Who is the best goal scorer in the world right now?

Best goal scorer in the world currently?

• Total voters

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
You're missing the point. We don't know how Haaland will age so we can only guess about his longevity. What we can discuss with more certainty is his career so far and so far into his career it compares to Ovi's, not Kovy's. Not closer to Ovi than Kovy, but Ovi.

He may or may not match Ovi's longevity, but SO FAR his NHL comparable is Ovechkin. Not just a very good goalscorer, but someone who was immediately dominant and one of the best players on the planet.
Kovalchuk fits your last sentence too though. People forget how good he was to start his career.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
My last post on this subject, because it's not what this thread is ultimately about, is that what Haaland is doing right now far surpasses anything Kovalchuk, or Nash, or Heatley, or anything of them ever did. What Haaland is doing right now, simply put, is 2007-08 Ovi. It is 65 goals.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kovalchuk fits your last sentence too though. People forget how good he was to start his career.

No, you're just not understanding how special Haaland is. Erling has been one of the top 5 players on the planet...Top 3 for me but I don't want to squabble over this detail so let's just call it Top 5...for over 3 years now and he's having his best season yet.

Kovy never had a campaign like Erling is having; he never even came close. In the 25ish years that I've been a hockey fan, peak Ovi is the only goal scorer I've seen in the NHL that compares to current Haaland.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No, you're just not understanding how special Haaland is. Erling has been one of the top 5 players on the planet...Top 3 for me but I don't want to squabble over this detail so let's just call it Top 5...for over 3 years now and he's having his best season yet.

Kovy never had a campaign like Erling is having; he never even came close. In the 25ish years that I've been a hockey fan, peak Ovi is the only goal scorer I've seen in the NHL that compares to current Haaland.

Thats. Not. The. Point.
I think where I disagree is when you say that he is “peak Ovi.”

Because peak Ovi is a 20 year peak and Haaland obviously hasn’t done that yet.

I’d probably agree that his start to his career is Ovi-like.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think where I disagree is when you say that he is “peak Ovi.”

Because peak Ovi is a 20 year peak and Haaland obviously hasn’t done that yet.

I’d probably agree that his start to his career is Ovi-like.

I mean he only scored 65 goals and lead the league by 13 goals, once...but ok, let's call it "young Ovi" instead of "peak Ovi"

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I mean he only scored 65 goals and lead the league by 13 goals, once...but ok, let's call it "young Ovi" instead of "peak Ovi"
Young Ovi scored ~50 goals 5 times, as compared to mid Ovi who scored ~50 goals 3 times as compared to old Ovi who has scored ~50 goals 4 times. Ovi is just Ovi.

But yes I can agree that his career has started similarly.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Young Ovi scored ~50 goals 5 times, as compared to mid Ovi who scored ~50 goals 3 times as compared to old Ovi who has scored ~50 goals 4 times. Ovi is just Ovi.

But yes I can agree that his career has started similarly.

That longevity is certainly one of the things that set him apart, but Ovi was also just a different kind of dominant than the likes of Kovy, Heatley, Nash, and even Bure, right out of the gates.

I almost feel like the way that old-man-Ovi has continued to fire goals in, has caused us to underestimate just how much more dominant he was back when he was one of the fastest skaters in the league as well as a giant with a howitzer.

He was a different caliber threat than the older Ovi who could still score 50 goals, but no longer was giving you 100-110pt seasons. And that 100-110pt version of Ovi is the only hockey comparable that makes sense to me for Haaland...SO FAR...

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
This thread is a perfect example of how the saying “stand for what’s right even if you’re standing alone” has gone too far in today’s society.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He isn’t a playmaker nor a guy you can pass to their feet hoping he can create. That’s what I was getting at.

While I get what you're saying, I also don't think it's accurate to say he's just a goal scorer. He's able to run down and latch onto long passes is a huge asset to the guys around him even if he isn't much of a traditional playmaker.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
To each his own, but I think the WC showed who the best player is right now.
Best scorer in L1, best scorer in CL, best scorer in WC, turned the whole final in 90 seconds.
He only leads CL goalscoring because Haaland missed two games. Also L1 is a clown league. the World Cup is irrelevant. Haaland will probably never play a world cup considering he picked playing for Norway, which is a B/C tier team in Europe.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He only leads CL goalscoring because Haaland missed two games. Also L1 is a clown league. the World Cup is irrelevant. Haaland will probably never play a world cup considering he picked playing for Norway, which is a B/C tier team in Europe.
Ligue 1 produces probably the best and most talent in the world.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
While I get what you're saying, I also don't think it's accurate to say he's just a goal scorer. He's able to run down and latch onto long passes is a huge asset to the guys around him even if he isn't much of a traditional playmaker.
Oh he's no goal poacher at all. Someone that basically spoon feed him the goals ala higuain. Haaland is a menace who every single team would wish to have.

A lot going on there but Haaland should play in the WC at some point.

Reactions: cgf

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If they go to these Euros then Norway will wind up in a good group for next WC. And they're in a pretty good group for the Euros and are unfortunately the second best team because as anyone who follows Scotland knows you can't rely on them to ever get a result they need.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
Ligue 1 produces probably the best and most talent in the world.
The French league is shit minus PSG. Marseille finished last in their group. Monaco didn’t even qualify to the tournament. Portuguese league had more teams in the tournament than L1. It’s totally irrelevant league except PSG.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Norway's interesting because they've been producing better and better kids even outside of Haaland. Nusa & Schjelderup are two really top-tier talents, Mannsverk is a highly rated midfielder, and their the more established talents like Odegaard, Berge, Ajer, Ryersen, etc. still have plenty of tred on their tires.

So on paper they should be a major-tourney-caliber team within the next cycle or two...and their youth teams have been successful in recent years...but it hasn't started coming together at the senior level yet.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The French league is shit minus PSG. Marseille finished last in their group. Monaco didn’t even qualify to the tournament. Portuguese league had more teams in the tournament than L1. It’s totally irrelevant league except PSG.
Yeah you’re just wrong but that’s okay. We all can’t be right about everything!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad