Speculation: Who is a must go and who is a must keep?

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Which would still be a year and a half realistically, but I digress cause I'm not gonna go fish out the numbers.

I'm probably coming off as a Johnny hater, but I'm the furthest thing from it. Hell, I own a couple of his sweaters. The fact is we don't have the ability to surround him with the kind of players he needs to accel in the tough games.

So, instead, we are going to fill the gaps with more plugs until he is a UFA and walks for free.

It's incredibly frustrating to know that we have our core locked up with sweetheart deals and we are still unable to get them the help they need because we are out of cap room.

I tend to look at the forest, instead of the tree, and from where I stand, there is a lot of teams getting a lot better in the Western Conference, teams that we will not be able to compete with....Vancouver, Colorado, Oilers, etc....so what's the point in hanging around the "middle" if the only chance we have at a decent playoff run is "catching lightning in a bottle"?

The Flames find themselves in the same spot as they have for the last 20 years, not good enough to win it all and not bad enough to get something great in the draft. Well, we did get that 4th OA pick that one time, and managed to get a 4th line grinder out of it!! But hey, in the playoffs he's great!! I love how there are people that praise his performance in the playoffs!! What about the rest of the year?? What about playing with that same intensity and not taking 250 stupid O-ZOne penalties a year??

But that's a rant for another time......

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but how do we get those pieces to "compliment" Johnny? We have no cap room for the pieces required. We need a #1C, we've needed a #1C since, well, forever! But those come at a cost. Sean isn't that guy and Sean doesn't get you that guy unless you package him up with picks and one of the young D's.

I've been a huge Johnny fan since the day he donned the Flaming C, but we have seen on several occasions that this core cannot get it done when it matters most. It's like going back in time and watching Iggy's talents get wasted because they would never give him a true #1C. We have been, are, and will continue to be a middling team unless major changes are made.

I'm all for another coach, but we are quickly becoming as bad as our neighbors to the North. We keep rolling through coaches with the same result.

As I said, we are the Flames of old....."let's give them one more year"! Except the big difference is that Johnny isn't going to stick around out of a sense of honor, he's going to bolt to a better team in the East. And how could you blame him? I'd do the same thing.

I'm not talking about adding huge pieces, though. I'm talking about getting the pieces that are here to maximize their effectiveness. Adding players is just a bonus. I have never been one to believe that all changes to how a team plays come down to changes in personnel.

We're bad with coaches because we are very intentionally bargain shopping. If we're buying scratch tickets to get rich with coaching, then yeah, we're going to have to go through a lot of scratch tickets before getting lucky.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
And how many since the All Star break in 2018?

Or are you going to claim that we are seeing the same Johnny as we did from early 2018?

When Iggy wasn't scoring, he brought other aspects to the game.....like actually back checking, hitting, fighting....you know hockey stuff.

What does Iggy have to with Gaudreau? Do you really think believe that if Johnny starting to hit and check, that is going to make him better at hockey? Gaudreau is not a power forward, he’s not a Sam Bennett or Tkachuk and honestly the only players today that really do that well are Brady Tkachuk and Tom Wilson. Gaudreau needs to focus on being Gaudreau and playing a skilled game. If the Flames were smart they would keep him happy and surround him with better players. I really think playing him with Bennett and Tkachuk is the best option for next season.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
What does Iggy have to with Gaudreau? Do you really think believe that if Johnny starting to hit and check, that is going to make him better at hockey? Gaudreau is not a power forward, he’s not a Sam Bennett or Tkachuk and honestly the only players today that really do that well are Brady Tkachuk and Tom Wilson. Gaudreau needs to focus on being Gaudreau and playing a skilled game. If the Flames were smart they would keep him happy and surround him with better players. I really think playing him with Bennett and Tkachuk is the best option for next season.

Flames Fanatic brought up Iggy, not me.

You're putting words in my mouth that I never said.

Of course, Johnny isn't going to play a power forward game!

But would it kill him to go into the corners once a year?

And, yes, you're right Johnny does need to focus on being Johnny. He needs to get back to doing something other than entering the O-zone and either making his ridiculous back pass or dump it to the end boards because he's afraid of taking any kind of contact.

The problem remains, we need to surround Johnny with players that will make him effective. But the only person that will get that kind of player is Johnny. So, we are stuck with what we have, and what we have doesn't work.

Also, you really think Bennett is our #1C? Come on.....it's been what, 5 years? He is who he is. A middling to lower caliber player that occasionally goes on a hot streak for a game or two. And for whatever reason decides he's going to play hockey once the playoffs come around....up until then he seems very disinterested in the actual game. Which should have everyone ready to ship him the f*** outta town, not praising his virtues!!

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I'm not talking about adding huge pieces, though. I'm talking about getting the pieces that are here to maximize their effectiveness. Adding players is just a bonus. I have never been one to believe that all changes to how a team plays come down to changes in personnel.

We're bad with coaches because we are very intentionally bargain shopping. If we're buying scratch tickets to get rich with coaching, then yeah, we're going to have to go through a lot of scratch tickets before getting lucky.

Come on.....you sound like an Oiler's fan. "It's the coach! We need a new coach"! After a while, you need to start looking at the players who seem incapable of getting up for any kind of big game. We've had all sorts of coaches. Player coaches, hard-ass coaches, X and O's coaches. The only ones that have had any real success are the hard-ass ones. They play the way the coach want's for a while, but always give up on him in the end because it's just too hard.

You talk about scratch tickets.....well, maybe the coaches have been, but so are a lot of our players. Sam Bennett, scratch ticket player....one day he's a $1000 payout, the next a dud. Sean Monohan, scratch ticket player.....pretending to be a #1C, but only get's his points if Johnny is rolling. The list goes on and on. There is little to no consistency to any of our players. Gio, the current Norris holder, played some of his worst hockey in a decade. Why can't we have an identity? We aren't a fast team, we aren't a young team, we aren't a skilled team, we aren't a heavy team, we aren't a hard-working team......we are a scratch ticket team. It's always a mystery what we're going to get from game to game. EDIT: The most annoying thing about this team is that they can play all of those games when they want. But they have zero fortitude to play the hard game on a regular basis. Imagine for a second if they had the work ethic of the NYI's, or the Canucks, or the Av's.....or several other teams. But no, they got it into their heads they are an elite skilled team that can play a perimeter game with fancy passing and one timers.

How do you think a new coach is going to magically turn all these guys into who they need to be? Do you think they are all just diamonds in the rough waiting for a coach to unveil their greatness? We've been waiting for that for years, and have gone through several coaches.....still nada.

The thing is, I don't even have to make the argument, this team does it for me....they have not been able to make it to the playoffs, or out of the first round, since, well, forever.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Come on.....you sound like an Oiler's fan. "It's the coach! We need a new coach"! After a while, you need to start looking at the players who seem incapable of getting up for any kind of big game.
You are either forgetting about or omitting our actual biggest game of the entire year here.

The way this team played in Game 6 is a pretty clear indication that the players have every ability to be a good team. I'm repeating myself, but the Flames don't need to have a higher max level. They just need to figure out how to make it the norm. When teams win the Stanley Cup, it isn't usually because they made roster moves which dramatically improved them from the year before. It's more often because the team came together, figured out how to be a good team and then sustained it.

I've also allowed that Ward could be the guy (he hasn't had a full training camp yet), but I think there are safer bets.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
You are either forgetting about or omitting our actual biggest game of the entire year here.

The way this team played in Game 6 is a pretty clear indication that the players have every ability to be a good team. I'm repeating myself, but the Flames don't need to have a higher max level. They just need to figure out how to make it the norm. When teams win the Stanley Cup, it isn't usually because they made roster moves which dramatically improved them from the year before. It's more often because the team came together, figured out how to be a good team and then sustained it.

I've also allowed that Ward could be the guy (he hasn't had a full training camp yet), but I think there are safer bets.

What?? The way they played in Game 6?? The game where they got up by three in the first 7 minutes and then allowed 7 unanswered goals?? That team? Angle, brother, what are you smoking???

The worst part of that game was that you knew they were going to blow it. That's what they do. They find ways to lose games instead of winning them. This isn't a recent development. They play hard for about 20 games a year. The rest of the time they can't be bothered to put in the effort. Then when the playoffs come around, other teams ramp up their games, while the Flames come in playing like it's January.

Again, I don't disagree with you, they have the ability to play well at times.

But aren't you tired of waiting for these guys to get it together?

How many years have we been saying that? They played really good for ten games!! They just have to keep it up!! But they don't, they never do. They fade when the going get's tough, and I don't care what you say about that, the proof is in the pudding. They lay eggs in big games.

When was the last time you felt confident in them winning a game, any game? Against the Coyotes or the Bruins? The Oilers? I know the answer for me, never. When they win, it's great, but I can't remember the last time I expected a win from this team. As I said, you never know what team is going to show up. Maybe that's on the coach? But to me, effort is dictated by the player. If you need a coach to get you up for a game in the NHL, you need to find another profession.

This team, as constructed, doesn't win when it matters. So, instead of hoping things will change, as we have for a decade or more, why not actually do something about it?

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What?? The way they played in Game 6?? The game where they got up by three in the first 7 minutes and then allowed 7 unanswered goals?? That team? Angle, brother, what are you smoking???

The worst part of that game was that you knew they were going to blow it. That's what they do. They find ways to lose games instead of winning them. This isn't a recent development. They play hard for about 20 games a year. The rest of the time they can't be bothered to put in the effort. Then when the playoffs come around, other teams ramp up their games, while the Flames come in playing like it's January.

How many years have we been saying that? They played really good for ten games!! They just have to keep it up!! But they don't, they never do. They fade when the going get's tough, and I don't care what you say about that, the proof is in the pudding. They lay eggs in big games.

When was the last time you felt confident in them winning a game, any game? Against the Coyotes or the Bruins? The Oilers? I know the answer for me, never. When they win, it's great, but I can't remember the last time I expected a win from this team. As I said, you never know what team is going to show up. Maybe that's on the coach? But to me, effort is dictated by the player. If you need a coach to get you up for a game in the NHL, you need to find another profession.

This team, as constructed, doesn't win when it matters. So, instead of hoping things will change, as we have for a decade or more, why not actually do something about it?

I'm not going to stoop to the common "did you watch the game" level, but forming your narrative of what happened in the game based purely on the score is very short sighted. The skaters did not get outplayed for any stretch of the game, really. Our goalie literally allowed 7 consecutive goals that should not have beaten an NHL goalie.

In terms of how the team played outside of goaltending, we couldn't really ask for better. They were flat out dominant, and kept on generating the better chances even after multiple back-breaking goals, and even after the Stars were able to go into their defensive shell. The Stars didn't really have a hope of winning that game unless our goalies started playing dodgeball. The fact that they did shouldn't have any bearing on what the core guys did in that game, which is what our conversation was about. The biggest game of the season, and they played a fantastic game.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I'm probably coming off as a Johnny hater, but I'm the furthest thing from it. Hell, I own a couple of his sweaters. The fact is we don't have the ability to surround him with the kind of players he needs to accel in the tough games.

So, instead, we are going to fill the gaps with more plugs until he is a UFA and walks for free.

It's incredibly frustrating to know that we have our core locked up with sweetheart deals and we are still unable to get them the help they need because we are out of cap room.

I tend to look at the forest, instead of the tree, and from where I stand, there is a lot of teams getting a lot better in the Western Conference, teams that we will not be able to compete with....Vancouver, Colorado, Oilers, etc....so what's the point in hanging around the "middle" if the only chance we have at a decent playoff run is "catching lightning in a bottle"?

The Flames find themselves in the same spot as they have for the last 20 years, not good enough to win it all and not bad enough to get something great in the draft. Well, we did get that 4th OA pick that one time, and managed to get a 4th line grinder out of it!! But hey, in the playoffs he's great!! I love how there are people that praise his performance in the playoffs!! What about the rest of the year?? What about playing with that same intensity and not taking 250 stupid O-ZOne penalties a year??

But that's a rant for another time......

Great points there and a very wow, but real look at the Flames reality.
Who should go? What are the needs?
Need(s): - solidify Goalie/ net -either stand behind Rittich and pump him up and play through adversity, or shop for a #1 . Need a solid back-up/ 1'B' for sure.
( maybe go in on Jakob Markstrom, UFA)
- r.h.s. Dmen!! A couple warm bodies who can tread water in the NHL, minmum. At least top young one or a proven top4 r.h. shooter back there (better than Michael Stone, please!)
- a new top #1 C, to have Money and Backs as #2/3, depending on opponent, game situation as per more shut-down or more attack, offense, etc. Or get best offer for him - (Wpg might open a youthful vault to land Money for a 2C?)
- fix or accentuate the "Johnny Hockey" conundrum. That is, find a couple new/ more in-your-dogged checking-puck finishing line-mates. Or, the dreaded trade him before decline in value in "desperation to get something before walks to FA?" Or decline in his output, effectiveness dull, dwindle.
- time to inject the younger "pushers" into the core and find roles for them, valued and committed to by coaches in ice time, this coming season. That being: E Lindy,
A Mangiapane, D Dube, S Bennett, R Andersson, N Hanifin, O Kylington&/Or J Valamaki, D Rittich?
Even some new coming up "blood" prospects may push to deserve valid spots! GG,ME-P, A Ruz', JP, ET,
DZ, MP×2, DW(G).
Up Mangy new contract and give Sam Bennett a true role for regular season and ( maybe an 'A' on his chest?)
- employ a more aggressive forecheck, clog up middle/ center ice, attack in waves approach system(s). We don't have the horses who drive offensive play on the backend as much anymore, so play a forward carries play in zone and others drive for openings or dump and attack chase in a layers.
Need a playmaker, driver on each line if our D are not capable activated puck-carriers, (example is Noah Hanifin is more effective when he finds the safe outlet pass or dump up & out, maybe his junior hype and rookie season in Car he showed rushing skills but his game last couple years is not up to par of opponents forecheckers and center ice clogging systems to not lose pucks and give it away with nobody back to defend, one example).
JM suggestions?
Yes, play Johnny with harder-nosed players who attack and get in opponents way, faces, finish checks. Johnny's wizardry can come to forefront again in dragging defenders out of lanes, zones, position chasing him around with the puck on a string. This can happen more effectively with teammates who get in the hard areas, free up pucks for Johnny and rake opponentsoff their game!
Could be a great line if Benny can become a quality Center again. Could make moving Money out for new blood, future quality players! Have Backs and D Ryan (1 more year on contract) for experienced, decent face-off positional centers, and Dillon Dube IS ready to give full try at Center. Also, Lindy has been/ can play Center, too!
Lots of "to do's" this strange off-season for Tre. Will he help satisfy this fan-base's opinions and desired suggestions, to help the team move forward to higher steps? Wait to see. Meanwhile we can keep scheming up possible trade targets, changes to formulate improvement.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I'm not going to stoop to the common "did you watch the game" level, but forming your narrative of what happened in the game based purely on the score is very short sighted. The skaters did not get outplayed for any stretch of the game, really. Our goalie literally allowed 7 consecutive goals that should not have beaten an NHL goalie.

In terms of how the team played outside of goaltending, we couldn't really ask for better. They were flat out dominant, and kept on generating the better chances even after multiple back-breaking goals, and even after the Stars were able to go into their defensive shell. The Stars didn't really have a hope of winning that game unless our goalies started playing dodgeball. The fact that they did shouldn't have any bearing on what the core guys did in that game, which is what our conversation was about. The biggest game of the season, and they played a fantastic game.

Those points of "what happened that game" reiterate the facts, narrative, this roster needs some more "fight&bite" where it counts! Combo of a true rushing Dman with some real backend grit and nasty around our net, a new or better option Center with Johnny and a head-bopping/game-offing compliment winger, solidify Goaltending and stick with it through a few down stretches, boost confidence and morale from behind the bench all the time and clobber opponents goalie and/or star players a little more often, regularly, night-in/ night-out. FEAR the FLAMES again or you're gonna get Burned! This roster, version put a strangle-hold on the Jets for most shifts of most games. Only to be intimidated and over-run by the Stars. Up-and-down pretty easily!
Not a winning standard to have, especially when happening for too long and complacency becomes the "accepted/expected".
I don't think we are truly that far off, but then some key need fills and acquisitions, possible move-outs have yo happen or...down the similar jagged but destined path.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

How many years have we been saying that? They played really good for ten games!! They just have to keep it up!! But they don't, they never do. They 're 8when the going get's tough, and I don't care what you say about that, the proof is in the pudding. They lay eggs in big games.

Here, here! Tre & company better recognize the "blatant to us" needs this off-season and address most of them, player wise. Internal engine of mind-set and the "lavida-loca" feeling needs to be changed, incorporated at TC and followed through with into season start and on! None of this toe-the-line, early in season no worries, long season to go, no problem we can turn it around attitude, make the playoffs and "anything can happen" mantra. We have been suffocated with this ( varied renditions granted) type of approach for too long.
Fire & Flames shooting brightly, higher should be the bar set, working as a team to attain this from day 1 new season. Whether we consistently win all the time is not the most important at first. It is changing the culture to achieve the higher bar, step each new game, new stretch in the long journey to Playoffs and beyond-sipping from old Stanley downtown next late spring/ early summer.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Flames Fanatic brought up Iggy, not me.

You're putting words in my mouth that I never said.

Of course, Johnny isn't going to play a power forward game!

But would it kill him to go into the corners once a year?

And, yes, you're right Johnny does need to focus on being Johnny. He needs to get back to doing something other than entering the O-zone and either making his ridiculous back pass or dump it to the end boards because he's afraid of taking any kind of contact.

The problem remains, we need to surround Johnny with players that will make him effective. But the only person that will get that kind of player is Johnny. So, we are stuck with what we have, and what we have doesn't work.

Also, you really think Bennett is our #1C? Come on.....it's been what, 5 years? He is who he is. A middling to lower caliber player that occasionally goes on a hot streak for a game or two. And for whatever reason decides he's going to play hockey once the playoffs come around....up until then he seems very disinterested in the actual game. Which should have everyone ready to ship him the f*** outta town, not praising his virtues!!

Bennett's time as waiting for a #1 C is well up and not going to happen, unless it is accepted that he cannot drive the play offensively with skill, he will never pot 40 + goals for you at Center ( or any position likely).
A goal-scoring, finisher who punishes opponents when appropriate and can skate to open areas, read where they might be and get their for Johnny to feed him the puck, or Benny, and knows his defensive role when appropriate RW is needed badly.
JHG(L)-SB(C)-MTk(R) could work handily and dandily if Benny accelerates in the f/o circle, and Tko-truck can finish from the outside edges of f/o circle and crash the net for tips, rebounds. Would still likely need a better finisher with Johnny, for Benny at Center, on the other wing.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box

Angle, I wish I had your outlook on this team, but those days are gone.

Two playoffs ago it was "they played great, goaltending let them down", keep the core together. Last playoff it was "the goaltending kept it from being a complete shit show, the players got run over by a single player on the Av's", let's wait and see what if the core can repeat last year's regular season. This playoff, "well, it's a mixture of both, some games the goaltending was great, some games the team played well. Not good enough to win, but you know, they might have", stay the course, it's bound to come together at some point.

It's the same year after year.......it's always something.

I'm sick of cancellation prizes. Shit or get off the pot........at some point major changes have to take place. Do you really, in your most honest moments with yourself, think this team has what it takes to win a Cup? If the answer is no, then why bother? Just hope the stars align like 2004?

Since that miracle run, we have missed the playoffs 7 times, gone out in the first round 7 times, and made it to the second round once.

Why not actually try and build a competitive team instead of trying to patch together this, Christ, I can't even call them a mediocre, shitty team.

Start the rebuild/re-tool now and we may have a decent team by the time we move into the new building. Even then, who do we build around? Chucky? He's a really good player, but is he the guy to lead the Flames to the promised land?

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I think the Flames can get away with a 1-2 year 'retool' given their current roster and depth chart. Clearly the current core doesn't have what it takes, but there is a version of this core that, given some key high and low end additions, can be a VERY different team.

I don't want to name players I think are a 'must go' in the OP and derail discussion, but I think at the very least the list of 'can go' players is as follow (in no way am I saying that ALL these guys have to go, and only including guys who are mainstays):
  • Johnny Gaudreau
  • Sean Monahan
  • T.J. Brodie
  • Mark Giordano
  • Mark Jankowski
  • Travis Hamonic

Guys who 'can go' but also 'can stay':
  • Mikael Backlund
  • Elias Lindholm
  • Noah Hanifin
  • Derek Ryan
Guys who should be a part of our new (but incomplete) core:
  • Matt Tkachuk
  • Rasmus Andersson
  • Andrew Mangiapane
  • Sam Bennett
  • Dillon Dube
  • Oliver Kylington
  • Juuso Valimaki

I think given some smart trades with the guys in the 'can go' category (play maybe a T. Hall signing), we can be back with a rejuvinated core in 1-2 years. Give Chucky the C (Gio should do this on his own anyways), put some trust in Bennett as a C, develop the younger guys and see what Johnny/Monny/Gio/Brodie/the second category can land you.

Not touching goalies in this one lmao.

I like your groupings there overall. I am on the fence even suggesting Gio could be "offered up" mostly due to mgt fondness, protecting of him when he has _hit-the-bed, franchise loyalty to a warrior. I would be interested what we could be after and what we might get for him, at this stage? Definite decline season but...
Also, for Goaltending, my one thought is go after Jakob Markstrom? UFA, losing the net to young Demko likely in Vcr, next contract $$$ ask tho?
He is a solid goalie used to a soft and iffy defense at times, use to having to scramble in his crease and around for periods of a game , at times. He is young enough to give a long-term deal to and with proper defending around, defensive team structure in front of him, could be relied upon steadily to do his part in being successful. My biggest fear would be if he wants north of $5 mil , 2-fold: 1),We likely cannot afford that cap hit next year or 2, and 2) he reverts yo a scrambling, uncontrolled rebound goalie in which our defense cannot make up for,and then being stuck with a glutten contract on a last defender critical position you have no success with?
Money should be shopped, outright contacting from Tre on what the other team would offer. No hidden references or not really looking to move him but some interesting offers mind be out there?
Let his camp know he is being "shopped". Have some input if interested. But keep cordial to explaining team need and that there is alot of interest in your client! Have a good conversation with Money on his thoughts, goals , etc. Bringing up the team need for him to step up and raise his compete and output levels next year. We need "more" with a positive slight. Show a little 'Brian Burke -jerk" if you have to!
Grow some Great Balls of Fire as leaders of the Flames! With regards to Monahan, there 2 teams for sure looking hard for a prime age 2C, both in the Central division, Minny & Winnie! Call them both Tre and barter the price up between them, against each other to what return you let them both determine against each other. Then you jump at the most appealing, if it fits plans, budget, purpose and team.
I could see some potential decent returns from either!
Regards to Johnny, I would be talking mostly to Philly-Pitt-NJD, maybe NYR & NYI. See if one of his near hometown, or hometown team can dazzle you with an appealing offer, that cannot bight you in the butt in having to play against his new team, him regularly.
R.H.S. Dmen, plural needed so...do we trade for or look too FA?
Interesting to see how much change in players actually comes about? Can't wait for some for sure!

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
What a difference two weeks in a bubble can make. Gaudreau is now expendable and Bennett is a must-keep. I hope the smoke settles on this team and Treliving sees past the knee-jerk reactions.

I think Gaudreau is a capable player and will continue to develop. Playoff success is the hardest thing to achieve at the NHL level, and I hope he finds it here. He has an amazing contract and is the most skilled and fast player on the team by a pretty significant margin. Coaching and experience should take him to the next level.

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Time in the bubble didn't change that. No point in selling low there. If he's able to continue the play during regular season, great - a quasi free asset. If he's not, then he's not.
Really depends on his asking price. If he wants a very moderate raise, sure keep him, but he's already priced at the upper end of his value. His playoff performance doesn't erase his struggles during the regular season. I'm in the camp that is under the assumption that 90% of Bennett's playoff shifts would've sent him directly to the box in the regular season

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
No one is must-go but I wouldn't not be shopping Monahan and Hanifin. Purely due to age I'd be open to trades involving Giordano, Ryan and Backlund as well. I hope we re-sign Brodie.

Must Keep:

Sam Bennett
Johnny Gaudreau
Matthew Tkachuk
Rasmus Andersson
Elias Lindholm
Oliver Kylington
Dillon Dube
Andrew Mangiapane
Juuso Valimaki

Keep these nine guys, they're a championship core waiting to happen.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No one is must-go but I wouldn't not be shopping Monahan and Hanifin. Purely due to age I'd be open to trades involving Giordano, Ryan and Backlund as well. I hope we re-sign Brodie.

Must Keep:

Sam Bennett
Johnny Gaudreau
Matthew Tkachuk
Rasmus Andersson
Elias Lindholm
Oliver Kylington
Dillon Dube
Andrew Mangiapane
Juuso Valimaki

Keep these nine guys, they're a championship core waiting to happen.

I’m in agreement with Monahan and Hanifin, I think they’re the most likely to go. I don’t think Gio is going anywhere. It’s just not the Flames style, unless he asks for a trade, he’s gonna retire a Flame.

I feel in a lot of ways, the Flames view Backlund as their best forward overall. Ryan is an excellent bottom 6 player. Backs and Ryan have lots of value to the Flames, I think if you deal them, it’s likely for futures or lateral pieces coming back, likely making you a worse team. So I would be surprised to see any of those 3 are leave.

I’m actually gonna say I think Mangiapane could be moved. Many will disagree with me, but let’s go back to Ferland. No one wanted him dealt, but he was used as a key piece to get Lindholm and Hanifin. So let’s Monahan is a key piece to get an upgrade and the Flames need to kick in something else, I think Mangi goes because of the depth we have on the LW. That and because he’s young and is really trending upwards (much like how Ferland was), I think he holds quite a bit of value in a deal and I also wonder if Treliving is worried about extending him in terms of dollars and cap.

As an example if the Flames want Laine and the Jets want Monahan plus, I could Mangiapane added to a deal like that.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Backs is a beauty. I would not complain if he retired a Flame.

I just think that between his age and the expansion draft, they have some tough decisions to make.

For sure, I’m not even saying they should or shouldn’t move him, I just think Chris Snow secretly wishes he was married to Backlund. In other news, @InfinityIggy is Chris Snow.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Reading on Calgarypuck that Gaudreau is expendable if we manage to sign Tyler Toffoli. Please burn that awful site to the ground

Gotta keep Mony though because we can't replace our "best center since Niewendyk". Just like how the Oilers should never even consider moving Klefbom because he's their best D man since Pronger.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad