Who has been our best player?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The thing with Varly was that he was awesome to start the season. Eventually the terrible defending and having to bail this team out time and time again wore him down, but he's still one of the two biggest reasons we haven't ran away with this tank.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
This shouldn't even be a question its Duchene by a large margin. Followed by PAP. And then Varly. After that I couldn't name a player that has been consistently decent all year maybe Mitchell and ROR fall into that category. I really have liked Kobasew and McCleod this year but they just don't bring enough to the table to even be mentioned in this conversation.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Duchene
PAP
Mitchell

Varly has been good and has kept us in games at some points but usually gives up too many early goals and weak goals this year.
But would most likely place him 4th.

O'Reilly hasn't played enough.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Kinda sad that neither Stastny, Landeskog or Johnson don't even enter the conversation.

PAP
Duchene
Barrie (a lot of folks will disagree but he's added something no other dman has been able to offer when he's actually played)

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
:laugh: Now that's funny. Put a guy that didn't play half the season on this list. Good team guy right there. He sure was a stud to start the season. :laugh:

My list:
1. Varlamov
2. Duchene
3. Parenteau

I didn't rank ROR in the top 3 for that reason but seriously...it's not his fault the AVs management sucks at negotiations. If he'd been signed he'd be on most people's short list of top 3. I can't fault folks for putting him up there though. He'd have been #3 on my list behind PAP and Duchene if he'd been here the whole season.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I didn't rank ROR in the top 3 for that reason but seriously...it's not his fault the AVs management sucks at negotiations. If he'd been signed he'd be on most people's short list of top 3. I can't fault folks for putting him up there though. He'd have been #3 on my list behind PAP and Duchene if he'd been here the whole season.

Really hard to say where he'd be on the list if he'd been here all year -- since he wasn't.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Really hard to say where he'd be on the list if he'd been here all year -- since he wasn't.

But if you were to take the season as only the games in which he's been a part of the team...would he make your short list? It's tough for me because Barrie wasn't with the team all season either and I had him pegged at #3 (think I might be the only guy to have him on the list.) ROR in his time here wouldn't have changed my mind about PAP and Duchene being #1 and #2 but I'd be torn between him and Barrie at the #3 spot. In the end I still pick Barrie because in my mind, he had no say in his inability to play for the AVs all season (he was signed, sealed and delivered some time ago) and simply makes the most of whatever time he's given. Touch choice though.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Just looking at the last half of our "season"? Yeah, I'd probably go:

Dutch
PAP
Barrie

ROR

Varly

But you don't pick a 1st half MVP and a 2nd half MVP.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
BT still holding dat grudge in every thread. :D

You're still reading me wrong, TPS.
Not long ago, you said I was arguably the biggest hater of ROR.
And that's simply not true.
I love his game, his workout, his "never say die" attitude.
I want him on the team long-term, and would choose him over Staz if it came down to it.
I definitely did not like his negotiating tactics, and unfortunately, I think that said a little about his character.
I sincerely hope that everything can be smoothed out, that all hurt feelings -- on ALL sides -- can heal, and that he'll be on the team for a long, long time (and that he earns the big paycheck, and more).

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I haven't been as impressed with Varlamov as some here. He's been ok but not as good as he was last half last season. I can't recall if he stolen a single game this year. Perhaps the one point away to Sharks.

Duchene and Parenteau have been the best.

He stole a game against Nashville the other day. But he hasn't been up to his usual standards. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt as it must be demoralizing playing behind the Avs defence.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
You're still reading me wrong, TPS.
Not long ago, you said I was arguably the biggest hater of ROR.
And that's simply not true.
I love his game, his workout, his "never say die" attitude.
I want him on the team long-term, and would choose him over Staz if it came down to it.
I definitely did not like his negotiating tactics, and unfortunately, I think that said a little about his character.
I sincerely hope that everything can be smoothed out, that all hurt feelings -- on ALL sides -- can heal, and that he'll be on the team for a long, long time (and that he earns the big paycheck, and more).

I'm not so sure about that. Every once in a great while a player decides what he is worth and draws a line in the sand and sticks to it. ROR is all good in my mind and the AVs probably could've had him signed, sealed and delivered for 5 years at 1M/season less if they hadn't pigeon holed him into that bridge contract.

My understanding is that he wasn't asking for 5M per but was asking for 4 or 5 years and the AVs didn't want to work on a contract that included that many years. I'm sure this has been hashed and re-hashed before so no one needs to come in and correct me unless I'm completely off my rocker. Fact is, he thought he was worth more than the AVs were offering. The Flames agreed and then the AVs agreed with the Flames. It could've been resolved a lot sooner and with less uncertainty (and a cold-war feel) if the AVs would've negotiated on the number of years with ROR. I'm thinking a 4 or 5 year contract at 4 or 4.5M per would've had him locked in long term with no bad feelings but just don't think the AVs were looking that far ahead with him. Now they begrudgingly gave him 5M per for one and a half years and no-one knows what they hell the long term outlook is. Is he going to stay or be traded out of spite? With Stastny regressing it is imperative for ROR to be kept (IMO) but barring a big fat snake eating PL and the fact his panties are now in a wad...who knows.

It could end like Sakic in 18 more years with a snow-blower accident and a jersey retirement ceremony or it could end with ROR retiring from the Rangers injury riddled and over-paid. :dunno::deadhorse

[edit...I also think it says something about his character that he stood up for what he believed he was worth.]

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
I think diamond o'money has been good but there's really no comparing. Duchene has been our top dog. Varly has played as well as can be expected but he's given up a lot of soft goals too. I'm not saying he's been bad by any stretch of the word but I feel he lacks consistency.

So don't all the young lads, but Duchene has been in my opinion our best.

Besides... all varly has to do is get hit by a puck. Not like its hard or anything rite?!

Last note. Auto correct sucks when trying to type hockey player names.

Last last note. Sherman should hire lawn and drive way assistants for our core guy. Like make zanon, funwick, and obrien do it instead of going to practice. Don't want that 18 year snow blower..

Last edited:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Varlamov has been mediocre. For every game where the Avalanche have left him out to dry, he's had a game where a back-breaking softie cost Colorado dearly.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I have heard a lot of Duchene praise, and don't get me wrong, he has played great. I happen to think that Varly has been our mvp this year.

Thoughts? Am I just crazy??

Parenteau and Duchene have been the best, and there's a pretty large canyon between them and the next player, IMO. If I had to choose a 3rd, I'd probably go with Varlamov, but he's been a mixed bag.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
As much as I can't really blame Varlamov for his bad play this season, there's no way he's been more important than Duchene and Parenteau. Unless you're basing his soft goals being let in as good for the tank...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad