Who is the best drafting GM in the NHL?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
First rounder Jack Roslovic (25th overall 2015 draft) is in and out of the lineup. Just is still out on Logan Stanley (18th overall 2016 draft), and of course too early to say on Vesalainen (24th overall, 2017 draft).

All other 1st rounders were solid pickups - but all of those were much higher picks.

Let's see:

2011-Scheifele (7th overall) Best forward on Jets
2012-Trouba (9th overall) top pairing defenseman
2013-Morrissey (13th overall) Jets top defenseman this season
2014-Ehlers (9th overall) fastest skater, and underrated
2015-Connor (17th Overall) first line Centre
2015-Roslovic (25th overall) great potential, 2nd year in lineup
2016-Laine (2nd overall) sniper, top Jets scorer since his first season
2016-Stanley (18th overall) improving, probably in lineup by 2020-21
2017-Vesalainen (24th overall) great year in 2017-18, played mainly in KHL this season

Others:

2011-Lowry (3rd round) defensive forward. Underrated, great 3rd line player
2012-Hellebuyck (5th round) gem in the rough. Starting goalie
2013-Petan (2nd round) promising forward, traded to Toronto
2013-Copp (4th round) great bottom 6 Centre
2013-Poolman (5th round) bottom pairing Defenseman
2015-Appleton (6th round) promising bottom 6 Centre
2015-Niku (7th round) potential top 4 pairing Defenseman in future
2016-Berdin (6th round) future goaltending star, two years removed
2017-Samberg (2nd round) future top pairing Defenseman

Incredible draft picks considering only one player was chosen in the top 5. What is interesting to note is the Jets have had better draft picks than Edmonton in 2011-13, even though Edmonton picked far ahead of the Jets, including two #1 picks.

Reactions: Cypruss

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
GMs get all the credit for good drafts and all the credit for bad ones, but they really don't have a ton of input. They hire scouts and the scouts basically run the whole show for them.

Reactions: MoneyManny

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I listed jarmos list of late round picks and didnt go into jarmos list of people like Tarasenko, Oshi, Parayko with the blues and didnt add the likes of Werenski, PLD, and Wennberg because they were high firsts.Only Boqvist was a high first try again... Your using names like Motte and Rutta on your list who I mean come on I didnt say just list whatever stuck Im talking high potential blue chip late round steals and current legit impact players You listed only 2 of those such players and then no names. Players I listed all have played 200+ games. Panarin was a FA also not a pick as well Im pretty sure Snagging undrafted players like Panarin, Raanta, TVR, Kempny etc is a part of scouting.

Your list Saad, Debrincat (even though that was a no brainer he should have never dropped I cant skip govong credit even though it was handed on a silver platter haha), If they are out of the first round they were out of the first round perhaps Jarmo should have taken them since they were on a silver platter for everyone...Boquist, Schmaltz, taraveinan, and Krys (I was high on him idk how he is now). Shaw and Kruger are 4th liners I didnt name anyone who played a NHL minute in his 5 years haha So only you can name minor players? Your original post had a ton of no name guys.... I could throw out names like Stenlund or Kolesar who played minimal bottom 6 minutes so far in their young careers but Im talking Gavrikov a gold medal winning WJC top defender in the 6th round A top defender in Juinors?? Wow I am at a loss for words no team ever has had a player like that in their system before he must be generational. followed up by a top 4 D in Nutivaara in the 7th. Bjorkstrand on the 3rd or 4th. Now you are actually listing guys worth posting Bremstrom who just finished 2nd all time in the SHL for goals as a 19yo only 1 goal behind the Canucks Petterson.If you want to compare your guy to Pettersonto help you sleep at night go ahead that doesnt mean he is anywhere as good or an impact player. Texier who rose through the ranks of a mens french league at 17 to then go over to Liiga and skate circles around men and come over here and put up near ppg as a 19yo in a short AHL stint to playing on the 3rd line right away in the NHL playoffs Spare us his life story no one is going to be blown away by his single point. Kahun is already a much better player weird how you selectively only focus on players you deem un worthy then post a bunch yourself. So pretty much a bunch of people who wont translate to anything beyond bottom 6/4th liners/bottom pairing D players whats so special about them again?. Goalies currently carrying their teams in the lower KHL league in Tarasov and in liiga VV respectively. And Chicago found an undrafted Delia who put up the best stats in the AHL congrats on being the only team in the league with prospects. Foudy who was projected to go closer to 2nd round but we saw breakout potential and when called a reach he showed this year just how dynamic he could be easily upping his PPG and looking like a guy who might be starting for us next year Most overagers should go PPG in the CHL after their draft year that isnt anything unique.... Peeke who just captained ND in the NCAA and who decided to sogn with us rather then go UFA like so many of the best players do because he wants to play for the winner Jarmo is building.Didnt ask for a feelings check These guys Im naming are all U23 have high potential and already shown glimses They arent anything special in the slightest no one is fawning over Cbus' system also humerous seeing you reach for praises on players like Peeke and Texier while glossing over prospects and young players like Baratt, Kurashev, Mitchell, Beaudin, Jokiharju, etc who are downright better. rather that Shaw a bottom 6 grinder.That Bottom 6'er scored at a better rate than most of your team including guys like Foligno, Anderson, Bjorkstrand who were in your top 6 prior to the TDL... Then if we are taking the high end drafted guys like you named in Krys and Boquist Krys was a 2nd round.. and the like taking PLD over pool party he was laughed at now we have a growing 50pt 2way 1C who only is getting bettee. Werenski who we took over Hannifan and Provarov who both people thought would be better and Z has turned out to be the diamond in that field.

He has had his bad picks like Rychel and he has made his average picks like Milano who can still make it look at his NHL numbers he just needs a new setting like Wennberg as well. He drafted Dano who if you go off his CBJ numbers was steller and after we moved him for Saad (trades are an area you cannot find a better trade history then Jarmo he is a wizard) his play never recovered but if he stayed here you can imagine how his numbers would be even if he just stayed at his paces the 1 yr. He traded Gaborik for Matt Frattin, Mason for Micheal Leighton,

Then if you want to say the guys assistant GM stuff thats fine but like I said guys like Oshi and Tank were Jarmo specials So only you can use first round picks? You are so comical. Then before that he was with the sens and take a guess at some of those guys who were Jarmo specials.So more high picks if you want to include Hossa that doesnt exactly help your case. The guy is a talent savant. Only needs to work on UFA signings. Historically not the best. Nash and Horton both signed to deals they cant keep up with. Dubi was overpaid a bit off of some pretty decent years but hit the cliff right after signing. Fine with Fligs deal though some think 750k overpaid I take that all day based on his capt skills In your own words he was outscored by a 4th line grinder this year and has only two seasons with 50+ points while being a sub 40pt player every other season of his career.. His RFA deals have been amazing look at murray and Anderson. Jones is a ****ing steal Murray never got a high salary since he literally lives on the injured reserve list any ex that pays big money for a player to sit and miss 40+ games a season should get their head checked. Also easier for deals become steals when the cap goes up 6 million in one offseason.... How many 40g guys get paid the low price of Cam Atkinson? He gets guys who we drafted here and want to build here to stay and create winners to take fair deals. Z and PLD will be next.

So in total you discredited high picks of other Gms, while praising Jarmo for the incredible audacity at picking well in said high pick areas, discredited players who have 200+ nhl games and counting as nothing special while listing a bunch of guys who dont even have 20. Harped on Shaw for being a 4th liner while hilariously overlooking the fact that he would have been 4th on your team in scoring. I think we are done here.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Surprised no Benning slurpers have suggested him yet on here. Reading the thread it’s hard to argue with Jarmo especially having the conviction to grab PLD where he did but also Yzerman has been great, even conolly has planned out to be pretty effective.

Reactions: timw33

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
for me and this may be a stretch.

#1 is a tie for now, SB - Bhawks ~~~ Bob Murray - Ana.
reason for Murray, how many times has Ana draft in the top 10 and yet they have a really good prospect system.

Sb, except for Q tenure, SB needed to have his HC opinion in drafting. try as you might, you can not criticize his drafting recently.

#3 and this is a close one. Yzerman his lack of winning the golden ring is affecting his ratings.

honorable mention D. Wilson.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Not sure who the best is but I think there are some teams that are very good:

Boston, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Washington, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg, Anaheim

Lots of hits and misses for other teams.

I think the Rangers are trending upwards since Gorton took over, and a team like SJ has done well considering pretty well considering how many picks they have traded away.
Ya probably better to do teams, GMs probably only have input on first rounders after that it’s scouts,
But it is a group decision in the end.

Edit: didn’t realize this was a bump.

Reactions: Brodeur

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
It is kinda amazing when you think about it. Sharks basically make the playoffs all the time, and Doug Wilson makes a ton of trades but yet they still have young players contributing to the lineup.
they also have one of the worst cap situation in the league. most of the bigger contracts are untradeable and will keep the sharks from contending or rebuilding.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Stars Wild always seem to draft very well .
Same goes for the Capitals when you consider where they usually pick . They seem to go for the elite talent that talks due to concerns over injury history / rumoured attitude issues etc . They have to go a little high risk if you want good talent while picking as low as they have to due to being competitive all the time .

Reactions: hn777

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Stars Wild always seem to draft very well .
Same goes for the Capitals when you consider where they usually pick . They seem to go for the elite talent that talks due to concerns over injury history / rumoured attitude issues etc . They have to go a little high risk if you want good talent while picking as low as they have to due to being competitive all the time .
Stars have only really been drafting well since 2017 - they were god awful before that.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Tampa has a scout that I can't remember his name, he is credited with quiet a bit there like Point and was telling them to move up spot to draft him.

but
NO TEAM is worse at drafting in the CHL than Vancouver and Ron Delorme. AINEC.

They are so bad at it you could put EVERY SINGLE draft eligible players name in the CHL into a hat and pick at random and they would do better

Blow my mind how bad Ron Delorme is at his job
he has dirt on somebody to have kept his job this long.

You're talking blown top 10 picks, every single player drafted regresses.

Last edited:
Reactions: bh53 and hn777

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Im so sorry I posted thinking it was a new thread - why is this thread on the first page?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Can we make this about the Amateur Scouting Director versus the GM?

I believe its the work coordinated by the Amateur Scouting Director versus the GM. The GM maybe has the final say but its the Scouting Director that makes the case.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Tampa has a scout that I can't remember his name, he is credited with quiet a bit there like Point and was telling them to move up spot to draft him.

but
NO TEAM is worse at drafting in the CHL than Vancouver and Ron Delorme. AINEC.

They are so bad at it you could put EVERY SINGLE draft eligible players name in the CHL into a hat and pick at random and they would do better

Blow my mind how bad Ron Delorme is at his job
he has dirt on somebody to have kept his job this long.

You're talking blown top 10 picks, every single player drafted regresses.
I don't know - Chuck Fletcher is really bad. He passed on Cole Caulfield. he could have had him at 11, but traded that pick for the 14th and 45th, and then passed on him again at 14.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Bill Zito

Trade all your picks. Dont make mistakes with picks ;)

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I think GMs establish a checklist of traits they value in a prospect and the scouts identify the players to best fit that template. While they don’t have direct inputs on specific players, they do have the finger prints all over the drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad