WJC: Who is getting relegated?

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
One user said that. The others thought Granath, Johnsen and Oby-Olsen, having a impact in SHL is nothing special. They said its more impressing playing in Belarus/Latvian/Kazak League.

One user even went so far to say that Sweden have worse junior programs than those 3 nations.
Granath, Oby-Olsen and Johnsen have 2 career points combined in the SHL. I wouldn't define that as making an impact. They said nothing at all about the swedish development system, this is all about Granath, Oby-Olsen and Johnsen not playing any sort of relevant minutes in the SHL.

Some youngsters playing big minutes in the Belarussian mens league might be better than a few Norweigan youngsters sitting on the bench in the SHL and mostly playing J20 hockey. That does not at all mean that Belarus have a better developmental system than Sweden. There are some players playing in the Belarussian league that are superior to CHLers. That does not mean Belarus are better talent developers than Canada.

And no one said Sweden don't have a much better developmental system than the three nations you mentioned. You are just making that up. I can copy his post for you. "Youre massively underrated the Belarusian league. And more importantly the Belarusian development system is way more advanced than Norways which is the big difference." " Where did I say Sweden? To equate the shl and Norway as if there remotely similar is incredible disingenuous." "Vast majority still spent the majority of their development in the Norway system. And the ones in Sweden r undrafted 19 years old, midgets that dont inspire much imo. Johnsen and wold being the exception."

Those are the quotes.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Looks like Ukraine is in next year.

Uh no. That's not even the group that promotes into the top level, and Ukraine won't likely win their group anyway, that was just 1 win over France. Winner of BLR, LAT, NOR, KAZ, DEN, HUN will promote. Looking like Belarus right now but could still be Latvia or Norway.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Looks as though it will be Belarus or Norway coming up next year. Norway would have to beat Belarus in regulation tomorrow for it to be anyone but Belarus.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Looks as though Belarus has 8 players born after 2002 on their roster. Other factors yet to be seen, sets them up well for next year to avoid being sent back.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Looks as though Belarus has 8 players born after 2002 on their roster. Other factors yet to be seen, sets them up well for next year to avoid being sent back.
Who would get sent back over them though next year? I think AUS, SUI, and GER are the 3 most likely this year, and all 3 would have stronger rosters than Belarus next year IMO.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Who would get sent back over them though next year? I think AUS, SUI, and GER are the 3 most likely this year, and all 3 would have stronger rosters than Belarus next year IMO.
Who knows. However having a good group of guys who were experienced and a key part in getting the team to the big dance will go a long way. I think the Germans are due for down year. This could be it too though, given they're once again not getting most of their best eligible players.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Why do yo think any of those three teams are better than Belarus next year? Have you checked what Belarus U18 team have done in their last two or three U18 championships?

Reactions: Czechboy

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Why do yo think any of those three teams are better than Belarus next year? Have you checked what Belarus U18 team have done in their last two or three U18 championships?
No 2020 tourney (if there was the oldest players would be in their last year of WJC eligibility now), 2019 tourney players (01's for the most part) have already aged out. The 2021 U-18's though (03's) will be the oldest players at next year's WJC. The Belarusians performed pretty well, so it's safe to say if they get promoted they shouldn't be taken lightly.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Austria is going down, but the Germans not having their best players could make it close.

Next year, I could see Germany going down.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
It's going to be either Austria or Germany. No Peterka, Reichel, Stutzle or Lutz means Germany is icing a really terrible roster this tournament. Like their best player is Florian Elias who can do fine when he's paired with good players but I doubt he can get the job done by himself. Austria is pretty much Marco Kasper and Senna Peters the latter of which isn't even that good and a bunch of guys who have no hope of playing professional hockey in North America.

Reactions: Kleefeld

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Sweden are the 2nd biggest gold favorites. Eklund, Holtz and many more up front, with great defencemen and Wallstedt in goal. I think you know this Sweden team have good gold chances and I don't know why you take the piss regarding us so much.

I think Austria go down despite having a better first line than Germany.
Sweden as of now might be the second biggest gold favourites but it's definitely not by much. Russia is still going to be very good despite making some bad roster decisions and the USA is bringing a really strong defense corps. It's crazy to me that the Swedes took Sjoholm and Forsfjall over Wallinder.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Austria is getting relegated. Germany is missing some of their best players which is a pity for the entire tournament, but they should still beat Austria.

Reactions: Czechboy

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I may have to retract my previous statements. Austria is getting relegated without a doubt. 7-0 loss to Sweden without Edvinsson, yikes. Only 7 shots on goal for Austria total.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I may have to retract my previous statements. Austria is getting relegated without a doubt. 7-0 loss to Sweden without Edvinsson, yikes. Only 7 shots on goal for Austria total.
Austria is likely to be relegated, but it will have nothing to do with Sweden or other big powerhouse mauling them unless they face them in relegation playoff. In WJC we are used to seeing blowouts in double digits so 0:7 is hardly worth raising an eyebrow.

Reactions: Kleefeld

Prsut18

Jul 30, 2018
CZ
I just hope it is not Czech republic.. I don't have a good feeling about our youth hockey lately

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think Germany and Switzerland is in danger. Germany is missing many players and Switzerland have not so good age groups.

Austria is a canidate as well.

Maybe Sweden. Sweden have better roster than the 3 nations above, but with horrible coaching that might put Sweden even below those nations.

Yes another Eye of Ra thread where he discloses his Swedish insecurities.

In related new today is another day ending in Y

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Wait until they play Germany. No Reichel, Lutz, Stutzle or Peterka means there is literally no one on their roster who has NHL aspirations. Whoever loses when they play gets relegated. Don't see either beating the Swiss in relegation.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Wait until they play Germany. No Reichel, Lutz, Stutzle or Peterka means there is literally no one on their roster who has NHL aspirations. Whoever loses when they play gets relegated. Don't see either beating the Swiss in relegation.
Indeed, I’m just looking at shot totals. 9 only. I think Germany would easily get 15+ shots vs Germany, probably closer to 20 with decent generated chances. Maybe I’m underestimating the Kasper line

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Indeed, I’m just looking at shot totals. 9 only. I think Germany would easily get 15+ shots vs Germany, probably closer to 20 with decent generated chances. Maybe I’m underestimating the Kasper line
Yeah the game between Germany and Austria will be fun. Kasper and a whole bunch of nothing vs Elias and a whole bunch of nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad