Who is the best drafting GM in the NHL?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Not sure who the best is but I think there are some teams that are very good:

Boston, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Washington, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg, Anaheim

Lots of hits and misses for other teams.

I think the Rangers are trending upwards since Gorton took over, and a team like SJ has done well considering pretty well considering how many picks they have traded away.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
How do you filter out the work of each team's scouting department?

I could laud Hextall for finding someone like Lindblom in the 5th round but how much of that was borne from his own thoughts versus an overwhelming consensus from the scouts?

I don't think you do. No one knows. Just give credit to the GM. Which GM has the best track record at drafting.

Obviously scouts are an important part of it.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Is that Kevin Cheveldayoff's Russian doppelganger?
tenor.gif

I took the "day off" on that one (Dad Joke Hall of Fame candidate).

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
How do you filter out the work of each team's scouting department?

I could laud Hextall for finding someone like Lindblom in the 5th round but how much of that was borne from his own thoughts versus an overwhelming consensus from the scouts?

Mike Gillis answered this awhile back when asked during a radio segment in Vancouver, but paraphrasing he essentially says that a GM doesn't really put much say into picks past the first round. Realistically speaking they won't log as much time as scouts invest into their respective regions/leagues, so that makes sense to me

The GMs will definitely go to tournaments like the World Jrs and see some games when they swing out west/east on road trips based on who their scouts rave about through the year. The credit draft side for the GMs for the most part I would say goes towards how well are they setting up their scouts for successful and do they have the right people making those decisions ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->