Who is Canada rooting for?

Who are you rooting for?

• Total voters

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
It's crazy how so many Canadian fans hate all the other Canadian teams. I would've thought 80%+ would be rooting for the Jets.

I'm American, and I want a Canadian team to win the Cup. If not this year, then next. I want Ovi to get a Cup too though.

I think it would be hilarious (and awesome) if one of the next few Finals was Jets-Leafs, for the NBC meltdown, the Leafs hate, and Laine-Matthews.
Depends on the team, but nearly 60% is pretty damn good.

Winnipeg is probably the most likeable/least hateable city and franchise in Canada though. We know what this place (did in Vanoucver case) would look like if any other team were going on a long playoff run. I wasn't around here, but it was probably 70/30 Cheering against/for the Oilers and Flames in their finals runs in BC.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I cheer for these teams in order: 1-Winnipeg. 2-Calgary. 3-Vancouver. 4-Edmonton. 5-Ottawa. 6-Toronto. 7-Montreal. Toronto takes the 2nd last spot because SN always gives us ****ty broadcasters for nationally televised games and the media, in general, didn't believe Winnipeg deserved to get another NHL franchise. Montreal is last because almost half of Quebec doesn't want to be a part of Canada anyway and don't even call themselves Canadian. So f**k 'em!
Another Rip van Winkle...

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
It's crazy how so many Canadian fans hate all the other Canadian teams. I would've thought 80%+ would be rooting for the Jets.

I'm American, and I want a Canadian team to win the Cup. If not this year, then next. I want Ovi to get a Cup too though.

I think it would be hilarious (and awesome) if one of the next few Finals was Jets-Leafs, for the NBC meltdown, the Leafs hate, and Laine-Matthews.
I think that the majority of Canadian hockey fans are cheering for the Jets. It's just a noisy minority of moaning/groaning young'ns I would venture.
At any rate they can all go jump in the nearest lake cause these Jets are the real deal and as a long time Hawk fan who lived through many a year of no playoffs and no Cups I can see the ingredients for a good long run for these lads. Go Jets!!!

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
I've always noticed my friends/extended family often go for the last Canadian team, but I've built up a hatred for them so I never do. Hate the Canucks because my Dad loves the Hawks and I watch every game with him in the playoffs. Hate the Oilers because of all the high picks. Don't hate the Flames as much but I still cheered for the Lightning to see Andreychuk get a Cup. Hate the Leafs because they traded Andreychuk when I was 9. Hate the Sens because I want the Avs to get first overall next year. Hate the Habs because there's no better entertainment than them being irrelevant.

Even in the Central though I haven't had the time to build the hate for Winnipeg. Plus I love watching Big Buff. Plus Ovi finally overcoming the Pens and getting to the Finals only to lose to Winnipeg of all teams would be hilarious. Go Jets!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Would love the people of Winnipeg to get a cup. Great history with the Avco cup. Great history from the Hawerchuk and Selanne years. Lost the franchise, only to get it back. And they are doing it the right way. All their early draft picks are contributing. I'm all in for a Jets and Caps finals. With one of these 2 teams winning it.

For me that's a win, win.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I completely understand die-hard fans of other CDN teams cheering against the Jets. I mostly do the same - especially early in the first couple rounds.

Even though I hate the Canucks, Oilers and Flames mostly because of what they did to Jets 1.0, I did find myself cheering for them in rounds 3 and 4 just because the energy and excitement around those fanbases and cities was pretty neat.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
The best part is 3/4 of the identifiable players in the image aren’t Canadian! Perhaps to highlight the ridiculousness of rooting for a nationality in a club competition...
Well ... first I can only see three identifiable players where one is Canadian, one American and one Finnish ... the goalie is most likely Hellebuyck but one can't say for sure ... second ... who cares what the nationality is for any player or majority of players on said team? The important factor is that the team is in Canada ... in Manitoba ... in Winnipeg. People are cheering for the team the Winnipeg Jets. And speaking of the Jets .... GO JETS!!!

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
For those who are shocked about Canadians not cheering for another Canadian team.. I think it has a lot to do with regional rivalries.. Pretty much everyone outside of Ontario hates the Leafs, all French Canadians Cheer for the Habs, a lot of English Canadians cheer against the “French” Habs... Prairrie Folk cheer for each other..but only if their team has been eliminated from the playoffs...a lot of Canadians used to cheer for the Canucks but were turned off after the Canuck fans un-Canadian behaviours...

aqsw

PM
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
I love the outcome.
Canadians love the Jets.

I remember when the Canuck lost. I was devistaed, I'm a Canadian fan!

Last edited:

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Wow. I didn't realize all Canadian hockey fans were children. I thought this was isolated to Leafs fans. Lol

Seriously. Canada doesn't want any Canadian team to win the cup because it wouldn't be THEIR team? So most of Canada is rooting against Winnipeg? Wow.

You even look at the poll results ?

Or you listening to one guy on here and calling him a country? :huh:

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I do usually cheer for the last Canadian team remaining only because it's been too damn long. I likely wouldn't be if Canadian teams were winning Cups every 4-5 years like they statistically should be.

So yes I'm cheering for the Jets but that's not the only reason. That city just deserves it more than any other.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
I dont understand how can Edm Cgy Van fans cheer for Wpg, given how insuferable the Jets fanbase already is - while they won nothing (ever). Cant even imagine how much more smug they'd get if they actually win something other than Laine sweepstakes.

Tl,dr: go Vegas!

Reactions: Devonator

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Oilers fan cheering for the Jets. A lot of Canadians just don't want them to win because they want their team to be the one to bring the cup back to Canada. As long as it's not Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary or Vancouver then I don't mind.

Let me do my math here.....

So you don't mind the Jets winning the cup, even though that takes away the whole "bringing it back home" for your Oilers (and every other Canadian based team)?

So you've just given up on that?

I will never give up on that as long as I live until I have to because well, that happened and good for them.

I voted Nashville when the thread was started.

Now I want Tampa to come back and win it all, because it is the least offensive to me, but if either the Caps or Vegas want to sully that, it's ok with me, as long as it's not the Jets (and the Jets will probably win, they look unstoppable let's be honest here)

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Out of Washington and Tampa I want Washington to win. Overall though I think I am going with Winnipeg, but funny enough I almost find myself cheering when both them and the Golden Knights score, I think I'll be happy either way as long as Tampa doesn't end up in the finals which I believe they won't at this point. They sure seem to love them conference finals though.

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
I really like Winnipeg but for some reason I find myself rooting against Canada. I don’t really know why. We’ll see in the final if I still feel that way.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Some fans follow their team so religiously that cheering a rival is unfathomable. Even at international tournaments, cheering for one's country comes second to cheering for their NHL players/prospects.

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
I am rooting for Ovi to finally get himself a Cup...I could care less that Winnipeg is a Canada-based team. I invest in teams other than my own (Canadians) based on my like of the players and a 'good story', not geography.

Reactions: Arthuros and nobody

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Winnipeg has a team that only the local population care about, there is no illustrious history to have any sort of ties to them.

Knights, Caps/Bolts.

Anyone of those teams in the finals is best for business.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
I don't care for any other team except my own tbh. So... for entertainment value, my preference would be for Vegas or Washington to win the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad