WJC: Who is getting relegated?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I think Germany and Switzerland is in danger. Germany is missing many players and Switzerland have not so good age groups.

Austria is a canidate as well.

Maybe Sweden. Sweden have better roster than the 3 nations above, but with horrible coaching that might put Sweden even below those nations.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Sweden is not getting relegated :laugh:
I think it’s germany, which is very unfortunate considering their 2002 age group strength up top and are also missing Lutz. Out of the 3 (Swiss, Austria, Germans), I think Austria probably has the best top line. Switzerland has the best depth out of all 3 and probably the best player currently, Knak and the best dman, Bischel. I’d say it will come down to the game between Austria and Switzerland.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Sweden are the 2nd biggest gold favorites. Eklund, Holtz and many more up front, with great defencemen and Wallstedt in goal. I think you know this Sweden team have good gold chances and I don't know why you take the piss regarding us so much.

I think Austria go down despite having a better first line than Germany.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Germany vs. Austria can go either way, whoever loses is certainly the favorite to go down. Germany has the weaker team though.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Germany vs. Austria can go either way, whoever loses is certainly the favorite to go down. Germany has the weaker team though.
Huh? I don't see it, at all. Germany is better in goal, way way way better on D and marginally worse but way older F. Germany should be able to outplay Austria any time their top line isn't on the ice.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The Austrians have a young team and are more top-heavy that's true, but the German offense looks very underwhelming as of now. Hopefully that greater experience ends up showing though.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
How would sweden be relegated? They have Edvinsson, Eklund, Wallstedt, who are among the best at their positions in the tournament, not to mention Rosen, Olausson, Lysell etc. who all could be better than any players on Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. One of those 3 will be relegated. I would choose Austria right now due to complete lack of depth, and inexperience.

MattiasSnall

May 1, 2018
Sweden are the 2nd biggest gold favorites. Eklund, Holtz and many more up front, with great defencemen and Wallstedt in goal. I think you know this Sweden team have good gold chances and I don't know why you take the piss regarding us so much.

I think Austria go down despite having a better first line than Germany.
Sweden should obviously not be in a discussion for relegation, but they are definetly not the 2nd biggest favourite for this years tournament. Canada and Russia are the 2 favourites for gold. Finland has better forwards and pretty even d-core but Sweden have a better goalie. Overall in this years pre-tournaments and on paper Finland should be considered ahead.

USA has a slightly weaker team then previous years and measured by their standards, but is still not out of chance to succeed. There forward group is also ahead of the Swedish forward group.

I would rank the top teams likes this:
1. Canada
2. Russia
3. Finland
4/5. USA/Sweden

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Sweden should obviously not be in a discussion for relegation, but they are definetly not the 2nd biggest favourite for this years tournament. Canada and Russia are the 2 favourites for gold. Finland has better forwards and pretty even d-core but Sweden have a better goalie. Overall in this years pre-tournaments and on paper Finland should be considered ahead.

USA has a slightly weaker team then previous years and measured by their standards, but is still not out of chance to succeed. There forward group is also ahead of the Swedish forward group.

I would rank the top teams likes this:
1. Canada
2. Russia
3. Finland
4/5. USA/Sweden
After looking at the squads more in depth, I agree mostly. This Russian roster looks insane. They are favorites against Sweden for sure. I think Finland, Sweden and the US are very evenly matched. Considering Holtz might not come and that Sweden for some reason left of Wallinder, a high draft pick and top SHL defenceman, for no reason, I am not as high on this years team as I was before the roster announcement. We have worse depth than usual but some good high end pieces and really good goaltending.

1. Russia/Canada
Followed by Finland, Sweden and the US in any order. That is how I see it.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Austria... I would feel awful for the Germans if they got relegated.

Having said that.. Germany has not had any luck it success at tourneys lately.

Swiss need a new bumper crop and some NHL goalies.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
With those roster selections and that coaching, Sweden is not completely unlikely.

Montén is f***ing piss-poor. Like the entire swedish hockey federation.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
So Monten did not select Wallinder and he selects Sjöholm, a guy that cant defend and belongs in a rugby pitch.

Sweden is getting relegated.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
So Sweden have worse junior programs than Belarus, Latvia and Kazaksthan according to several "knowledge" users in the u20 d1a thread. 'll be damned . I thought our only problem where the coach. :skeptic:

TheGreekShot

Nov 28, 2019
Austria, Switzerland, Germany surely are the bottom 3. As for which one gets relegated... flip a 3 sided coin imo

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
So Sweden have worse junior programs than Belarus, Latvia and Kazaksthan according to several "knowledge" users in the u20 d1a thread. 'll be damned . I thought our only problem where the coach. :skeptic:
That was about Norway, not Sweden. Don’t pretend to be stupid.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
That was about Norway, not Sweden. Don’t pretend to be stupid.

It was about both Sweden and Norway. They think its more impressing with juniors doing good in the leagues of Kazaksthan/Latvia/Belarus than in SHL/Norway league. The conclusion from that is that they think SHL is weaker than those leagues and that we have worse junior programs.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
It was about both Sweden and Norway. They think its more impressing with juniors doing good in the leagues of Kazaksthan/Latvia/Belarus than in SHL/Norway league. The conclusion from that is that they think SHL is weaker than those leagues and that we have worse junior programs.
That was absolutely not even close to the conclusion. They simply thought a few guys playing on the first line in mens leagues in Lativia and Belarus were not neccesarily worse than Norweigan prospects who have been healthy scratches in a few SHL games. All of the people mentioned know that the SHL is the third best league in the world. They made it clear that they think the SHL is a very high level.

Reactions: kabidjan18

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
That was absolutely not even close to the conclusion. They simply thought a few guys playing on the first line in mens leagues in Lativia and Belarus were not neccesarily worse than Norweigan prospects who have been healthy scratches in a few SHL games. All of the people mentioned know that the SHL is the third best league in the world. They made it clear that they think the SHL is a very high level.

One user said that. The others thought Granath, Johnsen and Oby-Olsen, having a impact in SHL is nothing special. They said its more impressing playing in Belarus/Latvian/Kazak League.

One user even went so far to say that Sweden have worse junior programs than those 3 nations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad