Who is the best goal scorer in the world right now?

Best goal scorer in the world currently?

• Total voters

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Mbappe already did. And HE's the best player in the world.

Yup, Bossy works for me.
Haaland is also younger and often injured until now. ... Mbappe is not the best player not until Messi retires.

I am of the opinion that, as he spends more time with Pep, his all around game will become almost as high level as his goal scoring is.
That would be quite a turnaround.

Reactions: Elvis P

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Haaland is also younger and often injured until now. ... Mbappe is not the best player not until Messi retires.

That would be quite a turnaround.
To each his own, but I think the WC showed who the best player is right now.
Best scorer in L1, best scorer in CL, best scorer in WC, turned the whole final in 90 seconds.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
To each his own, but I think the WC showed who the best player is right now.
Best scorer in L1, best scorer in CL, best scorer in WC, turned the whole final in 90 seconds.
Yeah, and Lio went home with everything for a reason... like I said its a weird argument you have going on. Messi is the only reason Argentina were there but somehow wasn't the best in the tournament?

Best scorer not best player.

Anywho this thread is about goal scorer and the answer is the Norwegian machine.

If Harry Kane can go from being a penalty box merchant to basically being a 10 who still scores 20 goals a year, I don’t see why Haaland - who has a positioning IQ similar to Kane’s - cannot.
because Haaland is probably going to hit 50 a few times.... to ask him to be an all-around player on top of that, seems out of reach. Pep does work miracles though.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Bure would be better analogy as Nash was never the best player in the world. Haaland will break records.

Comparison does a huge disservice to Haaland. He’s Ovi or Bossy.

He's significantly better than a Rick Nash level guy. He's got Ovi like potential if were comparing him to a hockey player.
I don’t think he’s at Ovi level yet. Potential yes, but not there yet.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If we're going for silly hockey player comparisons, Haaland is Phil Esposito. Bure was a blazing speed demon. Ov has the ridiculous shot from anywhere. Esposito just scored goals. Ugly, pretty, doesn't matter. He just finished.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
You're still not understanding. The numbers he's hitting are generational and thus he will be compared to all time greats. Not just a Nash.
Ovi has sustained elite goal scoring rates for ~20 years. Part of what makes Ovi Ovi isn’t just his goal scoring ability; it’s his ability to sustain it for two decades. Haaland has that potential but he’s not there yet.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Rick Nash cracked PPG twice in his career - once he was exactly PPG and the other time he was one point ahead of it. He was, at his best, a very good goal scorer.

Erling Haaland was almost GPG in a very good league and has 20 in 14 in the other. These are generational numbers. They are early career Ovechkin numbers.

It’s not just about longevity, it’s about the level they’re at. He’s at a peak Ovi level.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Rick Nash cracked PPG twice in his career - once he was exactly PPG and the other time he was one point ahead of it. He was, at his best, a very good goal scorer.

Erling Haaland was almost GPG in a very good league and has 20 in 14 in the other. These are generational numbers. They are early career Ovechkin numbers.

It’s not just about longevity, it’s about the level they’re at. He’s at a peak Ovi level.
What is peak Ovi though?

Is it in the late 2000s when he scored ~50 goals for 4-5 years?

Is it in the early to mid 2010’s when he scored ~50 goals for 3 years?

Or is it in the late 2010s to early 2020s when he scored… ~50 goals for 4 years?

That’s my point.

If Haaland can maintain “peak” scoring levels for almost his entire 20 year career, then he’s Ovi.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
What is peak Ovi though?

Is it in the late 2000s when he scored ~50 goals for 4-5 years?

Is it in the early to mid 2010’s when he scored ~50 goals for 3 years?

Or is it in the late 2010s to early 2020s when he scored… ~50 goals for 4 years?

That’s my point.

If Haaland can maintain “peak” scoring levels for almost his entire 20 year career, then he’s Ovi.
Was Rick Nash ever a top 5 player in the world? Was he ever the world’s best goal scorer (outside of the saddest Richard Trophy there’s ever been)?

The point of the Ovi comparison is that Haaland is easily the best pure goal scorer in the game right now, to the extent that he’s a top 5 player in the world and projects to be for the foreseeable future. Haaland right now is 2007-08 Ovechkin.

Anyway, I raise the whole thing simply because comparing Haaland to Rick Nash is a tremendous disservice to a guy who - barring injury - will likely shatter the EPL single season goal record this year

Reactions: luiginb and Elvis P

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Was Rick Nash ever a top 5 player in the world? Was he ever the world’s best goal scorer (outside of the saddest Richard Trophy there’s ever been)?

The point of the Ovi comparison is that Haaland is easily the best pure goal scorer in the game right now, to the extent that he’s a top 5 player in the world and projects to be for the foreseeable future. Haaland right now is 2007-08 Ovechkin.

Anyway, I raise the whole thing simply because comparing Haaland to Rick Nash is a tremendous disservice to a guy who - barring injury - will likely shatter the EPL single season goal record this year
He still has years to go before reaching Ovi levels imo.

Maybe Nash is a undersell. Peak Heatley/Kovalchuk?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He still has years to go before reaching Ovi levels imo.

Maybe Nash is a undersell. Peak Heatley/Kovalchuk?

He doesn't have the longevity...and tbh probably never will given his durability is unlikely to improve with age...but his start is on another level from everyone but the all-time greats. Not just the greats, but the all-time greats.

But the answer to the OP is Mouki, just give it a few years for him to prove it :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad