Speculation: Who has got to go TDL

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
If both Klefbom and Sekera (can come back), the reasonable thing would be to send down Jones and let him play his face off in all situations in a comfort zone and gain his confidence back, rather than play 7 minutes up here as a 6th dman or less. Play the acquired slugs and protect the kids.

Why do you think his confidence is shot?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Let's not forget Gravel, he's a guy that seems to not have the coaches backing. He'd probably fetch a 4th or so.

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
It depends on where the team is and how guys are performing at that point. If the team is out of the playoffs, then move whoever you can who isn't in the long term plans for picks/prospects to give the next GM something more to work with at the draft. If the team is in the playoffs, keep whoever is helping the team win games, and try to purge the guys who aren't.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
A few games no it won't. 20 yes, we don't need that.

People complained about rushing prospects, yet here we are trying to do the exact same thing that PC was doing? I don't get it.
It's not called rushing if there is no pressure to win.. it gives them a taste of NHL and is gives them things to work on.
If we are sellers then I have no issues with playing these fringe NHLers

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Who stays is a better question:

McDavid
Draisaitl
RNH
Klefbom
Nurse
Larsson
Koskinen, I guess

everyone else can go for a price

Larsson could go for the right price imo. He's not signed long term and he wasn't very good to start the year and has been brutal since Klefbom went down.

Not that I think they should trade him just to trade him. But he shouldn't be an untouchable.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
How about...

We keep everyone until we know if we are in the playoff picture or not.

Klefbom is coming back and we are a night and day better team with him.

While I am not planning the parade at the same time i think planning a wholesale purge is extremely negative and a bit premature.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think it depends where the team is at closer to the deadline. I would move Talbot out if he has any value. If hes worth a 4th - 7th probably no point. Players like Manning, Spooner etc are obvious but they won’t be easy to move.

I just don’t see many UFA/RFA players worth much here. Maybe Chiasson could fetch a third. Still need some players on the roster to keep the prospects in Bakersfield.

The Oilers should be trying to move unwanted contracts. Lucic and Sekera are the main ones but thats an off-season move if its even possible.

The Oilers will be much busier than they probably should be.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Why do you think his confidence is shot?

Lots of mistakes lately and they keep piling up. Nothing he can't recover from, and time in the minors will help refine his game further. Only reason he was up in the first place is due to injuries. Otherwise keep him down there. We have the other guys that Chia traded for to take the lumps instead.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
It's not called rushing if there is no pressure to win.. it gives them a taste of NHL and is gives them things to work on.
If we are sellers then I have no issues with playing these fringe NHLers
“It's not called rushing if there is no pressure to win... It's not called rushing if there is no pressure to win... It's not called rushing if there is no pressure to win...” I just see like a sunken faced Justin Schultz rocking back and forth in a room saying that, for some reason. Doesn’t even really make sense haha.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If we’re in a playoff spot then I wouldn’t trade anyone. It sends a bad message to a team when you start clearing out players at the TDL.

If we’re out with a low chance of making it I’d trade every UFA. For non UFA’s I’d try to find someone to take Manning and Spooner.

Reactions: Aerchon

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
“It's not called rushing if there is no pressure to win... It's not called rushing if there is no pressure to win... It's not called rushing if there is no pressure to win...” I just see like a sunken faced Justin Schultz rocking back and forth in a room saying that, for some reason. Doesn’t even really make sense haha.
Jultz wasn't rushed.. he was just thrown to the wolves.
Jultz was too good for the AHL but needed sheltering in NHL as did Petry.
Both might still be here if we had someone like Larsson to play the toughest RD minutes

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Considering that trade deadline day coverage is 6 to 8 hours long, I'm sure a lot of guys will have to go.

800px-Men%27s_room.jpg

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
There is one player on this team that we will not trade. Everyone else is available for the right price. No one* is untouchable.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
IMO everyone not named McDavid is open for trade as long as we have the right gm to make the deal. No more losing trades I’m tired of giving away assets for nothing

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Does anyone really think that if we get in the playoffs we couldn't beat Calgary in first round? I sure think we could, and will.
Anyone agree?

We'd have as good of a shot as any lower seed. It would boil down to if we make any additions and our goaltending IMO. We'd need to play like the late 90's-early 00's Oilers and hit everything that moves to try and wear them down.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Selling off/pruning some of the overgrowth would be nice nice, but beyond that I don’t see much.

Up front, I don’t see anyone to sell. They don’t really have the depth to do it imo, and I’d rather keep Bakersfield as strong as possible going into their playoffs.

Spooner perhaps, but even then there’s also a part of me that would like to see him get a chance with a better defence behind him.

I’d rather target another cheap forward (Maroon?) and drop everyone a spot.

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Chiasson
Khaira-Spooner-Pulju
Rieder-Brodziak-Kassian

On defence, though I’d love to move out a lot of names; Manning, Petrovic, and Benning all being at the top of the list.

You’ve got a lot of cheap waiver except talent coming up, and I’d rather have cheap, but effective guys like Gravel (or Davidson for example) in the 7/8 roles.

I’d maybe keep Petro for the playoff push here, just for insurance. Plus his cap hit is off the books at the end of the year anyway, which is the main concern. But I’d move the other two without question.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell/Sekera
Russell/Sekera-Bear/Jones
Gravel, Petrovic

A RH OFD, who’s UFA would be wonderful, but I don’t see anyone fitting that bill available. Thus the only way you get one is but moving out Russell or Sekera (and that’s not really a mid season trade)

In net, the smart idea would be to make a shrewd move moving out Talbot and then bringing in another 1B like Elliot or Kuemper at a cheaper price. But I don’t really see this team doing a move like that.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
i'll have what you're having thanks

Why wouldn't they have a chance against Calgary? In the three games they've played Calgary this season, they've played them pretty well (with the exception of most of the game two weeks ago). If Mclellan would have prepared better for the 3rd in the first game, maybe the Oilers don't blow the two goal lead and are 2-1 instead of 1-2. As I've said in the around the league thread, no one is really going after the Flames stars right now in the regular season. They're not hitting them and are giving them time and space to do as they place. Once the playoff games roll around and the physicality ramps up, we'll see the real Flames. There's a reason why Gaudreau is -6 and Monahan is -7 in their 15 games of playoff hockey and the Flames are 5-10 overall with them in the lineup. They disappear when the games get tougher.

To not derail the thread, I think we'll see Talbot get dealt for a backup. If they're in a playoff spot at the TDL, Chiasson is staying unless they acquire a (better) scoring winger. I can see Benning, Rattie and Spooner all getting dealt as Gretzky won't be making any big moves unless it has the Pope's blessing. I expect a pretty slow and rather uneventful chain of events leading up to the TDL for the Oilers over the next 27 days (in case anyone is wondering, the deadline is February 25...usually at 3:00 p.m. EST).

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Selling off/pruning some of the overgrowth would be nice nice, but beyond that I don’t see much.

Up front, I don’t see anyone to sell. They don’t really have the depth to do it imo, and I’d rather keep Bakersfield as strong as possible going into their playoffs.

Spooner perhaps, but even then there’s also a part of me that would like to see him get a chance with a better defence behind him.

I’d rather target another cheap forward (Maroon?) and drop everyone a spot.

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Chiasson
Khaira-Spooner-Pulju
Rieder-Brodziak-Kassian

On defence, though I’d love to move out a lot of names; Manning, Petrovic, and Benning all being at the top of the list.

You’ve got a lot of cheap waiver except talent coming up, and I’d rather have cheap, but effective guys like Gravel (or Davidson for example) in the 7/8 roles.

I’d maybe keep Petro for the playoff push here, just for insurance. Plus his cap hit is off the books at the end of the year anyway, which is the main concern. But I’d move the other two without question.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell/Sekera
Russell/Sekera-Bear/Jones
Gravel, Petrovic

A RH OFD, who’s UFA would be wonderful, but I don’t see anyone fitting that bill available. Thus the only way you get one is but moving out Russell or Sekera (and that’s not really a mid season trade)

In net, the smart idea would be to make a shrewd move moving out Talbot and then bringing in another 1B like Elliot or Kuemper at a cheaper price. But I don’t really see this team doing a move like that.

1. This is a really good point. Maybe why Yamamoto and Puljujarvi should be down there.

2. Maroon was not popular in the dressing room according to Brian Burke, and that is why he was traded. Not likely Edmonton reacquires him.

3. Yep. A fair bit of money in cap space without a good return on the ice.

4. I like your optimism on a playoff push. I think we're out of it by the TDL. If I am wrong I'd be happy.

5. Bob Stauffer has stated moving Talbot is a forgone conclusion.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Talbot, Kassian, Benning, Rieder will return us some form of value but that assets will be gone by trying to move Manning, Spooner, Petro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad