Speculation: Who has got to go TDL

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Hi fellow Oiler fans,

To my mind the following players have got to go by the TDL.

Rieder (no goals, but can skate and is good enough on the PK) = slight positive value

Manning (barely an NHL defenseman) = negative value, might be sold as insurance for the playoffs

Spooner (cap dump at this point, but actually has NHL skill) = close to negative value

Benning (RHD, 6-7) = slight positive value

Kassian (disappears but when he brings it, he brings it. Can skate.) = slight positive value

Petrovik (ok bottom pairing) = slight positive value

Talbot (was once a Vezina candidate, has since lost his starting job to Koskinen) = slight positive value

What do you guys realistically think we can get for these players?

To my mind any and all of these guys can be easily replaced internally.

Do we deal Chaisson as well? PTO and a career year.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
I would keep.

Mcdavid
Leon
Nuge
Nurse
Klefbom
Larsson
Jones
Bouchard
Yamamoto
Benson
Jesse P
JJ Khaira

All others I would happily jettison them out of town and start the rebuild, I would explore moving anyone not on the list.

Having said that I would definitely move the 1st pick this year to obtaian a young nhl player to play in top 6

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I would keep.

Mcdavid
Leon
Nuge
Nurse
Klefbom
Larsson
Jones
Bouchard
Yamamoto
Benson
Jesse P
JJ Khaira

All others I would happily jettison them out of town and start the rebuild, I would explore moving anyone not on the list

The bolded are keepers?

For the right deal you move assets like this.

For me the only real keepers are the first 5 in your list. Anything after that is expendable. Larsson, given lukewarm performance this year and last isn't even playing like a solid core D. Jones, Bouchard simply prospects.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
The bolded are keepers?

For the right deal you move assets like this.

For me the only real keepers are the first 5 in your list. Anything after that is expendable. Larsson, given lukewarm performance this year and last isn't even playing like a solid core D. Jones, Bouchard simply prospects.

I agree, for the right deal Id move them. If I trusted the GM, for the right deal Id move anyone not named Mcdavid. Its a the top of the list where if you moved them, you could really hit a home run.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Rieder (Yes, not a fit here and a guy that seems to need a change of scenery)

Manning (Yes, but that 2nd year could make things tricky, IMO we likely keep him)

Spooner (Yes but he has negative value, likely will be keeping him and buying him out unless we trade him for another bad contract)

Benning (Yes, bring up Bear in his place the rest of the season, saves some cap space)

Kassian (No, he brings a lot of what we need and while overpaid, his added toughness brings added value especially if we are able to offload Lucic somehow)

Petrovic (He might be a decent partner for Jones but I wouldn't be opposed to offload him either)

Talbot (Yes, but we need a back-up in case Starrett isn't ready)

Values:

Rieder 3rd/4th rounder

Manning 4th/5th

Spooner Negative value

Benning 3rd or a late 2nd from a contending team with an injury

Kassian 2nd or a solid prospect from a contending team lacking toughness

Petrovic 3rd/4th

Talbot 3rd + a prospect or back-up goalie

Chiasson if he gets going again, a 3rd and a B prospect or if we are really lucky a late 2nd. If he'd sign for 2 years around $1.25-$1.5 million I'd go for that first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shathar

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Manning (Yes, but that 2nd year could make things tricky, IMO we likely keep him)

Spooner (Yes but he has negative value, likely will be keeping him and buying him out unless we trade him for another bad contract)

Benning (Yes, bring up Bear in his place the rest of the season, saves some cap space)

Kassian (No, he brings a lot of what we need and while overpaid, his added toughness brings added value especially if we are able to offload Lucic somehow)

Petrovic (He might be a decent partner for Jones but I wouldn't be opposed to offload him either)

Values:

In every scenario the end result shouldn't be bringing up a rookie from the AHL to fill the void. Bear, Jones, Marody, KY, JP, Benson should only be here if they deserve it. Having them play 5-10 minutes a night is going to do no one any good.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hi fellow Oiler fans,

Rieder (no goals, but can skate and is good enough on the PK) = slight positive value

Manning (barely an NHL defenseman) = negative value, might be sold as insurance for the playoffs

Spooner (cap dump at this point, but actually has NHL skill) = close to negative value

Kassian (disappears but when he brings it, he brings it. Can skate.) = slight positive value

Talbot (was once a Vezina candidate, has since lost his starting job to Koskinen) = slight positive value

I don't see many of these guys bringing much value. Chiasson oddly enough probably brings the most. We will still need warm bodies after the deadline, but if they can move guys like Manning and Spooner that really have never served a purpose here and have a contract for next year then I'd start there.

Reactions: TFHockey

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
In every scenario the end result shouldn't be bringing up a rookie from the AHL to fill the void. Bear, Jones, Marody, KY, JP, Benson should only be here if they deserve it. Having them play 5-10 minutes a night is going to do no one any good.

Playing 20 games down the stretch isn't going to kill them.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Playing 20 games down the stretch isn't going to kill them.
Lol, Jones played how many games and started falling apart?

KY and JP have already looked lost as well and shouldn't be counted on being here for much longer.

20 games is a lot for a rookie, no reason to continue doing what PC was already doing to our prospects

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Viable call-ups IMO:

Bear and Jones on D.

Marody, Russell, Gambardella and Malone up front.

Starrett in goal for a few games to see how he does at this level.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Viable call-ups IMO:

Bear and Jones on D.

Marody, Russell, Gambardella and Malone up front.

Starrett in goal for a few games to see how he does at this level.
I'm fine up front with those callups as I don't really see 3 of them ever being NHLers anyway. The D-men however are scary. Jones and Bear are future pieces to our defense, they need to only play if they prove they can hack it.

Now maybe with Klef coming back it makes it easier. Regardless there should be a plan other than Jones and Bear, and maybe it's Lowe and Stanton

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Lol, Jones played how many games and started falling apart?

KY and JP have already looked lost as well and shouldn't be counted on being here for much longer.

20 games is a lot for a rookie, no reason to continue doing what PC was already doing to our prospects

Well, if you don't want to put your prized rookies in a position to fail, call up guys like Malone, Russell, Gambardella, Lowe and Montoya.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I'm fine up front with those callups as I don't really see 3 of them ever being NHLers anyway. The D-men however are scary. Jones and Bear are future pieces to our defense, they need to only play if they prove they can hack it.

Do you really think playing a few NHL games will somehow damage these guys beyond repair?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Do you really think playing a few NHL games will somehow damage these guys beyond repair?
A few games no it won't. 20 yes, we don't need that.

People complained about rushing prospects, yet here we are trying to do the exact same thing that PC was doing? I don't get it.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

People complained about rushing prospects, yet here we are trying to do the exact same thing that PC was doing? I don't get it.

Playing a handful of games down the stretch is different from expecting them to play big roles for a full season.

Take Jones for example: assuming Kelf comes back healthy and Sekera rejoins the team, you can play him in limited minutes in the bottom pair, not top pairing like he did when he was up.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Take your normal return that other teams get for trading away their players at the deadline and add +2 rounds. We call this the "Oilers Rule". So Kassian for a 3rd, applying the "Oilers Rule" would be Kassian for a 5th

Reactions: onetweasy

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
If making the playoffs is still the mandate, I’m skeptical they move Talbot unless they are out of it by TDD...which is entirely possible.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Might be an unpopular opinion but I would hang on to googley-eyes Kass. If we get this thing turned in the right direction, I think he would be an awesome guy to have around. And playoff Kassian is funny.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Might be an unpopular opinion but I would hang on to googley-eyes Kass. If we get this thing turned in the right direction, I think he would be an awesome guy to have around. And playoff Kassian is funny.

He is a 4th line winger making just under $2 Million per. I like Kassian a lot but we can't afford him at that price. If a playoff team is willing to give up a pick or a prospect for him we have to say yes.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

I don't advocate playing our 20 year old prospects in the NHL down the stretch. I think we can allow our 25+ year old players a shot. Brad Malone, Ryan Stanton, Starrett, all should get some playing time with the top club and the cost a fraction of what the guys moving out cost. This all assumes we are out of the play off run by the TDL.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hi fellow Oiler fans,

Those are likely the guys that will be on the table, and rightly so.

The guys that I believe will be gone for sure, are Chiasson, Petrovic, Talbot and Reider. Doubtful we can dupe someone into taking Spooner or Manning off of our hands, given they have been near useless and have another year of substantial cap attached to them. I doubt Benning moves. Seems to be an organizational darling that is given lots of rope. Better than the other 2 slugs Chia brought in this season, but that's not saying much.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
If making the playoffs is still the mandate, I’m skeptical they move Talbot unless they are out of it by TDD...which is entirely possible.
It absolutely is. The team won't trade any assets till the deadline for this point. We have been dreadful but most have the west has been too. Yes, we have not had a good season but still being 3 points out is huge. Talbot will stay unless something happens.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Playing a handful of games down the stretch is different from expecting them to play big roles for a full season.

Take Jones for example: assuming Kelf comes back healthy and Sekera rejoins the team, you can play him in limited minutes in the bottom pair, not top pairing like he did when he was up.
If both Klefbom and Sekera (can come back), the reasonable thing would be to send down Jones and let him play his face off in all situations in a comfort zone and gain his confidence back, rather than play 7 minutes up here as a 6th dman or less. Play the acquired slugs and protect the kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad