Prospect Info: Who is Canucks #1 prospect

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury
Voted Shinkaruk.

Thought I'd vote Horvat but I really think Shinkaruk's skill level is in another league and will be a #1 line player for longer than Horvat will.

BC Boy

Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
I'll take Horvat. If he hulks out (both physically and mentally) I can easily see him becoming a staple 2C that opposing teams will dread to see and get off the puck.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Voted Shinkaruk.

Thought I'd vote Horvat but I really think Shinkaruk's skill level is in another league and will be a #1 line player for longer than Horvat will.

This. Shinkaruk has a higher ceiling and I could see him becoming a 1LW. Horvat is likely best suited as a 2C.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Shinkaruk is my most hopeful of becoming a 1st liner. Everyone else seems to be "maybe a great 2nd liner". Still a 2nd liner.....

Lundface*

my personal top 20 prospect ranking

1 Bo Horvat
2 Jake Virtanen
3 Hunter Shinkaruk
4 Ben Hutton
5 Brendan Gaunce
6 Linden Vey - not really sure where he stands atm
7 Jared McCann
8 Joacim Eriksson
9 Thatcher Demko
10 Nicklas Jensen
11 Frankie Corrado
12 Dane Fox
13 Cole Cassels
14 Evan McEneny
15 Nikita Tryamkin
16 Alexandre Grenier
17 Joseph Labate
18 Jordan Subban
19 Michael Zalewski
20 Henrik Tommernes

1. Bo Horvat
2. Hunter Shinkaruk
3. Jake Virtanen
4. Jared McCann
5. Nicklas Jensen
6. Cole Cassels
7. Frank Corrado
8. Brendan Gaunce
9. Ben Hutton
10. Thatcher Demko

Left Vey out

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Virtanen has the best overall "package" for his combination of skill, size, speed etc.

Horvat is the most mature and the closest to playing in the NHL (maybe if Shinkaruk wasn't injured it would be a different story).

Shinkaruk probably has the highest up side if he reaches his full potential.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
1. Bo Horvat
2. Hunter Shinkaruk
3. Nicklas Jensen
4. Jake Virtanen
5. Jared McCann
6. Linden Vey
7. Frankie Corrado
8. Thatcher Demko
9. Brendan Gaunce
10. Ben Hutton
11. Cole Cassels
12. Alexandre Grenier
13. Joakim Eriksson
14. Dane Fox
15. Joe LaBate
16. Kellan Lain
17. Jordan Subban
18. Gustav Forsling
19. Anton Cederholm
20. Nikita Tryamkin

HMs to Archibald and Blomstrand, Cannata

edit: Forgot Fox

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Wow, I'm surprised Horvat is beating Virtanen by so much.

Personally I like Horvat's game more, but his upside is nowhere near Virtanen's IMO (and this is coming from someone who didn't really want to draft Virtanen at 6).

This is my own personal ranking based on how much I like what I see, personally:

1. Virtanen
2. Horvat
3. McCann
4. Gaunce
5. Hutton
6. Demko
7. Cassels
8. Shinkaruk (not as high on him as most are)
9. Jensen
10. Corrado
11. Forsling
12. Vey (I'm honestly not very high on him)
13. Eriksson
14. Fox
15. Tryamkin
16. Tommernes
17. Cannata
18. Subban
19. Lain
20. McEneny

One more blue chip offensive center prospect + a guy like McKeown instead of Vey and I think our prospect pool would be asolutely fantastic, IMO.

Last edited:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
^^ Pretty much this for me too.

Virtanen was probably the best shooter in this draft. This is an organization that needs pure offensive talent and he has size to boot. I have Horvat at #2 right now.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
My favourite thread series of the summer is here! Voted Bo, scored at a good clip while doing the heavy lifting.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Voted Shinkaruk.

Problem with Shinkaruk is when you have any major injury, there are a ton of question marks. I wouldn't consider him till #3 or later...

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I really struggle to see Shinkaruk getting through his question-marks enough to having a real core role on this team, personally. It could happen, sure, but I can't really picture it.

I see him more as a guy with alot of skill but is going to have to fight tooth and nail just to get a sniff at the major scoring areas.

I'm honestly higher on Gaunce/Cassels, despite their skill level being alot lower.

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
For me I have to choose Bo Horvat.

He might not be able to produce like a top line player at the NHL level but I think he's going to develop into one of the best second line 2 way players in the league during his prime and he'll be someone that comes through in the playoffs for us.

With his hockey build and hockey sense I think he's going to make the transition to the NHL rather soon, and as early as this upcoming season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad