Who is best F the Rangers have drafted since Alex Kovalev?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I don't

He's overrated as a gm

Not sure what the GM has to do with scouting draft eligible players. He just listens to his scouts, I guess they missed the boat when it came to watching forwards. Still got a pretty decent goalie and some defense.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Still find it amazing that no Glen Sather drafted forward has ever scored 60+ points for the Rangers.

Stepan would've, most likely, if he played 82 games in either of the last two seasons.

No love for Malhotra or Moore around here?

Stepan or Savard. Let's see what Duclair develops into.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Stepan would've, most likely, if he played 82 games in either of the last two seasons.

Yeah, Stepan would've done it easily, especially during the lockout season when he was almost a PPG player.

Stepan and hopefully Kreider will change that narrative this season.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle

I think Duclair has the potential to be the best wing(NYR drafted) since AK27

If you include C then Savard and Step

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Still find it amazing that no Glen Sather drafted forward has ever scored 60+ points for the Rangers.

Well some could say he did better. He signed Zooks (60 point guy) without wasting a draft pick to get him. In regards to drafting Stepan had 55 points in only 68 games so I would say that is pretty close. He also had 57 points in 82 game. Slats/Maloney/Clark/Gorton only used 5 first round picks on forwards over the years. One did not make the NHL (Jessimen), and sadly the one that would have been the best (Cherpy) passed away. Korpi (Maloney's pick) was always meant to be a defensive forward not a huge points guy. Kreider and JT seem like they will be very good top 6 forwards.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
these are the candidates:
Sundstrom, Marchant, Savard, York, Malhotra, D.Moore, Prucha, Callahan, Dubinsky, Korpikoski, Anisimov, Stepan, Kreider, Fast, Miller,

I'd say Savard, Stepan, Dubinsky,
and then a virtual tie among Cally, Miller, Anisimov, Sundstrom, Kreider
York just behind,
Moore, Manny, Marchant and Korpi have had long careers
Prucha had a few great seasons ...

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
1) Alexei Cherepanov (rip)
2) Callahan
3) Hollweg

edit - Forgot about Savard and Step. Just quickly ran through the list.

Answer is Savard.

What happened to Cherepanov was a tragedy but to put him over any player that played in the NHL is ridiculous, as is any list with Hollweg on it.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I've told this story a few times here: Kloucek's knee injury was totally preventable. That one is on Ron Low. He already had a sprain and they dressed him late in the season to end some streak against the Devils (this is when Guy Hebert was in goal) when they were completely out of it. During warmups he's having problems skating and within the first 15 min of the game I think it was, he tears his knee.

Back in those pre-Adrian Peterson and Evgeni Malkin days, you tear your knee (ACL) it's going to take at least a year to get back to normal. He was back in the lineup the next season (6 months later) and when he clearly wasn't 100% was shuffled back and forth between Hartford. He also got some bad concussions and shoulder issues both before and after the trade to Nashville. By the time he was in Atlanta, he wasn't an NHLer anymore.

Really sad and a tale of how not to develop.

As for forwards you gotta base this on three things:

Overall body of work: Savard
Longevity on the team: Cally (for now)
Someone who in theory should pass both is Stepan.

I don't think Stepan will ever have a single season like Savard but his overall boy of work will be pretty consistent.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
What happened to Cherepanov was a tragedy but to put him over any player that played in the NHL is ridiculous, as is any list with Hollweg on it.

Normally I would agree with you about most prospects before they made the NHL. Thre are exceptions. Everyone knew that Mario, Crosby and Conor McDavid would be great in the NHL before they played a single game. Here is the reason why I would give Cherp more of the benefit of the doubt than many prospects.

1. Jagr raved about him. The way Jagr spoke about him made me very optimistic.

2. At the time of his tragic death Cherpy was putting up around the same stats as Jagr on the same team against the same opponents. Cherp was doing that at age 19.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Times are so different.

Remember that the Rangers were kinda behind the times and in the stone ages up until at least 2003-04.

Scouting department is much larger now. Player development is important with Prospect Camp, Traverse City, and nutrition plans.

They have two organizational goalie coaches now, Alaire and the other dude who was just hired. Remember when Sam. St. Lawrent was just a consultant.

Even the video improved after Torts said they weren't using HD circa 2009.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
1992 to 1999 was an absolute scouting black hole for the Rangers.

90 picks basically mustered:

Mattias Norstrom
Todd Marchant
Niklas Sundstrom
Marc Savard
Manny Malholtra

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Ok so blame the president for the poor forward drafting. He hired the one who hired them right? That how it works?

If you delegate work to others and they continually screw up but you keep relying on them anyway, that is absolutely on you.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
If you delegate work to others and they continually screw up but you keep relying on them anyway, that is absolutely on you.

Ok, so we are blaming the man who hired Sather then?

Fact is, nobody knows anything about the scouting department for the team aside from some names. They are hired because they are suppose to know what they are doing. THEY get the blame when the keep recommending players who end up failing. But i know, its the cool thing to blame sather for everything.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
1992 to 1999 was an absolute scouting black hole for the Rangers.

90 picks basically mustered:

Mattias Norstrom
Todd Marchant
Niklas Sundstrom
Marc Savard
Manny Malholtra

Cherneski would have been on that list too if he didn't have the unfortunate injury. Mike York was a good player for a few years.

If Nostrom is on this list then so should Kim Johnsson (two S's I've learned my lesson), Thomas Kloucek, and Marek Zidlicky.

As we've talked about before, that's not a bad core to have. The development was off and trading away pieces like Knuble, and also Harvey/Dvorak (pick either one, both had injuries that derailed their careers) really hurt.

If they still had Leech and a few of the vets, plus some real coaching, they would've been fine.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Sure it looks gloomy when you look at some of the top forwards we have drafted.

Unfortunately, our most talented prospect in ages passed away and we never had the chance to see what his potential really was.

I would answer it this way. Our most talented prospect was Cherepanov. Our most talented forward was Savard.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Ok, so we are blaming the man who hired Sather then?

Fact is, nobody knows anything about the scouting department for the team aside from some names. They are hired because they are suppose to know what they are doing. THEY get the blame when the keep recommending players who end up failing. But i know, its the cool thing to blame sather for everything.
I certainly don't think Sather should be blamed for everything, and I'm not even certain that the drafting over his time with the Rangers needs someone to blame, but I can't wrap my head around an executive not being responsible for the actions of those who report to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad