Prospect Info: Who is the Canucks #16 prospect?

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Cassels followed by Cederholm. When in doubt go with draft order.

Back to Subban. Virtually nobody grows 2-3" after their draft year. The only guy that I remember came close was Peter Forseberg. 1/2" gain in height is what can be reasonably expected for the vast majority of these guys. Some won't gain anything, vertically.

He's the reason I give MG an 8 instead of a 9 for this draft (I don't give 10s to mortals). I ask myself what more can Jordan do in the next 3-4 years to better his chances to be an NHLer? Put on 20 pounds, put up godly numbers, or maybe go play in an elite man's league in Europe and win the best D man award. Then when he does get a handful of games up here he can put up points, score game winners, be a plus player, look competent, but it still won't be enough (see Lee Sweatt).

The odds for 5'8 1/2" forwards are daunting enough. With D men we're in winning the lottery territory. That said, the Nucks had a very good draft and played the percentages with all their other picks.

-forwards early, D men late. Check.
-BPAs and obvious sliders. Check.
-positional needs accounted for. Check

That ought to earn them one 4th round trip to wonderland.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Went with McEnemy. Has the least to overcome with a ceiling as hiigh as anyoene left on the board (with the possible exception of Subban IF jordan has a growth spurt).

Subban has to overcome his size. Archibald has to overcome his lack of footspeed, and his lack of pedigree to a degree. Lain has to overcome being an undrafted college FA. Labate has to overcome balance and physicality issues. Didn't Grenier get sent to Europe, or am I thinking of someone else.

Someone like Cassels is enticing, but doesn't get my vote yet. Same with Cederhollm (sp?). Really at this point we're splitting hairs between the top few options, but I give McEnemy the nod based on feebsters review of his strong two-way game.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
After looking at the remaining prospects, I chose Polasek over McEneny - and there are a few that I just don't know much about. Polasek is big, pretty tough, and I think he has enough vision and positioning to have a chance.

I think a lot of the other choices have bigger limitations:
Grenier: lack of intensity, defense
Archibald: skating
Subban: size
Cassels: ?
McEneny: physicality
Labate: skating, agility
Lain: offence
Cederholm: ? (abuse of training equipment?)
Friesen: size
Myron: ?
Beattie: ?

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
I'm voting Labate and am surprised he hasn't gone earlier. Very intriguing package and has progressed steadily, to my knowledge.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I'm voting Labate and am surprised he hasn't gone earlier. Very intriguing package and has progressed steadily, to my knowledge.

Actually Labate had a pretty down year. Wisconsin started the season missing a couple top players and I was hoping he'd step up, instead he disappeared. Didn't begin producing until the second half when they returned.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Of the guys that remain, I like Cedarholm, Subban, and Archibald and think they have a good chance to step up into SOMETHING.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Just for fun, I thought I would compare the remaining prospects to the Ghosts of Canucks Prospects Past:

Grenier = Fedor Fedorov
Archibald = Matt Pope
Subban = Patrick Coulombe
Cassels = Harold Druken
McEneny = Brett Skinner
Labate = Andrew Sarauer
Lain = Matt Butcher
Cederholm = Daniel Rahimi
Polasek = Nathan McIver
Friesen = Mario Bliznak
Myron = Prab Rai
Beattie = Nicklas Danielsson

RealGudbranson

Jun 19, 2008
After looking at the remaining prospects, I chose Polasek over McEneny - and there are a few that I just don't know much about. Polasek is big, pretty tough, and I think he has enough vision and positioning to have a chance.

I think a lot of the other choices have bigger limitations:
McEneny: physicality

I watched McEneny really closely when Rangers games were available on TV. Physicality did not seem to be his problem. Each game he'd lay some poor sod out with an open ice-hit, or by pushing them when they were off-balance, or something. The main problem McEneny has, and it's been well-documented on here, is that he stays on the ice for a loooooooooong time. After staying on for a minute or two, he'll do something stupid, like get turned inside out, or throw a telegraphed pass right onto the stick of a fore-checker. I'm hoping one of him, Polasek, or Cedarholm (or more) can develop into a mean, "rangy" #4 D for the Nucks.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Just for fun, I thought I would compare the remaining prospects to the Ghosts of Canucks Prospects Past:

Grenier = Fedor Fedorov
Archibald = Matt Pope
Subban = Patrick Coulombe
Cassels = Harold Druken
McEneny = Brett Skinner
Labate = Andrew Sarauer
Lain = Matt Butcher
Cederholm = Daniel Rahimi
Polasek = Nathan McIver
Friesen = Mario Bliznak
Myron = Prab Rai
Beattie = Nicklas Danielsson

Gross! I think we have different ideas of "fun" :p:

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
I watched McEneny really closely when Rangers games were available on TV. Physicality did not seem to be his problem. Each game he'd lay some poor sod out with an open ice-hit, or by pushing them when they were off-balance, or something. The main problem McEneny has, and it's been well-documented on here, is that he stays on the ice for a loooooooooong time. After staying on for a minute or two, he'll do something stupid, like get turned inside out, or throw a telegraphed pass right onto the stick of a fore-checker. I'm hoping one of him, Polasek, or Cedarholm (or more) can develop into a mean, "rangy" #4 D for the Nucks.

That's encouraging - I haven't seen him play in the OHL.

S_C

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Time to add Ronald Kenins to the mix? He's 22, technically can be called a prospect.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
My 16-20:
Archibald
Labate
Cassels
Mceneny
Subban

I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of the new draftees (Cassels, Cederholm) rise dramatically by next summer. There's also a few players seeing their first full year of AHL hockey, which is usually when you find out what a prospect is really made of. Jensen, Eriksson, Mallet, Tommernes, Blomstrand and Cannata could all see their stock either rise dramatically or peter out based on what they do on the ice this year.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The players we are now picking are LONG shots to make the NHL. This is why I'm surprisedmSubban didn't go higher. He clearly has size issues but his ceiling is much higher than a lot of these scrubs. I guess it just depends on what you prioritize; but I'm curious why dime a dozen players are chosen over Jordan Subban who has way more tools.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
The players we are now picking are LONG shots to make the NHL. This is why I'm surprisedmSubban didn't go higher. He clearly has size issues but his ceiling is much higher than a lot of these scrubs. I guess it just depends on what you prioritize; but I'm curious why dime a dozen players are chosen over Jordan Subban who has way more tools.
Pretty much.

Yeah, betting on a 5'8 defenseman is ill-advised but so is betting against a Subban.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Pretty much.

Yeah, betting on a 5'8 defenseman is ill-advised but so is betting against a Subban.

Only one Subban has made the bigs yet.

I've been voting for Lain as he seems to have size, physicality, skating and F/O's on his side. Those qualities alone could make for a good 4th line center. Maybe we'll even get another Scatchard out of him.

After him, Cassels... if it comes to that.

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
Why is height a deciding factor for Dman?
I understand weight and size are important factors, but height?

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
why would anybody be choosing subban over casssels? there's a reason why he was selected a round sooner last month and looked pretty good in the scrimmage

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Why is height a deciding factor for Dman?
I understand weight and size are important factors, but height?

Reach. It's more important for a Dman IMO than a forward, as so much of their game is gap control while skating backwards. Chara is Chara in large part due to his extreme height.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
why would anybody be choosing subban over casssels? there's a reason why he was selected a round sooner last month and looked pretty good in the scrimmage

Because ultimate potential plays a big factor in how people(especially fans) view prospects.

Subban has the potential to be a true game breaker. Cassels is unlikely to become more than a dime a dozen bottom-6 player.

While obviously Cassels has the better chance at making the NHL in some capacity, being limited as a player to the same types that are available every year in free agency or in trades for cheap doesn't really endear him to people.

Whereas Subban might end up like a guy like Brian Campbell, even if the odds are extremely small he does get to that level.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Loving the love for Polasek, even though I didn't vote for him here. I still really like him. I feel he hasn't gotten a really fair opportunity here. There was a two week stretch at the end of March/beginning of April where he was playing great hockey, top 4 minutes. Was solid defensively, physical and chipped in offensively without a second of PP time. The Wolves Colour guy made a point of talking about how impressed he was with Polasek every game during that stretch and he also interviewed Arniel who said that Polasek was his best defenseman at that point. Then others got healthy and the Wolves got more defenseman at the trade deadline, forcing Polasek out of the lineup. I hope he gets a chance at the top 4 for Utica this season, I think he deserves it.

If we are adding Kenins, we should add Blain as well. Even though I'm not a fan, I think he is still considered a prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad