fame is a defenseman

Cynical TyranT

Son of a gun
May 9, 2004
Somewhere in 'merica
I never know how to look at these sorts of things. Are we talking about who's REALLY been the best player to lace em up here? Because honestly, its probably Jagr. If we're talking about the player at their age etc. If you just mean in GENERAL, obviously Gretzky, but if you mean like who was a tried and true RANGERS BLUESHIRT... then yeah probably someone way before my time so I can never comment truthfully on that.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
No but it has to be contextualized. He goes down as a hockey great but then there is always the asterisk “but he was great when there were only 6 teams in the league mostly.”
Arguably, the talent pool was much more concentrated back then because only a handful of guys could even make it to the NHL. So you basically had 6 all-star teams competing.

Of course the amount of people in the general population who played the game was lower, and the game was completely different. So I see what you're saying. But stating that "only 6 teams" is a negative isn't really true.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Jim Dorey and Simo Saarinen

John McLean, Pat Verbeek, Bruce Driver, Brendan Shanahan, Scott Gomez, Bobby Holik

Guy Lafleur, Marcel Dionne, Luc Robitaille, Eric Lindros, Pat Lafontaine, Gretzky, Kurri, Gartner

Reactions: bernmeister

itsPLkielbasa

Aug 30, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Richter has to be top 5. Stood on his head for the cup in 94'.

Robbing Bure will always be one of my favorite moments.

Messier
Leetch
Richter
Lundqvist

Graves for all the off ice charity he has done.

I wasn't around for the days of Gilbert and Giacomin. Born in early 90'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad