Prospect Info: Who is our 5th best prospect?

Who is our 5th best prospect?

• Total voters

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
almost as many points as Abdelkader and Glendening

should probably just induct him to the hall of fame right now
Playing 12 mins a night at 19.

I guess he'll never amount to anything, ever. Kyle Turris at 19 had 20 points in 63 games. Ryan O'Reilly had 26 in 74 at 19, his 2nd NHL season. Couturier had 27 points in 77 games playing 14 mins a game at 19.

Maybe you should, I don't know, let the player develop before making stupid comparisons.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Playing 12 mins a night at 19.

I guess he'll never amount to anything, ever. Kyle Turris at 19 had 20 points in 63 games. Ryan O'Reilly had 26 in 74 at 19, his 2nd NHL season. Couturier had 27 points in 77 games playing 14 mins a game at 19.

Maybe you should, I don't know, let the player develop before making stupid comparisons.

the point is that it's not a point of f***ing pride

other players having similar seasons and going on to do better later doesn't make the season itself a positive,18 points is never going to be something that is impressive no matter what context you want to apply to it

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

other players having similar seasons and going on to do better later doesn't make the season itself a positive,18 points is never going to be something that is impressive no matter what context you want to apply to it

Theres plenty of people on here who talk about Rasmussen like he has 30 point upside, when he was on pace for like 25 on a bad team at 19.

Its not a point of pride, but showing his numbers in context with other high picks who debuted early and went on to be really solid players makes a lot of sense. He produced rughly what should be expected for him where he was drafted but some people on here have only seen him play hockey in the NHL at that age and have him pegged as a bottom 6 player at best

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

K.

It's also not an indictment that he's going to be a shitty player.

I guess waiting for him to develop before we label him as garbage is saying his rookie season was impressive.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Personally I would probably have Rasmussen and Berggren ahead of Veleno. But these 3 are close, depends on what you prefer.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Theres plenty of people on here who talk about Rasmussen like he has 30 point upside, when he was on pace for like 25 on a bad team at 19.

Its not a point of pride, but showing his numbers in context with other high picks who debuted early and went on to be really solid players makes a lot of sense. He produced rughly what should be expected for him where he was drafted but some people on here have only seen him play hockey in the NHL at that age and have him pegged as a bottom 6 player at best

worth pointing out that there have been plenty of players that have come into the NHL in their D+2 and produced at a similar rate only to go on to never accomplish anything much as well though(just from poking around a list of players drafted around where Rasmussen was for a few minutes:Girgensons,Burmistrov(who was actually D+1 even),Paajarvi,James Sheppard,Gilbert Brule,Rostislav Olesz etc)

all in all I wouldn't really read much into it one way or another

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
The top 4 guys combined have the same amount as NHL points as Rasmussen.

The fact that we're using his NHL points as a reason we can't vote for him at #5 is craziness

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Who do you think should?
Why don't you think he should be winning it?

Berggren easily. I love his skillset. For me it's all about upside, and Berggren has a better chance at being a top 6 forward in the NHL.

I'd also take Johansson ahead of Ras as well. Ras lacks high end skill, speed and creativity. To be fair, I haven't been a fan of Ras since the day we drafted him, and I still don't think he becomes anything more than a depth guy in the NHL. If all goes well he'll be a 3C, but I'm not convinced he's going to be that.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The top 4 guys combined have the same amount as NHL points as Rasmussen.

The fact that we're using his NHL points as a reason we can't vote for him at #5 is craziness

shouldn't you be voting for Cholowski then?

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Rasmusssen and Berggren getting votes is not shocking to me.

But what do you all think is going on with Cholo and Chevy barely getting any votes? Not saying either should be winning but overall based on their current body of work, I would have guessed right about now is when they should be getting some consideration. At least more than they are currently.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

But what do you all think is going on with Cholo and Chevy barely getting any votes? Not saying either should be winning but overall based on their current body of work, I would have guessed right about now is when they should be getting some consideration. At least more than they are currently.

I was going to ask if people think they should even be included in these polls, given how many players we have added to the system the last 2-3 years. To me I would rather keep them out, honestly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I just don't understand why a 19 year old kid who puts up 8+10 over 60 games gets no love.

Ras will be a fine NHL player.

Exactly. He did fine his rookie year. He was described as busting by some after having 18 pts in 62 GP, while getting very little ice time and not exactly having stellar linemates. In my opinion he did decent, especially when you look at guys like Jack Hughes and Kaakko who were terrible in their rookie years and put up just 4 or 5 more pts than him with more PP/ice time and linemates than Ras got. Ras also wasn't -23 or whatever both Hughes and Kaakko were.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Svechnikov just has too many injury concerns to go over guys like Ras or Berrgren. I can see him going over Mastro or Neiderbach, but the D like Johansson and Wallinder (and Tuomisto, at least for me) could probably jump him.

Cholo has just been very unimpressive for me.

The guy I'm curious about is McIsaac. Getting hurt again is just flat out deflating, and I wonder how hard that is going to ding him in these polls. I really liked him, but I don't think I'd go for him above Johansson or wallinder among the D, and I think Svech gets my vote before McIsaac.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Ras pretty easily here for me. I am glad that Berggren is off to a good start but I don't see much more upside than Ras even if he does have more pure puck skill than him and moves better laterally. I have said it a zillion times: Ras will put up a lot of points for us. It won't be pretty and he won't transport the puck 200 feet, but he will put up a lot of points.

Reactions: r0bert8841

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I will be more than happy at anyone we rank 5-10 makes the NHL and plays more than 150 Games.

Then I think you'll be a very happy man. I think at least 7 of our top 10 prospects make it as NHL regulars barring disastrous injuries. 8 if McIsaac can stop hurting his shoulders.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Svechnikov just has too many injury concerns to go over guys like Ras or Berrgren. I can see him going over Mastro or Neiderbach, but the D like Johansson and Wallinder (and Tuomisto, at least for me) could probably jump him.

Cholo has just been very unimpressive for me.

The guy I'm curious about is McIsaac. Getting hurt again is just flat out deflating, and I wonder how hard that is going to ding him in these polls. I really liked him, but I don't think I'd go for him above Johansson or wallinder among the D, and I think Svech gets my vote before McIsaac.

I think McIsaac is toast. Here's a guy who's marketed as a shutdown defender at the highest level, yet he is too often lost and scrambling in his own zone.... in juniors. His decision-making is poor and he falls out of position too quickly. He needs more development at the junior level, yet he missed most of his last season there and is now going to miss his entire age-20 season. And so he's going to be way behind the development curve, and transitioning to the pro ranks after not playing consistently for 2.5 years. I think this portends some very rough times for him down the line. I don't see him sniffing Detroit until he's out of waiver exemption, and even then he'll likely be at the bottom of the depth chart. His age-21 and -22 seasons in GR are going to be extremely important for him, and I'm not ruling him out in Detroit one day, but at this point he's a big long-shot.

Reactions: Winger98

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I see more elite tools in Ras and Berggren than Veleno.

Berggren from the same draft is a dominating player in the SHL. Veleno is good, and shows flashes of being a star at that level, but not as much as Berggren.

Ras if he pans out will be a huge asset to our powerplay, maybe he’s not going to be better than Veleno at ES but I see him as a more ”special” prospect.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I have berggren way above Veleno and Ras at this point, but I value ceiling a lot more than floor

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
You can zero in on different traits/qualities/aspects/factors of prospects to create some real separation between Veleno, Rasmussen, and Berggren, sure, but in the context of considering all meaningful variables.... I think these guys are completely interchangeable in the rankings.

Collectively, they are a perfect example of why I prefer to break prospects into tiers. These guys solidly belong in the same tier at this point.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You can zero in on different traits/qualities/aspects/factors of prospects to create some real separation between Veleno, Rasmussen, and Berggren, sure, but in the context of considering all meaningful variables.... I think these guys are completely interchangeable in the rankings.

Collectively, they are a perfect example of why I prefer to break prospects into tiers. These guys solidly belong in the same tier at this point.

What would your tiers look like?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad