Speculation: Who is in goal next season?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Agree. Realistically, it is probably too expensive to buy out both. Niemi goes, and Kari is the back up, no matter who comes in, just to use actually salary/cap hit on a real player with some value. One year at $5.9 we can handle.

Maybe, maybe, they pay lip service to Kari having a shot at starter, but the new guy is there for a reason. IMHO, it should be

I think Bishop will not get 7/7 he originally asked for, and probably not 6/6, with term more likely to be reduced than salary, say $6.5/5.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I think the only realistic chance we get both Kari and Niemi off the roster is through trading for MAF. It doesn't sound like they're willing to buyout both goalies, but from what Heika says they will buyout one. Trading for MAF could allow you to send one to Pittsburgh and then buyout the other. I think Pittsburgh is the only team that'd be willing to take a goalie back.

Fleury is probably increasing his value in these playoffs so I'm a bit worried what he would cost in trade especially if there are other suitors. Plus he's 32, which means more pressure on developing his heir apparent sooner than latter, which also worries me given our track record. If we could use more assets/money on the defense and offense I'd rather we do that and go cheaper in goal.

maltrophstitan

Oct 7, 2011
Any interest in mrazek? Nill connection with detriot,
wings in a slight rebuild,
two top 10 picks could be interesting for them

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Fleury is probably increasing his value in these playoffs so I'm a bit worried what he would cost in trade especially if there are other suitors. Plus he's 32, which means more pressure on developing his heir apparent sooner than latter, which also worries me given our track record. If we could use more assets/money on the defense and offense I'd rather we do that and go cheaper in goal.

The only way other serious contenders would honestly pop up is after the expansion draft, and the Penguins can't afford to wait.

There are a limited number of teams who have an open protection slot for MAF. My bigger concern, assuming Nill wants MAF, would be Calgary. MAF's NMC clause is limited, but that actually doesn't mean anything. It's still designed in a way that MAF's agent easily can dictate the one spot he's willing to go. While it requires him to list 18 teams, there's nothing to stop him from say making that list:

1) Anaheim (Gibson)
2) Chicago (Crawford)
3) Boston (Rask)
4) Columbus (Bobrovsky)
5) Detroit (Mrazek)
6) Edmonton (Talbot)
7) Los Angeles (Quick)
8) Minnesota (Dubnyk)
9) Montreal (Price)
10) Nashville (Rinne)
11) New Jersey (Schneider)
12) NY Rangers (Lundqvist)
13) San Jose (Jones)
14) St. Louis (Allen)
15) Tampa Bay (Vasilevskiy)
16) Toronto (Andersen)
17) Washington (Holtby)
18) Winnipeg (Hellebuyck)

With that list, he's effectively blocked any trade from happening. None of those teams would expose the player I listed in favor of MAF, and personally I doubt any of those 18 teams would see MAF as an upgrade.

The Penguins fans acting like they have any control in this situation are delusional. The only thing they have going for them is MAF seems like a team first guy, and he might be influenced to help them out, especially if he can go to a team like Calgary who looks like they really only need a goalie to take another big step. It sucks, but Calgary clearly took a giant step ahead of Dallas IMO in terms of desirability to a goalie.

Many players though stick to their guns that this is a business. If I'm MAF's agent, I'm in his ear that being bought out is hands down your best option. It maximizes his earning potential. Rather than earning $11.5 million in the next 2 years, he's guaranteed $7,666,668 million in the next four. Given his major uptick in play, as an UFA, he won't get $5.75 over 4 to 7 years or anything crazy, but he'll probably pretty easily get, let's just be conservative and say between $4.5 to $5.25 on a 3 year deal. There's very little chance, should he remain on this contract, that he'll be getting multi-year offers at $4+ in 2 years at 34 years old.

So ... Get bought out and earn ... let's say $25 million in the next 4 years (Buyout Money + 3 year deal + 1 year deal).

OR

Knowing your injury history and the fact most goalies fall off a cliff before they hit 35 ... you're only guaranteed $11.5 million for 2 more years and you're probably looking at $1.5 to $2.5 million contracts for one year for the rest of your career assuming you get any more offers.

I have no clue where MAF's mind is at, but it's not like he wants to be forced out of Pittsburgh. His contract though gives him 100% of the control on what happens to him, and more importantly, this isn't some situation where you can reasonably expect a surprise suitor. The expansion draft only allowing one protection slot for a goalie effectively eliminates the guess work on who would add a starting goalie before free agency. If MAF is selfless and makes this process easy for Pittsburgh, they could get a good return ... and hey that's pretty admirable on MAF's part. The opposite is not true though. He's not selfish for making the best business decision he can.

It's honestly going to be pretty damn interesting.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

I'd argue that being forced to have an heir apparent in place in 2 or 3 years is a better scenario for Dallas. The Stars have done zero to prove they can develop a goalie. Obviously I hope they're working hard to correct that, but there won't be a better opportunity than the one created by the expansion draft where multiple young, talented goalies could be available.

I'd say they have a better shot of finding the goalie of the future by acquiring an NHL ready goalie developed in a different system then say signing Bishop for 4 or 5 years and counting on developing a home grown guy.

That's a pretty negative viewpoint to take, but Nill's recent brush off about not even having a full time AHL goalie coach doesn't give me a ton of confidence they are in the right mindset to immediately fix their development issue.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens fan, but you are one quality goalie away from getting back into the mix. Yes MAF for Niemi and buyout of Kari would net you some cap savings and not tie up the position for more than two years. If MAF works, you can extend him then. My offer is MAF for Niemi and Johns.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'd be out on Johns. I'm willing to gamble he'll bounce back under Hitchcock more so than Oleksiak finally taking a step forward. Creating a hole at RD doesn't make sense when there are plenty of goalies on the market this year.

I might be wrong here, but there's no indication that a huge market exists for a starting goalie right now. There are definitely more goalies available than starting jobs. If two GM's fall in love with MAF, maybe you get an NHL asset back for him in a bidding war, but I'm skeptical, especially with another established starter in free agency. I've already admitted that I'd rather have MAF and his contract over Bishop and a free agent contract, but frankly they aren't the only options. MAF with an NHL asset coming back drops him even lower on the list.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I'd be out on Johns. I'm willing to gamble he'll bounce back under Hitchcock more so than Oleksiak finally taking a step forward. Creating a hole at RD doesn't make sense when there are plenty of goalies on the market this year.

I might be wrong here, but there's no indication that a huge market exists for a starting goalie right now. There are definitely more goalies available than starting jobs. If two GM's fall in love with MAF, maybe you get an NHL asset back for him in a bidding war, but I'm skeptical, especially with another established starter in free agency. I've already admitted that I'd rather have MAF and his contract over Bishop and a free agent contract, but frankly they aren't the only options. MAF with an NHL asset coming back drops him even lower on the list.

You're probably right but if MAF has three rings some GM might get blinded by that. There's no other goalie with that resume much less in free agency.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
For the 2017-18 season, Dallas currently has Ben Bishop (six years, $29,500,000), Kari Lehtonen (one year, $5,900,000), and Antti Niemi (one year, $4,500,000) under contract. That equates to a $15,160,000 cap hit just for their goaltenders, easily the most expensive trio in the National Hockey League. To put it in perspective, Dallas is paying over $4,000,000 more for the goalies in their organization than they are for their defensemen.

How do they fix this issue?

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/05/16/dallas-stars-options-goaltending-conundrum/

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
For the 2017-18 season, Dallas currently has Ben Bishop (six years, $29,500,000), Kari Lehtonen (one year, $5,900,000), and Antti Niemi (one year, $4,500,000) under contract. That equates to a $15,160,000 cap hit just for their goaltenders, easily the most expensive trio in the National Hockey League. To put it in perspective, Dallas is paying over $4,000,000 more for the goalies in their organization than they are for their defensemen.

How do they fix this issue?

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/05/16/dallas-stars-options-goaltending-conundrum/

Find a buyer for one of Kari/Niemi. Nill stated in his interview with TSN yesterday that he's already gotten calls in regards to those two. If we can't find a buyer, then we buyout Niemi.

Far from an issue

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Find a buyer for one of Kari/Niemi. Nill stated in his interview with TSN yesterday that he's already gotten calls in regards to those two. If we can't find a buyer, then we buyout Niemi.

Far from an issue
I sure hope they dont end up burning assets to get rid of Niemi. Just buy him out and take a cash hit. I know its easier for me to say because its not my money, but id be worried about the frugality of ownership if they dont do a buy out rather than paying a ransom.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
On Facebook Live, Nolan Patrick said Landon Bow was one of the harder goalies to score on in the WHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad