Prospect Info: Who is the Canucks #16 prospect?

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
At some point pure skill has to win out...Subban is falling too much. He's a guy who if he has a small growth spurt is going to be one of our better dmen prospects

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
At some point pure skill has to win out...Subban is falling too much. He's a guy who if he has a small growth spurt is going to be one of our better dmen prospects

I don't get why people prefer guys with very low ceilings to a guy who has a very high ceiling. Subban should easily be ahead of someone like Archibald who's a dime a dozen prospect.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I don't get why people prefer guys with very low ceilings to a guy who has a very high ceiling. Subban should easily be ahead of someone like Archibald who's a dime a dozen prospect.

Cause Subban most likely won't touch the NHL, I think that should factor in and force a little asterisk next to his high ceiling.

arsmaster*

Subban is tiny. Like just tiny. Jacked up 17 year olds don't often grow taller (ask Jordan Schroeder). I don't see him getting any taller, so it makes him ever playing in the NHL and extreme long shot for me.

It's been said before, if his last name was Blooblan, he'd be a nothing/Joey Laleggia type prospect.

Archibald is going to play in the NHL this year and has goal scoring touch. Big and strong and willing to defend himself and teammates. People btched and moaned that Dwight King and Jordan Nolan dominated us two years ago, well, I'm projecting Archibald to have a similar impact.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Anyone think maybe a couple of the the last six could elbow their way into the top 10?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Cause Subban most likely won't touch the NHL, I think that should factor in and force a little asterisk next to his high ceiling.

Most of these prospects most likely won't touch the NHL.

Subban is tiny. Like just tiny. Jacked up 17 year olds don't often grow taller (ask Jordan Schroeder). I don't see him getting any taller, so it makes him ever playing in the NHL and extreme long shot for me.

It's been said before, if his last name was Blooblan, he'd be a nothing/Joey Laleggia type prospect.

Archibald is going to play in the NHL this year and has goal scoring touch. Big and strong and willing to defend himself and teammates. People btched and moaned that Dwight King and Jordan Nolan dominated us two years ago, well, I'm projecting Archibald to have a similar impact.

I wouldn't say for certain that Subban won't grow at all going further. He's 18 years old, and his offensive production in the OHL rivalled any defenseman that went in the first round! The only things that dropped him down the draft were his size and his defensive play. PK Subban was a poor defensive defenseman and was only two inches taller when he was drafted in the second round, and now he's a Norris winner. Brian Rafalski was small and had a great career. Ditto with Brian Campbell, Kimmo Timonen, etc. Hell, even look at what Torey Krug did for Boston in the playoffs.

If Subban's name was Blondin people would be all over him about what a great young offensive defenseman we have. But because his name is Subban most people seemingly jump on the "oh well his last name is Subban so that must be why people like him" bandwagon.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver

The thing is, Archibald's upside is MAYBE a third liner. Considering PK grew 2-3 inches after being drafted, there's nothing to say Jordan can't. And if he does, the sky is the limit... as in top pairing potential. I take that potential over the ceiling of Archibald every time.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Most of these prospects most likely won't touch the NHL.

I bet Archibald makes the NHL

I wouldn't say for certain that Subban won't grow at all going further. He's 18 years old, and his offensive production in the OHL rivalled any defenseman that went in the first round! The only things that dropped him down the draft were his size and his defensive play. PK Subban was a poor defensive defenseman and was only two inches taller when he was drafted in the second round, and now he's a Norris winner. Brian Rafalski was small and had a great career. Ditto with Brian Campbell, Kimmo Timonen, etc. Hell, even look at what Torey Krug did for Boston in the playoffs.

If Subban's name was Blondin people would be all over him about what a great young offensive defenseman we have. But because his name is Subban most people seemingly jump on the "oh well his last name is Subban so that must be why people like him" bandwagon.

That's not really how players with NHL brothers/relatives work. It actually is the exact opposite. People think that because PK made such strides that Jordan will be able to do the same. I bet if he was Blondin, then everyone would say that is too small and won't ever make the NHL. IMO he is one of our more overrated prospects.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
The thing is, Archibald's upside is MAYBE a third liner. Considering PK grew 2-3 inches after being drafted, there's nothing to say Jordan can't. And if he does, the sky is the limit... as in top pairing potential. I take that potential over the ceiling of Archibald every time.

You have to consider that Archibald's chances of reaching his ceiling is so much higher than Subban's that is makes up for the difference in their upsides.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I bet Archibald makes the NHL

That's not really how players with NHL brothers/relatives work. It actually is the exact opposite. People think that because PK made such strides that Jordan will be able to do the same. I bet if he was Blondin, then everyone would say that is too small and won't ever make the NHL. IMO he is one of our more overrated prospects.

I'm saying that in this case people are playing this card too much in the opposite manner, and ignoring what Subban has actually accomplished and what his potential is.

arsmaster*

The 2 inches is a huge difference. Barely 5'9" to 5'11" is a big difference.

You just named 3 all star NHLers, there is no grey area, either you're an NHL all star, or you're plying you're trade in Europe.

PK wasn't 5'9" at the draft. He was 5'11" and Jordan is a lot more physically developed.
I'm saying that in this case people are playing this card too much in the opposite manner, and ignoring what Subban has actually accomplished and what his potential is.
Not really, he's totally getting hype because of his last name.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Archibald for me. Size and defensive play are big issues for a defenseman. Not impossible for Subban to overcome but until I see growth in those two areas he will be below the likes of Archibald and LaBate.

Classels needs some love too. He's in danger of not even making the top 20...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The 2 inches is a huge difference. Barely 5'9" to 5'11" is a big difference.

You just named 3 all star NHLers, there is no grey area, either you're an NHL all star, or you're plying you're trade in Europe.

Marc-Andre Bergeron, Francis Bouillon, John-Michael Liles, Lubomir Visnovsky, Andrew Ference, Bret Lebda, Mike Weaver, Alex Goligoski, Dan Boyle, Tobias Enstrom, Ian White, just to name a few more. Should I continue?

PK wasn't 5'9" at the draft. He was 5'11" and Jordan is a lot more physically developed.

Not really, he's totally getting hype because of his last name.

No one is saying Jordan will be a Norris winner either. But he does have 2nd pairing upside IMO. I don't believe he's getting hype because of his last name, I think he's getting hype because he was a top scorer as a defenseman on an OHL team that was weak offensively. I believe he's getting hype because he scored more goals (but 5 fewer points) than Seth Jones, while playing in a clearly inferior offensive lineup.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Almost went McEneny, but switched to Polasek because he's already a pro and doing quite well by all accounts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad