Who is the Calgary Flames' best player?

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Hall finished top 10 in scoring 2 times.

Kessel finished top 10 in scoring 2 times.

Gaudreau once.

They're all in the exact same ball park for points per game in their career (0.86-0.88)

You need to step back from that Gaudreau Kane comparison, it's gonna leave you very disappointed.

Gaudreau is nowhere near Kane.

Did Kessel and Hall finish top 10 in scoring within their first three seasons?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not some 60 point winger like Gaudreau, Kessel had better production in Toronto and you guys are comparing him to Kane. Get real.
Any Kane comparisons are due to style of play. Kessel was also 25 when he finally broke 65 points and flirted with a point per game. Gaudreau did that at 22 and then had a tough year where he struggled with a serious hand injury.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Any Kane comparisons are due to style of play. Kessel was also 25 when he finally broke 65 points and flirted with a point per game. Gaudreau did that at 22 and then had a tough year where he struggled with a serious hand injury.

Ok.. how does that make Gaudreau levels ahead of Kessel and Hall right now? He isn't.

Kessel and Hall are not on the same planet as Kane and Gaudreau. Not close.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Did Kessel and Hall finish top 10 in scoring within their first three seasons?

How does that make current Gaudreau better than Kessel in TO? Or Hall in Edmonton? No one is comparing them at the same age. Stop being sensitive, the guy said Gaudreau would be similar to Hall and Kessel as wingers leading a team to which a flame homer said Gaurdeau is better than either of them were.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Gio is megaman
Gaudreau his blaster
The team his exosuit
:popcorn:

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
How does that make current Gaudreau better than Kessel in TO? Or Hall in Edmonton? No one is comparing them at the same age. Stop being sensitive, the guy said Gaudreau would be similar to Hall and Kessel as wingers leading a team to which a flame homer said Gaurdeau is better than either of them were.

Relax. How in the world am I being sensitive? I asked did they finish top 10 within their first three seasons.

I'm comparing them at the same age. Gaudreau's accomplished more than either of them at the same age. Was Kessel only going to be a 60 point winger at 23? Was Hall? No reason to think Gaudreau can produce better than he already has been.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Hall did.

Even then, you can't compare them like that because Kessel and Hall joined the NHL in their teens.

Fair. However, Hall was considered a franchise player for most if not all of his duration with Edmonton. To be honest I still think New Jersey can build around him as the primary source of offense.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Brodie is a real treat and extremely underrated. The flames don't make the playoffs a few years ago without him carrying the team without Giordano. Smooth skating, great passing, great sense for offense and even if he gets caught, he can catch up to people on the backcheck like it's nothing

He had a very off year, but his fiancee was diagnosed with ms so I'm hoping that has a lot to do with it. He would be me pick for "best player", beyond Gio, beyond Monahan and even Gaudreau. Backlund was easily the best player last season though

Brodie moved to the LS, and had to carry two #7Dman.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
You do realize Gaudreau is top 5 in NHL scoring since he entered the league right?

Not to mention he was the most dangerous player at the World Cup AIWEC. The guy is the next Pat Kane, but sure he's not a franchise player...

I looked that up. He's not even close. Would need another 20 points to pass Taresanko for 5th. He's 15th.

He's 3rd for LW though.

I think the answer is still Gaudreau. This team would still be picking in the lottery without him.

Last edited:

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
It's still Giordano. People like to talk about the young guys, but Gio is the best.

Phaneufed

We The North
Dec 24, 2006
Calgary
Our team won a playoff round without Gio and had a stellar record without him back in 2015. The answer here is clearly Johnny Hockey, I feel like he's very underappreciated by Flames fans. We're so lucky to have a talent like him on our team.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Our team won a playoff round without Gio and had a stellar record without him back in 2015. The answer here is clearly Johnny Hockey, I feel like he's very underappreciated by Flames fans. We're so lucky to have a talent like him on our team.

And then our defense got embarrassed by an actual playoff team.

Missing Gio was so glaring obvious in the first Anaheim series. Yes we got swept this year but the team performance was vastly superior.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
And then our defense got embarrassed by an actual playoff team.

Missing Gio was so glaring obvious in the first Anaheim series. Yes we got swept this year but the team performance was vastly superior.

They were swept cause of goaltending and cause Gaudreau wasnt a factor.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Ok.. how does that make Gaudreau levels ahead of Kessel and Hall right now? He isn't.

By that logic, how do Hall and Kessel's top 10 finishes years ago makes them better than Gaudreau now? He finished 6th in scoring just last season. He's miles better than both lol.

He's the best Flames player as well. As he goes so go the Flames.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
This past season I personally thought the Flames MVP was Giordano, with Backlund 2nd. The year before that though I thought it was Gaudreau and Brodie. There's a lot of guys that can stick out at any given time, though I'd lean towards Gaudreau and Giordano as our best 2 right now.

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
He may not be the best but shoutout to Don Henderson for getting rid of Dennis Wideman. He made our team a lot better, his skill set is elite.

Calgarybrutalist

Apr 2, 2014
It's Tkachuk, by a fair margin too. Shouldve been second in the Calder voting.
1. Tkachuk
2. Gaudreau
3. Monahan
4. Backlund
5. Hamilton
6. Giordano
drops off pretty drastically after Gio

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Gaudreau is our most talented player and Backlund slightly edges out Gio as our most important player. I don't even want to imagine how bad our team would be without Backlund.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, I think it's really close between Backlund and Giordano. Both are fantastic.

I think Gaudreau could be the best, but it's hard to say that after last season created a fair deal of doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad