Speculation: Who is in goal next season?

DumpNChange

Mar 29, 2017
Chicago, IL
Do we buy out both; try and trade one and buy out the other; buy out both?
Either way, I think both are done in Dallas.

My ideal scenario is we trade for Grubauer and Darling.
Not sure of the price tag since they are both prime candidates to be taken by LV.
Let two younger goalies battle it out and see who takes the reigns.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
My guess is we buy out Anti, keep Kari, bring in Darling. Kari is good insurance to play perhaps a third of games, since no one knows if Darling holds up over 82 games. However, I doubt there will be any 1A and 1B talk. Enough of that the last two years.

That said, depending on the market, they might not get him and will have to go Raanta or Grubauer. I view all three as nearly equal in potential to be the next Cam Talbot. And, any UFA who comes here will have to be convinced last year was the aberration, not the year before.

On our least fave site, there was speculation that the Hawks would keep Darling, and try to shop Crawford instead. Not sure what his contract situation is.

I am sure the goalie market will take some twists and turns. I also believe the Stars will use a fairly high pick to net a goalie for the future, and/or trade for a goalie prospect nearly NHL ready to take the backup after Kari.

The best scenario two years from now is Darling at $4M or whatever, and a young backup under $1M. If Darling works out as starter.....there are no guarantees he will be the next Cam Talbot.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Yeah im pretty sure we'll Buyout or at least try to trade Niemi. Then some combination of Raanta, Grubs, Darling etc. Maybe we can pry Dell out of SJ, but very doubtful

There's also a bunch of goalies in FA, but I'm hoping we stay away from them. Bishop, Miller, Elliott ( I'm sure he'll resign in CGY), Mason. I wouldn't mind Bishop if he signed for 3 years under 5, but I don't see that happening.

There's also MAF, but I'd rather not go that route. Seems like Niemi 2.0

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yeah, always loved Bishop. A bishop, dell combo would give us all locally connected talent from their USHL days (or whatever league they played in) Might sell a few tickets.

But, BB's injury history and salary demands make him pretty high risk. Seems like word was 6 years times 6M, or similar, which I wouldn't do. And, I doubt Nill would, either. If he turns out to have falling value, maybe we snatch him up as third option, and he would have potential to be very best option, if injuries don't creep in.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
It would be foolish to buy out both. Kari can backup fine and he can very nearly carry the load if the new guy can't hack it as a full time starter.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
It would be foolish to buy out both. Kari can backup fine and he can very nearly carry the load if the new guy can't hack it as a full time starter.
What as a water-boy? towel-boy? because it's certainly not goalie

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I haven't looked at the stats, but even his lowly just over .900 save % is probably in line with most backups. Add in that:

- He would play against weaker competition, and

- Would be well rested (always an issue in his time here, including Ruff's remarks about falling apart in the 3rd the other night in MTL)

I think he would be a fine, if overpaid, backup. I would wonder about his (or AN) state of mind being demoted from starter. It could hurt his play and be a distraction, or not.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
What as a water-boy? towel-boy? because it's certainly not goalie

Believe it or not, but things could be worse than they are this year. Having somebody who has been a starter on hand is important if we are going to bet big on the Darlings, Grubauers, and Raantas of the world.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Just came to my attention that Kari was 2nd star of the week in the NHL. Make of this what you will.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Just came to my attention that Kari was 2nd star of the week in the NHL. Make of this what you will.

Dead cat bounce.

Niemi is gone at all costs, Kari is hopefully gone but I won't lose my **** if he's the backup.

If Kari's number of games are kept in the 20-25 range next year, I'm probably fine. Any more than that, I'm sad :(

*****​

Ideally, I'd like to move on and go with a couple of unproven twenty somethings, double your chances of finding an answer long term.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Canucks fan coming in peace. I see y'all are talking about buying out/trading Niemi for sure. How would Cederholm (nothing prospect who's contract expires after next season) for Niemi and your 2nd sound?

Obviously as fans we'd all prefer our teams to buy out someone like Niemi as its not our money. 3M is a lot of money to fork over for an owner to a player to not play if you're anyone but the Leafs. This saves Dallas the 1.5M in cap space for each of the next 2 seasons. is 3M and 1.5M cap space per/2yrs worth what currently is the 39th overall pick?

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
On the surface that seems like it might not be too bad, but I would rather buy out Niemi and keep the second to add to some other pieces in an effort to trade for defense.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
On the surface that seems like it might not be too bad, but I would rather buy out Niemi and keep the second to add to some other pieces in an effort to trade for defense.

Yea I would too if I was a Dallas fan, but realistically would the owners as well as the GM be willing to fork out 3M and 1.5M in dead cap space over giving up the 2nd?

If a d-man is what you are after how about expanding the deal to include Gudbranson and the 2nd y'all received from Anaheim? If the pick becomes a 1st the deal stays as is. If its a mid 2nd, Dallas throws in their 3rd in 2018 as well.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Canucks fan coming in peace. I see y'all are talking about buying out/trading Niemi for sure. How would Cederholm (nothing prospect who's contract expires after next season) for Niemi and your 2nd sound?

Obviously as fans we'd all prefer our teams to buy out someone like Niemi as its not our money. 3M is a lot of money to fork over for an owner to a player to not play if you're anyone but the Leafs. This saves Dallas the 1.5M in cap space for each of the next 2 seasons. is 3M and 1.5M cap space per/2yrs worth what currently is the 39th overall pick?

I certainly don't think it is, but I'm not footing the bill.

Regardless, Dallas has more than enough cap space to do pretty much whatever they want. The $3 million in actual money would have significantly more value than the cap space.

With that in mind, this deal would be Tom Gaglardi admitting to the world that he's a cheapskate. And if he did that, there is no way in hell he'd let Francesco Aquilini of all people bail him out financially.

Montgomery81

Aug 6, 2015
Oklahoma City
Last summer I was on the Bishop bandwagon, but now I'm wanting Darling or Raanta, preferably Darling. I think Nemo is bought out, and Kari is slotted for the backup role.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Buyout Niemi, and get Grubauer with Lehtonen as backup is what I'm hoping for.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I hope for Grubauer or Korpisalo. Buy out niemi. If that does not work then buy out niemi and see if bishop takes 3 years for 4.5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad