Prospect Info: Who is the Canucks #16 prospect?

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
Subbans ceilings wins this.

People seeing he's overrated because of his brothers.. I can't be the only one that thinks that's just a plus for his developement? I mean he has his own brothers to push him and teach him what it takes to become an NHLer. For example- I don't think Jordan Staal would be as good if he didn't have Eric as an older brother.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
Subbans ceilings wins this.

People seeing he's overrated because of his brothers.. I can't be the only one that thinks that's just a plus for his developement? I mean he has his own brothers to push him and teach him what it takes to become an NHLer. For example- I don't think Jordan Staal would be as good if he didn't have Eric as an older brother.

Hopefully they can teach him to grow 4 inches.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
You have to consider that Archibald's chances of reaching his ceiling is so much higher than Subban's that is makes up for the difference in their upsides.

To what extent does it cover though?

Say player a has the potential to be a starting goalie/top 4 dman/top 6 foward but ended up making it as a Clemmensen/ma Bergeron/Kyle wellwood is that still not better than player b who was projected to be a backup/bottom pairing dman/bottom 6 foward making it as a leighton/Alberts/steckel?

Last edited:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
You have to consider that Archibald's chances of reaching his ceiling is so much higher than Subban's that is makes up for the difference in their upsides.

does it make up the difference in their value though? Could we currently trade darren archibald for a 3rd round pick?

or even a 4th?

edit: this makes the assumption one thinks subban was worth a 3rd

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
does it make up the difference in their value though? Could we currently trade darren archibald for a 3rd round pick?

or even a 4th?

edit: this makes the assumption one thinks subban was worth a 3rd

Possibly a fourth, which is what Subban is until he proves himself to be better than that. Archibald has bottom 6 upside and has put up decent AHL numbers. I say he's almost a sure bet to eventually make the Canucks. I would give Subban a 5% chance, and that is mostly as a #6/7 PP guy.

I want Jordan to succeed, but I don't think it will happen. Just because his name is Subban, does not discard his obvious shortcomings as a potential NHL defender.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Oh you are so clever.

Alright well I guess we should write him off as a wasted pick then. Why have any optimism for your teams prospect?

Obviously there is a chance, but that pick was a hail mary, and you really can't expect him to reach his ceiling, but rather be ecstatic if he does. I can't remember the last time a fourth rounder got this much hype.

Pseudonymous*

Hopefully they can teach him to grow 4 inches.

No doubt. I think a large percent of the voters for him think the chances of him growing more than a half inch is likely? Or they just dont know the percent of NHL defenders that are his size. :laugh:

yoss

May 25, 2011
Is it too late to change Subban into a winger or forward at this point?

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Obviously there is a chance, but that pick was a hail mary, and you really can't expect him to reach his ceiling, but rather be ecstatic if he does. I can't remember the last time a fourth rounder got this much hype.

How is he getting "this much hype"?

He's ranked outside of our top-15 prospects, which means he's assumed to be a long shot to make the NHL. He's no different than a guy like Cammarata or Grimaldi or Vatanen who all have a lot of offensive potential but concerns about size increase the overall risk of making it in the NHL.

He might not be likely to make the NHL, but he can still be valued more than a guy whose upside is a decent bottom-6er.

Essentially it would be somewhat like taking a 20% chance at $1000 over a 50% at $100.(numbers are completely made up for the sake of the argument, not trying to pin down the exact odds)

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Ballard played wing just last season.

:)

Jim Vandermeer played both
Aaron Rome

Not to mention, Paul Reinhart and Ed Jovanovski played forward during power plays.

S_C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad