Who is the Calgary Flames' best player?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's Giordano, and then Gaudreau.
Giordano is ugly underrated on this board, guy's a pure 1D. Can shutdown the other teams' best players, and will spend most of the night in the opposing zone. Kills penalties, 2nd unit PP, skates well, great leader and is a fitness freak.

Gaudreau is the most skilled player on the team, but even with his weakest professional season yet, the Flames were still a playoff team.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I thought Sam Bennet was the guy? No? Hmmm could of swore I heard some people say he was easily the best of his draft class and a guaranteed superstar. Next Doug Gilmore?

Anyways, sorry for being a jerk but with the draft just taking place I felt I had to remind people of the hype.

I am going to say Hamilton is Calgary's best player moving forward.

Gio is getting old.

Johnny is looking more the one dimensional perimeter player than I thought he would be.

Monahan is a great scorer but little else.

Maybe Backlund.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yeah, I think it's really close between Backlund and Giordano. Both are fantastic.

I think Gaudreau could be the best, but it's hard to say that after last season created a fair deal of doubt.

Funny how a 23 year old can score 61 points in 72 games (leading the team in scoring with 10 games missed to injury) while playing half the year with Alex Chiasson, and that "creates doubt" that he could be the team's best player lol.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Our best winger is Johnny Gaudreau, but last year it was Matthew Tkachuk.
Our best center is Mikael Backlund.
Our best defenseman is TJ Brodie, but last year it was Mark Giordano.
Overall TJ Brodie is our best player.

Our best player going forward is going to be either Sam Bennett or Mark Jankowski. Once these two put it together they will leave Gaudreau, Backlund, Monahan, Giordano, Hamilton all in the dust.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Gio.

I think Flames are built like a 'lite' version of the Hawks.

Oil are built like a 'lite' version of the pens.

Should be an interesting BOA the next few years.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Gaudreau is easily the team's most talented and dangerous offensive player and Giordano is team's best overall player and leader. It's probably pretty close if all things are taken into consideration.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
This thread makes me realize the Flames don't really have any true standout players. Gio is a good player great during stretches but that's about it. Johnny is probably the best player in the league at keeping the puck on his stick but he's too inconsistent and flat lined during the playoffs.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Sorry. Gaudreau way overrated. He cashed in and Happy now. Monahan going forward.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I thought Sam Bennet was the guy? No? Hmmm could of swore I heard some people say he was easily the best of his draft class and a guaranteed superstar. Next Doug Gilmore?

Anyways, sorry for being a jerk but with the draft just taking place I felt I had to remind people of the hype.

Gio is getting old.

Johnny is looking more the one dimensional perimeter player than I thought he would be.

Maybe Backlund.

I'm not as high on Bennett as most FLames fans are, but the thing with Bennett is he's still a good player, just being used improperly by the Flames. However part of that has to do with the Flames over insanity of LHS forwards. If the Preds drafted Bennett, they probably wouldn't even have traded for Johansen.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I'm not as high on Bennett as most FLames fans are, but the thing with Bennett is he's still a good player, just being used improperly by the Flames. However part of that has to do with the Flames over insanity of LHS forwards. If the Preds drafted Bennett, they probably wouldn't even have traded for Johansen.

If Bennett deserved more ice time this last season he would have played like it. A lot of the time he was pretty much invisible

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If Bennett deserved more ice time this last season he would have played like it. A lot of the time he was pretty much invisible

I get that, but let's be honest playing with Brouwer doesn't help. If our LW depth and center depth weren't so strong, Bennett would be playing more and having better results, but still not very good results.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Gio is getting old.

Maybe Backlund.

It's okay. We all knew that Nilsson and Sam Gagner were going to be stars for the Oil a few years back; at least that's what we were told. Then we waited for RHN to become the next Toews of the league. Then we heard how Nail was going to be the next coming of Ovechkin.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
As far as last season play goes, Brodie is our third best defenseman so I don't know how anyone same could argue that he's our best player. He might rise again with hamonic as his partner but I doubt he'll pass Hamilton or gio.
Tkachuk has a good chance of getting there but he's not quite Gaudreau or Monahan level for me yet. Would like to see him as 1rw to round out that trio as our first line next year, he could be our best player moving forward. At this point I think Bennett tops out around 60 points so he's out of contention.

Gaudreau Monahan and giordano all have definite cases. Backlund is awesome but he's not winning the cup as your #1 c (defense is amazing but the offense will never be enough).
I pick Monahan.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
As far as last season play goes, Brodie is our third best defenseman so I don't know how anyone same could argue that he's our best player. He might rise again with hamonic as his partner but I doubt he'll pass Hamilton or gio.
Tkachuk has a good chance of getting there but he's not quite Gaudreau or Monahan level for me yet. Would like to see him as 1rw to round out that trio as our first line next year, he could be our best player moving forward. At this point I think Bennett tops out around 60 points so he's out of contention.

Gaudreau Monahan and giordano all have definite cases. Backlund is awesome but he's not winning the cup as your #1 c (defense is amazing but the offense will never be enough).
I pick Monahan.

Brodie is inconsistent but when he's on his game he's our best player

Sadly we didn't get to see it much this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad