Prospect Info: Who is Canucks #1 prospect

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
He doesn't strike me as the type who would have too much trouble putting it together, either. Just quietly does it in the background.

I've watched him more than any other prospect. Most think he's been carried by his line mates but I think he generates more for them than the other way around. He's one of my favorite prospects.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
my top 15

Horvat
Virtanen
Vey
Shinkaruk
Hutton
Demko
McCann
Corrado
Gaunce
Jensen
Cassels
Eriksson
Fox
Forsling
Tryamkin

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Horvat, then Virtanen for me.

It could change in a hurry, but I love how translatable hours game is and he thinks the game just the way I like it.

Horvat
Virtanen
Shinkaruk
Gaunce
McCann
Corrado
Vey
Hutton
Demko
Cassels

Jordalenko

Dec 10, 2008
Horvat

Shinkaruk
Hutton
Cassels
Virtanen
McCann
Demko

Are all guys who could be good or really good

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Wow, I'm surprised Horvat is beating Virtanen by so much.

Personally I like Horvat's game more, but his upside is nowhere near Virtanen's IMO (and this is coming from someone who didn't really want to draft Virtanen at 6).

How do you define upside, and how do you account for play without the puck in that projection?

This is my own personal ranking based on how much I like what I see, personally:

1. Virtanen
2. Horvat
3. McCann
4. Gaunce
5. Hutton
6. Demko
7. Cassels
8. Shinkaruk (not as high on him as most are)
9. Jensen
10. Corrado
11. Forsling
12. Vey (I'm honestly not very high on him)
13. Eriksson
14. Fox
15. Tryamkin
16. Tommernes
17. Cannata
18. Subban
19. Lain
20. McEneny

One more blue chip offensive center prospect + a guy like McKeown instead of Vey and I think our prospect pool would be asolutely fantastic, IMO.

Like your Gaunce ranking. There are still a few here who are high on him.

I too would have taken McKeown instead of trading the pick for Vey. With Vey, there's a good chance he tops out as a fringe NHLer. VAN took on more risk here, IMO.

McKeown was a late 1st round talent that fell. A player like that can 'cook' in the system for a while and steadily improve his game. He also would have addressed RHD depth in the pipeline - Something this org. could really use. Ah well.

It's funny to think that this team could have walked away with 4 1st round projected talents with their 4 top60 picks. Would have been a fantastic haul.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
How do you define upside, and how do you account for play without the puck in that projection?

Like your Gaunce ranking. There are still a few here who are high on him.

I too would have taken McKeown instead of trading the pick for Vey. With Vey, there's a good chance he tops out as a fringe NHLer. VAN took on more risk here, IMO.

McKeown was a late 1st round talent that fell. A player like that can 'cook' in the system for a while and steadily improve his game. He also would have addressed RHD depth in the pipeline - Something this org. could really use. Ah well.

It's funny to think that this team could have walked away with 4 1st round projected talents with their 4 top60 picks. Would have been a fantastic haul.
His defense is why I like Horvat more, and think he's a safer projection. I find Virtanen's toolbox too incredible to not consider him as having a higher upside, though.

Tell me about it. Everything seemed to fall on our laps and we came out of it well but not ideally.

Would have loved to have

Virtanen
Barbashev (I'm more than okay with McCann though)
Demko
McKeown
Tryamkin
Froslin

As the first six picks. That would have been fantastic.

And just to daydream, if Kesler could have returned the 10th overall (nothing else coming with it), to think we could have added Ritchie to that. I mean, holy crap.

That honestly would be enough to make me do a 180 on the whole rebuild vs. push now debate. I would be much more comfortable just sticking with that prospect pool. As it stands now, I'm hoping they finish low enough that they get a few more great pieces from the 2015 draft.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Bo. In 5 years he will be the heart and soul of this franchise.

Next, Virtanen. Too much raw potential.

On Vey, just as a thought experiment, if Rodin hadn't got hurt and gone back to Sweden, but instead had progressed steadily up to a ppg AHL player, where would he be ranked?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Too many of these I haven't seen play to make any sort of rankings, but I do like the "idea" of Horvat.

Kesler, even if he is in most ways more skilled than Horvat, frustrated me with his lack of intelligence. Horvat seems more "mature" in the way he plays.

Would love to have an intelligent fairly big two-way C for the play-offs. Could see Horvat leading a "heavy" line that would dominate the opposition even if that line might not be high scoring.

It never works out perfectly as planned, but interesting how we seem to be looking for "solid" Cs and wingers with a bit more "flair". Like it.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Shinkaruk did look a hell of a lot more impressive in camp last time round. Didn't seem small, played fierce, and dat shottt.

Buffalo In A Carwash

Registered User?
Apr 10, 2012
Quesnel
1. Horvat
2. Virtanen
3. Shinkaruk
4. Corrado
5. McCann
6. Hutton
7. Vey
8. Gaunce
9. Jensen
10. Demko
11. Cassels
12. Fox
13. Eriksson
14. Grenier
15. Subban
16. McEneny
17. Tramkin
18. Forsling
19. Archibald
20. Rodin
21. Zalewski
22. Cederholm
23. Lain
24. McNally
25. Tommernes

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Voted Virtanen. Has the potential to a legitimate gamebreaker, in a lot of different ways.

Was very close to voting Shinkaruk though.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Voted Virtanen. Has the potential to a legitimate gamebreaker, in a lot of different ways.

Was very close to voting Shinkaruk though.

Voted Virtanen for similar reasoning. "Gamebreaker" is being pretty hopeful but he seems to have the most 1st liner potential whereas Horvat or Jensen look like they'll be good 2nd liners. Doesn't mean that they can't turn into 1st liners, but Virtanen probably has the best chance at it based on his skill-set.

Horvat is the "safe" pick because most of us would probably be surprised and disappointed if he didn't at least become a 2C.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, 2C is arguably just as important as 1W and Horvat is probably more likely to reach his potential than Virtanen.

Oh well, I guess they're even in my mind.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I voted for Virtanen because he has the highest potential and trade value right now. Horvat comes second.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
My top 10

Horvat
Shinkaruk
Virtanen
Gaunce
Corrado
Hutton
Cassels
Jensen
McCann
Fox

I don't think I have ever had such a tough time with the Top 10.

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
Horvat, Virtanen are most likely to become really "special players"

Jensen, Shinkaruk have good upside too, but a bit more "boom/bust" to their game and development.

Hutton is coming along nicely. Different ilk than Corrado.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad