Who has gone from composite back to wood?

bosshogg18

Oct 26, 2009
Lyle, WA, Tacoma, WA
I have been curious to switch back (mainly because of cost). Don't get me wrong, I love, and think composites are far superior to wood, but I can't keep paying $150+ for a stick.
Has anyone gone back from composite to wood, or never switched from wood for that matter? I haven't used a wood stick since about 1995, when I was a bantam player. They seemed fine then, but at that time, it was all I had ever used and didn't know any different.
Thanks for your input.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I agree on the pain of forking out $150 a stick, but th truth is that wood sticks cost around $40, and I know I used to break one every 3-4 games.

My Easton ST's last me 25+ games. so, cost vs cost, I think you are saving with a composite. Seriously.

Then there is the fact that they are lighter and that makes your stick checking more effective. They have more snap, and your shot will prove that.

Plus the consistancy of the stick through it's life time... well, composite wins again.

I remember shying away from one timers for fear of breaking my stick... now, any chance I get, I torque that sucker up and let it fly.

For me there is no question, in both cost of ownership and performance, composites just win.

My advice, get a stick with a curve you like. Make sure it is one that they use it's durability to promote it. My choice, Easton Synergy ST.

bosshogg18

Oct 26, 2009
Lyle, WA, Tacoma, WA
Joe, I agree with you on everything as far as performance goes. As far as only lasting 3 or 4 games, I know they would last me longer than that, especially since I am just playing in a beer league.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
They don't make them whippy enough for me, so I can't use wood.

Try an Easton Classic Intermediate. Had one last summer and worked great.

I use a woodie occasionally, but for the most part comp shaft with a wood blade. Nice mix of both worlds.

Razzmatazz

Feb 2, 2010
Originally played my first 3 seasons with the Sherwood PMPX 9050, which was tough to get a hard shot with, but definitely made the transition to lighter flexes much easier. I spent all summer taking shots at a wall in the park with that stick, and after returning from a two year hiatus, I switched to a more primitive composite my brother didn't want, and played with it for 5 games last season, until I was forced to play defense for scoring too many goals. That's when I switched to the heralded Sherwood 5030 because I didn't want to break the Vector stickchecking. I got about 20+ games out of the first 5030, but still keep the composite as a backup. The sticks are both comparable in flex and weight, but there is a noticeable difference in the release, something I don't want to be handicapped by. Still playing with the 5030, and have no plans on changing to anything else until I win the lottery.

BigBadBread

Shi Shi Shawww
Dec 4, 2006
Funny story. All up through minor hockey/AAA/ and Jr.B. I played with composite sticks and would not think about using a wood stick. Until last year when I moved into a new apt and some guy had left a old beat up Sher-Wood with a chunk gone out of the blade on the top down in the basement.

I didn't use it until one time I snapped one of my good ones and had no other stick to use, so I said screw it and I used the Sher-Wood. Keep in mind that I play defence and this stick was about inches shorter than I always used.

Fell in love with the stick immediately and have stuck with the same stick ever since. I just love the feel of the puck on your blade and the softness of your passes. I only play rec hockey now but I can't see myself paying $100+ for a stick in the near future.

Last edited:

Ghills23

Young Guns
Aug 12, 2006
Buffalo
I use an Sher-Wood with the old Paul Coffey blade. I like it for 30 bucks. The blades on composites chip or break to easily. I do like composites I'll probably buy one again but not until my Sher-Wood breaks.

adaptation

Jan 3, 2011
The only time i see where going wood is better is after a long pause of hockey(1-2year+).

First because the weight will help you build muscle and second usually after a layoff of hockey you don't want to bust out 100$ for a stick when your not even sure you will get back fully in hockey.

Turboflex*

I know someone who did but only cuz he is a centreman and got tired of having sticks broken in face offs against jerks who move in with a hard hack (in a beer league cmon dumbass).

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Try an Easton Classic Intermediate. Had one last summer and worked great.

I use a woodie occasionally, but for the most part comp shaft with a wood blade. Nice mix of both worlds.
Thats what I use too with an occasional use of a 5030. Plus the benefit of using a 2 piece is being able to go custom with the curve you use.

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON
I use a really long stick with a really low (whippy) flex, so unfortunately there's not really a wood stick out there that can meet my needs.

I don't want to open up a can of worms here, but the thing that people (i.e. wood stick fans) seem to forget is that wood sticks become useless just as quickly as composites. They just don't explode "spectacularly" the way that composites do. Nothing worse than using a wood stick or blade that's dead.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Joe, I agree with you on everything as far as performance goes. As far as only lasting 3 or 4 games, I know they would last me longer than that, especially since I am just playing in a beer league.

:) well... I can only talk from my experience. Wood sticks lose their "snap" and once the fiberglass is split, water creeps in, they get soggy and the break.

The wood sticks are great for 2 games, then blah. And if they survive past 5 games, they are rarely ever crisp feeling.

Just my opinion. I save money with a composite stick.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
:) well... I can only talk from my experience. Wood sticks lose their "snap" and once the fiberglass is split, water creeps in, they get soggy and the break.

The wood sticks are great for 2 games, then blah. And if they survive past 5 games, they are rarely ever crisp feeling.

Just my opinion. I save money with a composite stick.

I still have & use a Koho Revolution from the early 90s.....

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
Thats what I use too with an occasional use of a 5030. Plus the benefit of using a 2 piece is being able to go custom with the curve you use.

Exactly. I found a shaft I liked, then tried out different curves until I settled on a Getzlaf.

I'm only kicking myself that I didn't stock up on more of the shafts when they were on sale for only $20.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Retail? no way. Second part is absolutely true however, but we like good stuff anyway

Depends, things like the Bauer X:20 or Easton S5 are pretty solid sticks if you don't absolutely need the top of the line stuff. Look around at different online stores and compare prices, surely you can find a deal on one of those.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Depends, things like the Bauer X:20 or Easton S5 are pretty solid sticks if you don't absolutely need the top of the line stuff. Look around at different online stores and compare prices, surely you can find a deal on one of those.

It's all relative. If a person goes from using a woodie that has the wrong lie/curve and flex for them to a low-end OPS with all of the correct features mentioned above, then of course they're going to notice that the cheap (price-wise) OPS is much much better. However if their skills improves in the future and they upgrade to a high-end OPS with again, the same features, than I'll bet that they'll comment on how bad their old OPS was.

Trevor3

Nov 16, 2010
Stephenville - YJT
When I was in Peewee my dad gave me my first two-piece stick, an Easton T-Flex with a Sakic blade which I thought was the best thing ever. Up to that point I had only used wood sticks. That lasted me for two years before I upgraded to an Eastern Synergy Si-core, then a Mission Z-1 and a Reebok 4K. I never paid more than $80 for any of the composites (thank you summer clearance sales!), and all of those sticks lasted multiple seasons, in fact I still have all of them. The Reebok was used for 3 years including two midget and a year of junior. The Mission was just too bulky and I didn't like the feel of it, the Synergy was amazing but the blade chipped away at the end, it can still be used but I wouldn't rely on it. Anyway, point is that I love the composite sticks BUT...

I took them to university with me, so when I went home at Christmas I couldn't bring them on the bus. I picked up a $15 Sherwood at Canadian Tire and it was impressive, I can't see ever buying another composite. They're nice but since I'm pretty much done with competitive hockey I don't see myself spending $80 on sticks.

Not Threadworthy

Aug 23, 2010
Not where I wanna be
I've always used a wood stick. I like the feel of a really heavy stick, and haven't found any composites that are heavy enough. I really haven't looked for composites, though. If I find a heavy one with a good feel, I might just switch over, but I'm happy being a relic.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
I never used anything but wood.

Granted I play in a league maybe once every two years or so, but I'm not the only one.

There's better quality wooden sticks just like anything else.

CCM is usually the brand I buy, I'd usually go through 2-3 sticks a season. That's not because of breaking, just wear.

Now granted I don't use the stick much for checking purposes, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad