Who is Canada rooting for?

Who are you rooting for?

• Total voters

A Loyal Dog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
I know a lot of you are thinking: Canada is cheering for Winnipeg since it's the last Canadian city in the playoffs, but that's complete bullshit IMO. Cheering for Winnipeg is like the US cheering for Alaska, nobody in Canada really cares about Winnipeg (other than people living there). It would be a shame if the first Canadian team in 20+ years to win the Cup is Winnipeg. All the other teams make sense, but Winnipeg? Hahaha no...

I hope Nashville smashes Winnipeg in Game 7. Go Subban!!!

Anyway, vote away.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I root for Winnipeg not because it,s a Canadian team and that i'm Canadian but because i love how their team is built and absolutely love the Winnipeg crowd (which is easily the best one remaining imho). Right before the playoffs i said i was rooting for the Jets and i still stand by it

Plus that city has endured watching their team getting relocalised to Phoenix which ended up being a financial failiure for the league (nothing against you Yotes fans but it's true). Now they got their team back and have a chance at their first cup. It would be a great story

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I know a lot of you are thinking: Canada is cheering for Winnipeg since it's the last Canadian city in the playoffs, but that's complete bull**** IMO. Cheering for Winnipeg is like the US cheering for Alaska, nobody in Canada really cares about Winnipeg (other than people living there). It would be a shame if the first Canadian team in 20+ years to win the Cup is Winnipeg. All the other teams make sense, but Winnipeg? Hahaha no...

I hope Nashville smashes Winnipeg in Game 7. Go Subban!!!

Anyway, vote away.

How would it be a shame exactly and how do all the other Canadian based teams "make sense" but not Winnipeg?

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Why doesn't Canada care about Winnipeg? Honest question. I'm not Canadian.

I dont think it's a Winnipeg specific thing. Just most intense Canadian hockey fans would rather see Thanos win the Cup than another Canadian team.

For me....

Nashville...

Washington

Tampa/Vegas

The aforementioned Thanos

Winnipeg

Last edited:

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Winnipeg all the way ...
followed by Washington .. Nashville and Vegas ... Tampa last ... going by no cups for the longest ( after the Canadian team! )

Reactions: Umbrella

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
It's tough for me between Winnipeg and Ovi. I voted Caps just because Ovi's window is closing and Jets should be a powerhouse for the next decade.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Why doesn't Canada care about Winnipeg? Honest question. I'm not Canadian.

I wouldn't say "Canada" (like the poster above noted - not a monolith) doesn't care about Winnipeg, but typically, Canadians have a favorite team and once they're out, a "good series" is about as invested as it gets, with only mild enthusiasm attached to teams that remain. Remember as well, it's arbitrary at this point, choosing a team to support once yours is out.

I'm a Leafs fan and with them out it's tough to get behind another team, though Vegas is a great story. For years, I've categorized myself as a Red Wings "fan" secondarily to the Leafs. And it's sincere. I like the Wings a lot. So, there's no Toronto, no Detroit...Winnipeg has Laine and Laine vs Matthews is kind of a rivalry unto itself. The Capitals are kind of a meh club to me and they ousted us last season, so, Washington isn't it for me either. Nashville...Good team, but, no emotional attachment. The Lightning, same thing really. Leaves Vegas, and even then, it's curiosity more than allegiance.

So as a Canadian do I care about Winnipeg getting into the conference Finals as something that represents my Canadian identity? Well, in the same vein, HNIC represents my Canadian identity to a degree, including the American clubs.From a national identity perspective, there's an element that inclines but that emerges in international competitions. I knew a lot of Canadians whose favorite clubs were Chicago and the Islanders (back in the 80s) and Minnesota and wore the sweaters during road hockey.

Certainly Canadians care. But it'll vary from Winnipeg and all points leading there.

What I think most Canadians can agree enthusiastically with in this year's playoffs is that Brad Marchand is no longer in them.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

Trunz05

Dec 2, 2010
Not gonna vote lol, OP is pretty silly, Canada is not a hive mind. That being said the last team I want to see win is Winnipge this year, silly as it sounds I believe most Canadian fans would agree if its not my team breaking the “Canadian cup drought” then I’d rather no Canadian team win it.

Honestly I want to see Ovi win the cup, and cement his legacy as the one if the best of his time (as if his legacy needs any more cement lol) other than that I’ve always had a soft spot for Nashville and Vegas is just too crazy of a story. TBH if the final ends up being lightning Jets i probably wont even watch.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm not Canadian, but it helped me to imagine the dynamics at play when I thought of Canadian teams as forming their own virtual division. I think of how fans would feel about another team in their actual division having success and imagine that it's sort of similar. You'll have a lot of people who don't, under any circumstances, want any of their division rivals to have more success than them, but you'll also have some oddballs who want to see their division represented or just really admire another team, even if it's a rival. I don't know how close I am with that, but that's how I've tried to relate in order to guess at what it's like to be Canadian at this time of year.

Last edited:

Senacus Maximus

Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
A Winnipeg - Washington final is what I want to see. With Washington winning because of how long they've been around with no cup + OV.

I'm also okay with Nashville making the finals.

I'd rather not see Vegas win in it's first year. Kudos to them so far though.

I don't want Tampa to win. I have nothing against them, i just want a team who has never won a cup before to take it home. Since they only have one cup, it would still be okay.

In regards to not wanting other Canadian teams to win: as long as it's not Montreal or Toronto, I would have no problem.

I expect that a lot of Canadians would feel the same about their divisional rivals not winning, but harbor no ill will for the teams in the other conference.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I want my Canucks to break Canada's Cup drought...so **** Winnipeg.

I really like Nashville's team. I also like Vegas, as it is a sports movie happening in real life. Would be happy to see either of those two win
Lol. You're going to be disappointed. Vancouver is literally the furthest team away from a cup. It's basically a guarantee some other Canadian team will win it first.

Canucks are one of the top 3 worst run organization in the league.

Also, are you 12?

Trunz05

Dec 2, 2010
Wow. I didn't realize all Canadian hockey fans were children. I thought this was isolated to Leafs fans. Lol

Seriously. Canada doesn't want any Canadian team to win the cup because it wouldn't be THEIR team? So most of Canada is rooting against Winnipeg? Wow.

Are you cheering for other teams in the avs division to win ? If not does that make you a child ? Grow up man. You don’t have to agree with everyone’s opinions to just move past them like everyone else.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I cheered for Calgary in 2004, Edmonton in 2006, Ottawa in 2007, and Vancouver in 2011 (more to do with them playing Boston, rather than them being a Canadian team as I'm a Habs fan). But now my thinking has completely changed. It's just been so long since a Canadian team won that I don't want any team other than the Habs to break that streak. I'm rooting for Nashville because of PK.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
jets. but it would be a more amazing story if vegas wins the cup so I chose them. Doubtful but still would be insane. In the East, the Caps because they've never won before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad