Prospect Info: Who is the Canucks #9 prospect?

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I went with Hutton. I like his skillset and what he's shown so far at a good level of hockey. Cannata was close, Tommernes a little further back.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Peter Andersson and it's not that close IMO.

I don't know much about Peter Andersson. Didn't really notice him watching the Wolves last season. How's he doing? what's his upside?

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Peter Andersson and it's not that close IMO.

He's close with Hutton, but I give it to him just based on upside. Andersson is obviously closer to being NHL ready. He may see some time this year. As we all know, our defense will get deleted at some point.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
For me, the rest of the prospects fit into tiers:

Potential top-4 defenders (Hutton, Subban, and McNally)
Relatively safe, but low upside players (Archibald, Blomstrand, Mallet, Tommernes, and Andersson)
Players with potential but we need to see more (LaBate, Cassels, Polasek, and others)
Players with big question marks

It was a tough decision between Subban and Hutton for me at this point, basically a coin flip really.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008

Relatively safe, but low upside players (Archibald, Blomstrand, Mallet, Tommernes, and Andersson)
Players with potential but we need to see more (LaBate, Cassels, Polasek, and others)

It was a tough decision between Subban and Hutton for me at this point, basically a coin flip really.

Agreed with these rankings. Though, I think Tommernes fits into the "potential but we need to see more" category.

I voted for Hutton. #trustinfeebster

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

Tommernes has high upside, but isn't safe. Offensively, he's an NHLer, but it's his defense that needs work.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Tommernes has high upside, but isn't safe. Offensively, he's an NHLer, but it's his defense that needs work.

His numbers in the SEL don't exactly scream NHL calibre offensive defender. I'd be shocked if he was more than a 30 point player with regular PP time, and he's probably closer to a 20 point player. For a guy who is small and apparently isn't a great defender, that's a bottom-pairing skillset.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Went with Archibald. To me at this point the 'upside' guys are long enough longshots that I'd take the safe players ahead of them.

IMO he's the most likely to see a significant chunk of action for the NHL club next year. Made huge strides last season and scored at a 20-goal pace after his recall, and is the sort of big, gritty, two-way body teams like in their bottom 6.

arsmaster*

Went with Archibald. To me at this point the 'upside' guys are long enough longshots that I'd take the safe players ahead of them.

IMO he's the most likely to see a significant chunk of action for the NHL club next year. Made huge strides last season and scored at a 20-goal pace after his recall, and is the sort of big, gritty, two-way body teams like in their bottom 6.
This.

Pseudonymous*

Had to go with Mallet because he really stood out and looked great at that scrimmage and according to his stats, he does take a while to offensively adapt. His hands and skating look to be of someone who can put up pts in the ahl (and obviously his fighting and size too), and i think we'll see a pretty good improvement this year if given the chance.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009

I'm surprised you'd take Archibald over Mallet and Blomstrand -- he does have the size, but in terms of fitting in on a teams bottom 6 I think both of those two are much better. Archibald should get some time in the NHL, but he's also 2-3 years older than those two -- who I think show significantly more potential.

I'd still put more value in McNally, Hutton, & Subban than any of the remaining forwards. Your reasoning makes some sense, but still I wouldn't be trading these guys for potential bottom-6 wingers any time soon, and so their value is higher to me (and I still think Cannata is getting the shaft here).

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I'm surprised you'd take Archibald over Mallet and Blomstrand -- he does have the size, but in terms of fitting in on a teams bottom 6 I think both of those two are much better. Archibald should get some time in the NHL, but he's also 2-3 years older than those two -- who I think show significantly more potential.

I'd still put more value in McNally, Hutton, & Subban than any of the remaining forwards. Your reasoning makes some sense, but still I wouldn't be trading these guys for potential bottom-6 wingers any time soon, and so their value is higher to me (and I still think Cannata is getting the shaft here).

It's hard to rank Cannata. We haven't seen enough of him to rank him anywhere.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Man, in the pre-Gillis era these guys on this list would be our #4/5/6 prospects, loving that they are #10/11/12 types.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad