Who is Canada rooting for?

Who are you rooting for?

• Total voters

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
I think you have this backwards. Winnipeg doesn't garner nearly as much resentment throughout Canada as some of the other teams. While Canadian hockey fans (at the level of being on HFBoards) are usually compelled to cheer against other Canadian teams in a sibling rivalry sense, I don't think Winnipeg has worked up that same sense of rivalry as other Canadian teams.

For my part, Winnipeg is really the only Canadian team I'm okay cheering for and seeing do well in the playoffs other than my own.

Only Canadian team I wouldn't cheer for if the Jets were out are the leafs for obvious reasons.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Love the Jets. Not as much as I love my beloved Canucks, but about as much as I can love one of their opponents. Would be so happy for Winnipeg fans to finally make it to the finals, and then win a cup. Like Canucks fans, they've suffered through so much. We get each other.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Saw this dumbass **** on Twitter yesterday and almost chucked my computer out the window.

LOL, what's wrong with people claiming the Jets as "Canada's team"? I get they are the last Canadian team still playing but they are not our international hockey team. They don't represent Canada but Winnipeg only.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Not as mad as you should be since your organization is in shambles and need a rebuild from management to the stick boys hahaha.
Hahaha I don't care about the Montreal Canadien but I told you it because what you said about quebecers and your reaction is priceless so stay mad. :lol:

James Duthie

Kadri is 3 Hunna
May 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Tbh, Winnipeg doesn't really bother me in any manner, but I'm rooting for Ovi this year because that dude's deserving of a cup after 13 years of torture from Crosby.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
How so? He's 32; with his playing style he could player another decade.

The Caps and Ovi definitely could be here again but this just seems like their year, atleast in the East. When you consider how loaded the East looks for the next 5 years with teams like Tampa, Pitt, Toronto, Boston I think the competition is much harder than what the Jets have to get through moving forward.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Caps , then Jets. Caps so we can see OV winning the dam cup, Jets because its only fitting to see Winnipeg winning their first cup and bringing the cup back to Canada in style. They are on a collision course. The finals will be incredible this year !

Reactions: Calendal

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Just in my circle of friends, I don't know anyone who is rooting for Winnipeg. That's not to say they are rooting against them, but they have other prefences, such as wanting to see ovechkin win a cup.

I've been fully on board with the jets though.

Overall, it's really a mixed bag. Some people do consider the Canadian team aspect of this, but it's not a major consideration at least in my circle.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
Leafs fan here. Cheering for the jets, despite the inevitability of "Laine > Matthews" coming out of it especially if they win.

It's partly a Canadian thing, but mostly, I love how they're playing the game right now. They are playing a wonderful style of hockey.

Reactions: GoJetsGo55

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Oilers fan cheering for the Jets. A lot of Canadians just don't want them to win because they want their team to be the one to bring the cup back to Canada. As long as it's not Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary or Vancouver then I don't mind.

Reactions: Naturaledge

SavedByRoy

Bite the noose
Feb 17, 2006
Fort Myers
It's crazy how so many Canadian fans hate all the other Canadian teams. I would've thought 80%+ would be rooting for the Jets.

I'm American, and I want a Canadian team to win the Cup. If not this year, then next. I want Ovi to get a Cup too though.

I think it would be hilarious (and awesome) if one of the next few Finals was Jets-Leafs, for the NBC meltdown, the Leafs hate, and Laine-Matthews.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
It's crazy how so many Canadian fans hate all the other Canadian teams. I would've thought 80%+ would be rooting for the Jets.

I'm American, and I want a Canadian team to win the Cup. If not this year, then next. I want Ovi to get a Cup too though.

I think it would be hilarious (and awesome) if one of the next few Finals was Jets-Leafs, for the NBC meltdown, the Leafs hate, and Laine-Matthews.

The whole thing would look and sound like a WWE promo.....

Reactions: Devonator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad