Prospect Info: Who is the Canucks #9 prospect?

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Man, in the pre-Gillis era these guys on this list would be our #4/5/6 prospects, loving that they are #10/11/12 types.
ehhh, lets not give him too much credit just yet. I really like the last draft, but it took 5 years to get scouting/drafting clicking, and even then we can't be sure if they're nailed down just yet.

Last edited:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
how did you know about that

anyways i voted for blomstrand. i dont know if i can make strong arguments for his value over a guy like archbald, cannata or hutton but what little i saw of him versus them i was impressed

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Mallet.

I'm going to go our on a limb and say that in about 3-4 years the fans of whatever NHL team he's playing for (and barring injury he will be playing in the NHL somewhere) are going to freaking LOVE him.

arsmaster*

I'm surprised you'd take Archibald over Mallet and Blomstrand -- he does have the size, but in terms of fitting in on a teams bottom 6 I think both of those two are much better. Archibald should get some time in the NHL, but he's also 2-3 years older than those two -- who I think show significantly more potential.

I'd still put more value in McNally, Hutton, & Subban than any of the remaining forwards. Your reasoning makes some sense, but still I wouldn't be trading these guys for potential bottom-6 wingers any time soon, and so their value is higher to me (and I still think Cannata is getting the shaft here).

Mallet (I have hope for him too) had 1assist in 19 AHL games this past season.

Anyone voting him on doing so purely on a development camp SCRIMMAGE. It's crazy to me.

We've already seen Archibald progress through that level and score at a 20 goal pace at the AHL level, like MS already said.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I voted for Hutton. #trustinfeebster
I hope that hashtag isn't spread around! I've been wrong before! :laugh:

-----------

I am a bit surprised Tommernes has gained so many fans in one season, and not a great season at that. :dunno: Might've had a good scrimmage, but he still has a lot of work to do defensively to make it.

Mallet too. Don't see him being in the top 10. Wasn't too impressed with him in Chicago, maybe he didn't get the best chance, but still doesn't erase the merely average season he just had. I see both him and Blomstrand as guys with bottom 6 potential who will come in around 11-15. But i was more impressed with Blomstrand during his short stint. Looked much less passive than before, excellent skating/speed and has a good shot.

-----------

If Hutton wins, my next vote will be for Andersson. I had written him off for his meandering and injury riddled seasons in the Allsvenskan. But I don't think any player impressed me more in training camp or throughout the year. A healthy Andersson is a good player. Started out on the bottom pairing and worked his way on to the top pair with Joslin, playing big minutes. Smart player who is very mobile and tough to beat one on one. Hope we can develop him into a Gunnarsson type of player, a minute muncher, who can shut down defensively but move the puck well.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Hope we can develop him into a Gunnarsson type of player, a minute muncher, who can shut down defensively but move the puck well.

id love to see the number of times a comparable was made between two players and if a disproportionate number of them run along nationality, or in this case, phonetic distribution

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Polasek didn't get much of a chance in the AHL either... sort of in limbo, but definitely not a top 10 prospect.

id love to see the number of times a comparable was made between two players and if a disproportionate number of them run along nationality, or in this case, phonetic distribution

Well after you said that, I tried to find another guy with a different nationality who might be comparable... but none really fit like Gunnarsson does. They really are very similar, in their strengths/weaknesses and in the way they move around the ice.

Might have some similarities to Tanev on paper, but i don't like it. I don't think they look too similar on the ice.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Well after you said that, I tried to find another guy with a different nationality who might be comparable... but none really fit like Gunnarsson does. They really are very similar, in their strengths/weaknesses and in the way they move around the ice.

Might have some similarities to Tanev on paper, but i don't like it. I don't think they look too similar on the ice.

also comparing a defenceman to tanev is like a big neon sign IM A CANUCKS FAN

anderssons a bit of an inferior skater to tanev, right?

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
also comparing a defenceman to tanev is like a big neon sign IM A CANUCKS FAN

anderssons a bit of an inferior skater to tanev, right?

Well I am a Canucks fan :huh: and this is a Canucks subforum... So who can i compare prospects to then? Can't compare them to our own players. Can't compare them to players of the same nationality. Can't compare them to players of a similar sounding name. I'm sort of left with a small pool that may not have any good comparisons.

Andersson is more of a smooth mobile skater, not as fast and not as low to the ice.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Well I am a Canucks fan :huh: and this is a Canucks subforum... So who can i compare prospects to then? Can't compare them to our own players. Can't compare them to players of the same nationality. Can't compare them to players of a similar sounding name. I'm sort of left with a small pool that may not have any good comparisons.

Andersson is more of a smooth mobile skater, not as fast and not as low to the ice.

it was just a knock on the number of times ive heard "like tanev, but shoots better, slower, panics with the puck a lot but hits really hard" or some such from people who are not as well informed. not from you

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Mallet (I have hope for him too) had 1assist in 19 AHL games this past season.

Anyone voting him on doing so purely on a development camp SCRIMMAGE. It's crazy to me.

We've already seen Archibald progress through that level and score at a 20 goal pace at the AHL level, like MS already said.

I don't think people are voting on him based on one scrimmage. He was a very high draft pick and was excellent his final junior year.

More than that though, his skillset is very intriguing and could have him pressing for an NHL job sooner than most other guys.

He's an 8-10 ranked guy for us, in my opinion.

Nov 1, 2011
I don't know much about Peter Andersson. Didn't really notice him watching the Wolves last season. How's he doing? what's his upside?

Last year I thought he was just solid all the time which might be why you didn't notice him.

Big guy, moves well, and I think Frankie and him will possibly be the top pair on the farm.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
It seems to me that no one remaining on the list is a safe bet to make the NHL because every guy left has some hole in his game of one kind or another. Hutton seems to have the highest ceiling, but I would wager either Mallet or Lain is the most likely to have a long NHL career in some capacity. Andersson also seems to have a good shot of becoming at least a bottom pairing dman. And iirc, Gilman said something suggesting he thought that Tommernes was quite likely to see some time on the big club this year. Then there's Archibald who I've always liked, and may be in a similar boat to Tommernes for this season. Blomstrand seems similar to Archibald but a step behind in development and filling a slightly different niche.

I vote Mallet.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
It seems to me that no one remaining on the list is a safe bet to make the NHL because every guy left has some hole in his game of one kind or another. Hutton seems to have the highest ceiling, but I would wager either Mallet or Lain is the most likely to have a long NHL career in some capacity. Andersson also seems to have a good shot of becoming at least a bottom pairing dman. And iirc, Gilman said something suggesting he thought that Tommernes was quite likely to see some time on the big club this year. Then there's Archibald who I've always liked, and may be in a similar boat to Tommernes for this season. Blomstrand seems similar to Archibald but a step behind in development and filling a slightly different niche.

I vote Mallet.

There is definitely a huge drop off after the top 6 skaters. I agree that none below the top 6 are safe bets at this point. Even if none below this top 6 group make an impact at the NHL level, we're still doing alright if the top 6 live up to expectations.

I consider the goaltenders on a different scale, Lack, Eriksson and Cannata all have a good chance of seeing games as back-ups, and Lack is closer than the other two, but are any future NHL starters? Which has the highest ceiling?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

I vote Mallet.

Surprised Archibald isn't getting the nod here, but upside does play a factor. Still, his hockey sense and size are traits teams covet. His motor is there, and he has improved upon his skating. To me, he's player closest to cracking the roster in the here and now (agree with MS and arsmaster here). So I view him as the 9th best prospect.

Edit: A shame Price isn't part of the list.

ZKass The Bass

Feb 10, 2013
London
Surprised Archibald isn't getting the nod here, but upside does play a factor. Still, his hockey sense and size are traits teams covet. His motor is there, and he has improved upon his skating. To me, he's player closest to cracking the roster in the here and now (agree with MS and arsmaster here). So I view him as the 9th best prospect.

Edit: A shame Price isn't part of the list.

I very much like Archibald as well. I remember at one point in the season he was the guy to score goals for the Wolves. What puzzles me is Mallet. He was misused in the AHL and while he succeeded in the ECHL, it's not something to get excited about. A rather poor season, not entirely his fault but it wasn't enough to earn my vote.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I very much like Archibald as well. I remember at one point in the season he was the guy to score goals for the Wolves. What puzzles me is Mallet. He was misused in the AHL and while he succeeded in the ECHL, it's not something to get excited about. A rather poor season, not entirely his fault but it wasn't enough to earn my vote.

Lack, Tanev, Archibald, Lain, Eriksson, McEneny... more FA signings like this and the Canucks will have a restocked pool in short order. All of these players have NHL level abilities/qualities. Archibald being the latest example of someone that has a legit shot at moving up.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
I went with Mallet, even though his ceiling isn't as high as some others. I think he just had a slow start to his pro career and he will get better. I believe his game will translate well to the NHL, and he could end up a really useful bottom -6 F. Maybe I just see a fair amount of bust-potential in the rest, or maybe Mallet's hair is just too awesome.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Decided to go with Andersson... slightly surprised with the results so far. Not too surprised Mallet is winning since i was sure he'll get votes due to his draft status despite him having a pretty year in terms of development (namely being cut from the AHL team after 15 or so games).

Hutton and Tommernes is surprising since Hutton is really a long term prospect who showed some offensive skill last year and a great year of development but really is still a project. Tommernes looked good in Europe so his first year in NA would be interesting. No idea how either is ranked higher than Andersson tho who had a great year last year and likely the most ready prospect out of all the prospect left and should be a lock on the Comets top 4 (if not top 2) while Tommernes needs to make the team. Not to mention Andersson is also younger...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad