HF Habs: Who is safe if we blow it all up?

Who do you think is safe to stay?

• Total voters

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
I fear if they may want him badly enough, Lafreniere may cost Struble, Romanov and Caufield.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Pretty much this. I wouldn't be opposed to dealing anyone if the deal were right and I also don't think we need to trade the guys left off your list, but I'd definitely be entertaining proposals for all of them.

This team needs a major shakeup and since it seems like 8 years isn't enough to bring in talent I guess it is long over due to sell. I wish the GM would have made moves to build a winning team. I was a big proponent of buying over the last few years, but in all likelihood it would have just delayed the process even further.

Everything not nailed down is available.

There should be no untouchables on this team as none have displayed cornerstone performances early on and it is more than certain that we don't have a generational player or a franchise player in the lot.

That said, I don't think we should trade everyone and anyone, nor do so just for the sake of trading them. Talented veterans are quite useful in rearing youngsters by example, not just old guy wisdom told through rotting teeth. Young talent to build around, without being in the super-elite, is still a building block to assembling a winner.

For example,

I'd consider trading Domi if his demands are shy-high (too high) and the term is on the short 4-5-year limit as we have seen of late, taking him to UFA status as a 28 or 29 yr-old. Whatever the price tag that is deemed reasonable, Domi should agree to a 7-yr contract, taking him to 31 years of age for it to be worthwhile to the organization.

Big salary is justified if all the years in the contract are prime years for the player. Domi should be at his best through his 31st birthday. Perhaps longer but, you can be pretty secure, barring severe injury, that this will be the case to that point. Into his mid thirties, nothing is as certain.

Taken from another forum, here's a potential trade with PITT involving Domi:

Domi VS Samuel Poulin + late 1st round pick

Poulin would add a quick Power Forward LW (once reaching top gear) and free up the C position for the likes of Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and/or Poehling. Instead of returning Domi to LW to make room for one of our young C prospects, we would be replacing him with scoring and size on the LW. Poulin doesn't have the same acceleration speed as Domi but, he's no slouch in the skating department either. His puck possession skills and drive for the net would add a missing element from the current Habs lineup, IMO.

Danault would then become a surer candidate to re-up in next year's offseason.

I'd definitely consider moving one of Weber or Petry. If the quick choice for management is Weber (because the return isn't high enough to warrant moving him and then overpaying Petry for too long a term), then move Petry ASAP while his value is still built on career years point-wise and, especially, since eating half his Cap hit for the remainder of this season and next year (2.75M) will have zero bearing on the team's Cap situation. It can only help increase his value for a contender looking to add offensive depth to their lineup.

Petry is a bonafide 2nd pairing D that can move up in the depth chart in case of injuries. He's a mobile, puck-moving D with some size (that he can use effectively when he chooses to do so, although he doesn't use it consistently) and a solid, above average point shot.

At 2.75M per for two shots at a Cup, he should be able to net you a late first rounder and a decent prospect who might still have a few bugs to iron out.

Otherwise, if your first option is to move Weber, shop him around and see if you can get an offer that blows you out of the water. Otherwise, if all you get are rental value despite despite/because of the term left on his contract at such a significant Cap hit, I'd wait and see what Petry's demands are like as of July in the offseason and, if they are reasonable (salary and, especially, term), I'd sign Petry early and move Weber at next year's trade deadline for rental return, which still ought to be a 1st round pick (late?) then.

Petry has a 15-team list where he can refuse to be traded but, I don't think this will conflict with many teams on the cusp of a Cup that might be interested in bidding for him.

I'd hold court for offers regarding Tatar as well. He's another player with which we can easily hold back half his Cap hit (2.4M) with little to no consequence since we'd only be on the hook for one full season (next year).

Coming off of two consecutive career years (to date, including his current .85 PPG production) and part of one of the league's top-5 even strength lines, both offensively and defensively, there definitely needs to be real value tied up there. I'd wager that, with a 2.4M price tag towards the Cap, plenty of contenders would be lining up for a taste of Tatar.

A repeat of the payout Vegas had given for tatar (in a lacklustre year then) might not be unimaginable; a 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder in subsequent years.

However, I'd look to nab a top prospect instead, a little like MON did when they got Suzuki, along with Tatar and a 2nd rounder in the Pacioretty trade.

I wouldn't expect all that coming back for tatar because he isn't a confirmed top-5 scoring threat in the league but, a Suzuki-type prospect and a 2nd rounder might not be out of line as an expectation from a team on the cusp of winning right now.

Obviously, Gallagher's value is likely the highest value we would get for one of our forwards. He's also a player whose value would increase if we ate half his cap hit. Imagine a stacked contender having Gallagher as a 3rd line RW for a measly 1.875M for the remainder of this season and all of next year!?

In case of injury, there would be no concerns that Gallagher could handle any role in the lineup!

We all have our favourites and what's not to like about Gallagher who leads by example and can score 30 goals for this goal-starved team?

Still, there are questions about what his demands will be at the end of next season and for what length of time he will want those salary demands. Many are concerned his style of play will tax his body and decline steadily into his thirties.

In the first year of his next contract, Gallagher will be 29. If he expects a 7-yr or 8-yr contract at a huge payday, many of those years may not be even value for the Habs organization. Again, big salary is more easily justified if the vast majority of the player's term falls in their pre-30 years.

I'd still float Gallagher's name about and wait for an offer that blows me out of the water. As with what we should expect from a contender, the return will likely/surely the the form of futures. The teams contending will not be looking to make hockey trades where they sacrifice part of their core to add onto their core. It's a lateral move that could be costly because of the chemistry implications. An add-on that becomes a depth move (even if the player is talented) has much less of a chance of becoming a negative influence on the team chemistry.

If the offer is hard to pass-up; i.e, 2 first rounders and an A-level prospect, or 1 first rounder, an A-level prospect and a 2nd rounder, I wouldn't hesitate saying yes one second. Plus, I'd still make a pitch for Gallagher if he ends up hitting the open market at the end of next season.

Otherwise, we try to re-sign Gallagher as early as possible (this upcoming July) and see if we can come to terms on a contract that is mutually agreeable to both parties. If not, Gallagher becomes a valuable rental next season, barring serious injury) for teams aspiring towards winning Lord Stanley's trophy.

Plenty of other options for interesting returns as well with Danault, Armia, etc. I don't think it will be easy to move Price however, nor do I think that the return for our #1G would be that significant. Cap space would be a gift of its own heading forward, however.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
it should be no surprise that they aren't selling as the freaking owner came out this summer and said it could take 8 years, he clearly does NOT give a f***. Why are fans surprised now that he is happy to sit on his and count his millions while letting MB win trades and sign a bunch of cast offs that at least can easily be put in Laval as we have been told time and time again.

the only way to effect change is if the masses hit them were it hurts most, the wallet. If you really want to hurt them, don't spend a dime on anything Habs, cancel RDS, don't go to games even if free, don't buy their shitty beer. I'm not saying everyone needs to do this, but if you don't just keep in mind when posting here that you are just helping the status quo.

Reactions: Vijo Morganstein

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
it should be no surprise that they aren't selling as the freaking owner came out this summer and said it could take 8 years, he clearly does NOT give a ****. Why are fans surprised now that he is happy to sit on his and count his millions while letting MB win trades and sign a bunch of cast offs that at least can easily be put in Laval as we have been told time and time again.

the only way to effect change is if the masses hit them were it hurts most, the wallet. If you really want to hurt them, don't spend a dime on anything Habs, cancel RDS, don't go to games even if free, don't buy their ****ty beer. I'm not saying everyone needs to do this, but if you don't just keep in mind when posting here that you are just helping the status quo.
Ultras imho is the solution to end this.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Yes,Ducharme is a proven winner ...won the Memorial cup in 2013 as head coach of Halifax and won a gold medal for Team Canada in 2018 as head coach,another coach with a winning track record Benoit Groulx took the Olympiques to the Memorial cup 4 times and won a gold medal for Team Canada in 2015 and has coached many years in the AHL.

Ducharme as head coach with Groulx as an assistant would be nice. How about Pascal Vincent and Andre Tourigny as well?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Maybe, but way he talked Habs saying they lost crazy amount of games by a goal and are injury riddled. They aren't this bad. Goal differential plus 10. Think they still bubble playoff team.
They'll change their minds as the TDL approaches. 10 losses max to go, probably should count from 8 as I don't think anyone will make the playoffs with 96 points.

Also, it doesn't matter how they lose games. A lost is a lost no matter how many complete players you may have in your line up.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Nobody. And anyway, we are too pathetic to even consider this, hense why we still have the purple pantie clown.

On another note: I have now been here for fifteen years. Wtf!

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Interesting to see how it plays out this season. Not sure they will go total rebuild. May tinker at deadline but I am not expecting major changes if we fall out of playoff picture
They'll change their minds as the TDL approaches. 10 losses max to go, probably should count from 8 as I don't think anyone will make the playoffs with 96 points.

Also, it doesn't matter how they lose games. A lost is a lost no matter how many complete players you may have in your line up.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
it should be no surprise that they aren't selling as the freaking owner came out this summer and said it could take 8 years, he clearly does NOT give a ****. Why are fans surprised now that he is happy to sit on his and count his millions while letting MB win trades and sign a bunch of cast offs that at least can easily be put in Laval as we have been told time and time again.

the only way to effect change is if the masses hit them were it hurts most, the wallet. If you really want to hurt them, don't spend a dime on anything Habs, cancel RDS, don't go to games even if free, don't buy their ****ty beer. I'm not saying everyone needs to do this, but if you don't just keep in mind when posting here that you are just helping the status quo.
The most effective way to get rid of a GM is to apply pressure. Start chanting for him to be fired at the games. Boo relentlessly. Put up Billboards like Edmonton fans did.

Once it starts to get ugly he’ll be gone fairly quickly. Molson has already shown he’ll cave quickly to fan pressure with the whole English coach thing. He doesn’t want controversy.

Haven’t seen any sign of that happening though. It’s mostly injury excuses etc... Still has lots of fan and media support. I don’t understand it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad