Speculation: Who is in goal next season?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Still top 5 in the KHL among goalies with at least as many starts as him. Absolutely incredible international play too.

Great stats, would love to see them over more games in one season. He wouldn't be a starter in Dallas any time soon.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Grubauer to Dallas before expansion draft, buyout Niemi. Lehtonen backup.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I hope we buyout Niemi and then target Grubauer and settle for Darling if we can't get him. Also wouldn't mind Bishop if he signs in the 3 year range thanks to a down year

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Remember that old commercial with the real fat guy who covered the entire net without moving? How about him? Alternate theory - Hitchcock as player/coach filling that role (and the net?)

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Remember that old commercial with the real fat guy who covered the entire net without moving? How about him? Alternate theory - Hitchcock as player/coach filling that role (and the net?)

He would be terrible on rebounds due to his permanent arms folded posture.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
It's Nate Schmidt who's screwing up the Grubauer plans.

Caps probably aren't going to want to trade Grubauer ahead of the draft because they almost need Vegas to select Grubs. Nate Schmidt looks to be a likely heir to 2LD in Washington with an Alzner departure very likely.

So really we'd need to...
a) Offer the Caps more than the value of Schmidt (expensive)
b) Offer a deal to take Grubauer off the Knights post expansion draft (expensive)
c) Hope the Knights pick Schmidt in the expansion draft, allowing us to trade with the Caps for Grubs after the fact (not likely)

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Stars are getting Fleury. Mark my words.

Nill is seeing how Fleury is playing this post-season and will be all over him

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Same here brother, but it just screams a "typical Nill move"

"If you look at Fleury's resume, he's a winner, he knows how to win, he's been there ...etc"

Oh no! I didn't think it was a real option until now

MBTendy

May 6, 2009

There goes a really good option. He's still a pending UFA, but that decreases our chances at Darling substantially.

He was my number one option, and was probably the most realistic. The clock is starting to tick Nill. Get on that phone.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
He was my number one option, and was probably the most realistic. The clock is starting to tick Nill. Get on that phone.

Guess timing depends on who we're after.

Bishop? Sooner the better.
Raanta? As soon as the Rangers get eliminated.
Grubauer? Lot of layers there, likely have to wait.
Fluery? Wait till the very last minute, Pit has a ton of pressure on their end, let it build.

But yeah, get as much info as you can Nill, make for a better acquisition whenever that may be.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Guess timing depends on who we're after.

Bishop? Sooner the better.
Raanta? As soon as the Rangers get eliminated.
Grubauer? Lot of layers there, likely have to wait.
Fluery? Wait till the very last minute, Pit has a ton of pressure on their end, let it build.

But yeah, get as much info as you can Nill, make for a better acquisition whenever that may be.

Yeah if Bishop is Nill's guy, then he should try to pull the trigger asap. Before we know it the list of options will be down to Chad Johnson, Brian Elliot, and Jaro Halak.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
IMO I would take Fleury over Bishop. What are your thoughts and why?

Both are older and injury prone so the deciding factor for me is contract. Unless the goalie free agent market is dead .... which isn't crazy to think thanks to the expansion draft putting so many young goalies in play who likely would not have been available ... I lean towards MAF because I like only being committed to another old guy for 2 years rather than the potential typical over-payment in free agency on both term and cap hit. If Bishop will take a 2 year deal, it's a harder question to answer.

Outside of the contract situation, MAF is pulling ahead on who I'd prefer as well. Bishop can't make it through the playoffs healthy, and he's been mostly a regular season hero. There were questions about whether MAF could bounce back from concussions, and he seems to be answering that question right now. He's far from perfect in the playoffs himself, but he has done more.

Personally though, I prefer option 3 which is neither. The only way I'd take MAF is if Niemi or Kari went the other way, allowing Dallas to buy the other out. When a player is traded, you no longer have to honor their movement clause. It's the team's choice. I'd trade for a young goalie, protect him, and leave MAF exposed. If he's taken, great, go get a backup in free agent. The plus here even if you lose MAF is you've eliminated one of Niemi or Kari with no cap cost to yourself. If he's not, still great, you've got MAF to split time with a young guy.

I'm partial to Joonas Korpisalo since he's cheaper to acquire and a more realistic target than Philipp Grubauer (based on the solid points by Abilify). I'm interested to see how he does at the World Championship. Some of the reports I've seen said he was solid in the pre-tournament play, but I haven't checked in a few days.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Also, MAF might be playing himself out of the force Pittsburgh to take Niemi or Lehtonen discussion. I don't think it's crazy to think GM's who were high on Bishop might be changing their tune on MAF. Not having to give a guy a crazy UFA deal is a huge plus, and his immediate success in the playoffs will play well with GMs.

Dallas' only hope for Pittsburgh taking one of their goalies was if Pittsburgh got in a situation where the Penguins were seriously considering buying out MAF because they couldn't find a landing place for him. His regular season was only OK. These playoffs will renew the market for MAF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad