Who has gone from composite back to wood?

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
Can't find anymore Easton classic intermediates. :(

Down to my last one so I'm using it sparingly. Woodie selection at the local stores looking thinner and thinner each season.

jntadt22

Mar 6, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
I have a two piece, which feels very heavy to me. But it was a freebie, so I use it for road hockey demo (I only coach nowadays). I have the first Synergy that was put on the market, but the end of the blade is all chipped away and cracked. Then this past year, somebody I knew bought the Total One Special Edition, and didn't like it, so I got a great deal on it. I really like the weight, feel and snap of that stick. I'm just glad my buddy hated it!!! Before the TotalOne I was looking at going back to wood, again because I only coach hockey. I only get the Sherwood 5030 Featherlite. I used that same model from the time I was a Pee Wee all the way up until I bought my Synergy about 8 years ago. Best wood model that I've ever used.

A buddy that I coach with, had one of his composite sticks break and he didn't have a chance to go and buy one before practice (the Pro Shop was closed), luckily he brought his old woodie from his Minor Pro days. We made so much fun of him for that stick! I don't remember what kind it was, but I want to say it Christian, but man was it funny!!! He still has his old skates too, but those even for being old, looked cool, because they were the old Bauer 3000's. I had a pair of those when I was younger as well!

Ahhh, the memories!!!

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
imo... the ST is money
it has all the performance of the synergy in feel and shot, but the durability that has lasted me more than 80 games so far

krax

Jul 25, 2007
My 13 y/o son an I did. Found a stock of Bauer Supreme One80 Wood sticks (wood with black reinforced blade). Bought 10 sticks for him (flex 67) and me (flex 102). 15 bucks per stick. Great stuff.
After not scoring in 10 games with his 250$ composite he switched to the wooden stick and scored 3 goals in the first game :) He doesn't want to go back.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'll always love my synergys, and they do last a while but a few years ago I tried switching back to wood for a bit and I found a stick I absolutely loved. It was Afinoganovs(sp) TPS IIRC. I had an absolute bomb with this stick. Problem was, I broke one every single game. I actually had loaded up on them too. Went out and grabbed 5 or 6 of them. Broke them all in about a months time. Back to the synergy I went. I break quite a few composites too but not anywhere near the same rate. I won't go back to a wood stick anytime soon.

Uncle Slick

Mar 1, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My playing days have been long finished. Always used a wooden stick except my final yr, when the club had a stick program so I used an aluminum stick. Still have it and 2 blades that have never been used.

Until 2010, I had coached 25+ yrs at the bantam, m/midget or midget levels. So the old style woodie was fine.

Our trainer worked a deal with a retailer, each yr we offered a stick program to our players. The cost was anywhere from $70-$85 per players which provided 7-10 wooden sticks per player (4 each for the goalies). I've always maintained that kids can manipulate the wooden stick far easier than a comp or aluminum stick.

1 yr, kids chipped in and bought me a comp as an end of season gift.
I tried it and hated it. Ultimately I ended up giving it to a neighbour.

My own kids use wooden sticks.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I tried it once and could barely handle the puck. It felt as if the wood stick wasn't as "springy" as the composite. I'd push the puck forward and it wouldn't go as far in front of me as I was expecting, or I'd try stickhandling back and forth and lose control of the puck because it didn't arrive on my blade when I was expecting it. I ended up trimming that wood stick down and now I use it in my garage to practice stickhandling when I have some free time, which works well because I've found that the green biscuit is more responsive than a puck.

I'm sure that I would have gotten accustomed to it, but I wasn't willing to sacrifice performance while I re-learned how to stickhandle with it. I think that regardless of which way you go, you have to endure a bit of an adjustment period.

What I found odd was that it significantly improved my shot. I was ripping slapshots top shelf and even my wristers felt like they had more velocity and were easier to control. FWIW, I went from an Easton S5 composite (lower end) to an Easton SY90 wooden stick. Same flex rating (I don't know how you calculate flex on a wood stick) and same blade pattern (Zetterberg).

Danglous

Dec 5, 2007
Philly
I use an Sher-Wood with the old Paul Coffey blade. I like it for 30 bucks. The blades on composites chip or break to easily. I do like composites I'll probably buy one again but not until my Sher-Wood breaks.

Ive always loved these sticks, but they usually only last me one game before they break.

Thesensation19*

Its $40 for a wood stick, why not just buy one to buy it. Its really all about feel, and there pretty durable. Depending how heavy you are and how much you lean on it.

But its all preference, but in terms of just having a back up... buy a wood stick, buy two. Your practically saving $$$ and still have back up. Then have your one or two main sticks composite if it makes you feel better

qmechanic

Mar 29, 2012
I used to use Sherwood 5030 hockey sticks and they were pretty good. This thread is making me nostalgic, maybe I should go back and try them again.

Around the time I switched from wood to composite, Sherwood stopped making their woodies in Canada. I wonder if anyone has noticed a difference.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
As a goalie, it's always wood for me. I've tried a few different composites and they all have this weird bounce rebound effect. I'll take a nice solid foam-core wood stick over a composite every day of the week.

mhkehoe

Nov 18, 2010
I could never go back to wood sticks. When I was in my teens, I constantly broke them after 6-7 games, and I was not a big kid, and I was not that rough with them.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I've got a couple wooden sticks i use if i'm just goofing around playing on an outdoor rink sometimes. They're fine. I mean, it's not as good, but it's not like it completely invalidates my ability to do things with the puck.

I'm a pretty poor stickhandler in the first place though, so maybe that's part of it. :laugh:

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
I never understood how people go through this many sticks... it has to be form.

Valorn83

Jul 21, 2014
Eugene, Oregon
I used sherwood 5030 wood sticks and really liked them but I would only get about 3 good games before the blade would start to get soft. I play defense so taking hard shots was also hard on the blades.

I switched to the cheaper composite sticks and they weigh about the same as the wood sticks and take a little bit to get used to. Currently using the Mako m1 with iginla curve and its been a great stick.

Thesensation19*

I dont mind wood. Find some good ones. $35 - $50.00. Dont mind the heaviness either. Just as long as its distributed equally along the stick. Not bottom heavy.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
I never understood how people go through this many sticks... it has to be form.

If a stick is being used to its proper meaning its bound to last maybe 6 months at most.

High end sticks are made for people who are high end players. Not to bash beer leaguers but the 260$ composites aren't made for them. They're made for players that play at a competitive level. Bantam AA-AAA, midget aa-aaa, junior, college, minor & professional..

My coach retired this year from playing professionally. He used wood sticks in juniors, he was one of the last to use them in the ushl. When he started he could use a wood stick for 2-3 games and after his 2nd season He went through 3 a game. Maybe they didn't break but the performance lacked. Wood sticks just aren't made to be used as brutally as they are now a days.

If you use a stick properly your estimated time of 'usefulness' is 1-60 days. Which is why warranties on sticks are so little.

Of course pro stock sticks are built even tougher and pros go through as many as 3 a period..

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
If a stick is being used to its proper meaning its bound to last maybe 6 months at most.

High end sticks are made for people who are high end players. Not to bash beer leaguers but the 260$ composites aren't made for them. They're made for players that play at a competitive level. Bantam AA-AAA, midget aa-aaa, junior, college, minor & professional..

My coach retired this year from playing professionally. He used wood sticks in juniors, he was one of the last to use them in the ushl. When he started he could use a wood stick for 2-3 games and after his 2nd season He went through 3 a game. Maybe they didn't break but the performance lacked. Wood sticks just aren't made to be used as brutally as they are now a days.

If you use a stick properly your estimated time of 'usefulness' is 1-60 days. Which is why warranties on sticks are so little.

Of course pro stock sticks are built even tougher and pros go through as many as 3 a period..

I disagree with so much written here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad