Who goes to Rochester and who stays?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I don't think it's exactly in CIS's interest to start poaching CHL players nor is it in the interest of top CHL players to go play in CIS instead of the CHL, regardless of what would actually be allowed. Canadian college hockey has a significantly lower talent level than the CHL (even if they are older) or the NCAA.

I do notice that a ton of former CHL players end up playing Canadian college hockey. Obviously, these end up being the guys that couldn't turn a CHL career into a pro one at the NHL level, so I guess it is pretty fair to say that the Canadian college game is third to the other two avenues you mention.

Nobody goes to play college hockey in Canada with the ultimate goal of turning into an NHLer

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I do notice that a ton of former CHL players end up playing Canadian college hockey. Obviously, these end up being the guys that couldn't turn a CHL career into a pro one at the NHL level, so I guess it is pretty fair to say that the Canadian college game is third to the other two avenues you mention.

Nobody goes to play college hockey in Canada with the ultimate goal of turning into an NHLer

Most will turn pro rather than going to college as I believe if you sign a pro contract then you lose the free schooling in CIS. So it leaves the guys with a difficult choice. Go get your free schooling or continue chasing the dream.

While CIS is obviously below NCAA and CHL there are still some good competition and coaches in the league. I know Joel Ward and Mathieu Darche along with Dr. Randy Gregg all played CIS before making the NHL. There is/was a coach in the NHL that coached in the CIS I believe.

Anyways it was just a random thought I had as it would allow them more gym time, etc.

Also going to college for a year wouldn't be the worst idea for some of this kids who play Major Junior. A lot of them barely make it through high school as a lot of teachers don't care about them. In Kelowna they get to miss every afternoon for practice and take easy electives and still miss half the classes. Not to mention all the time they miss from road trips and stuff.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Looking at the defense, I'm wondering who gets the minutes based on ice time history. Here are the TOI/g last season for the likely candidates for NHL spots:

LHD
Gorges - 21:14 (66 games)
Meszaros - 17:47 (52 games)
Weber - 17:49 (68 games)
McCabe - 15:12 (7 games)
Zadorov - 17:10 (7 games)

RHD
Myers - 21:53 (62 games)
Pysyk - 19:37 (44 games)
Ristolainen - 19:07 (34 games) (saw regular 20:00+ usage after recall)
Ruhwedel - 17:52 (21 games)

I look at this and it makes me really nervous whether there are even enough bodies there for all the D minutes for 82 games.

Gorges is really the only one in our D corp who has played a full 82 games season recently, but that was 3 years ago (broken wrist last year, lockout the year before). Seems a sure thing the top pairing should be Gorges/Myers, but Myers has had some injury problems the past 3 seasons.

Meszaros played 81 games averaging 21:07 TOI/g 4 seasons ago in philly, but has been injury prone the past 3 seasons. He may be asked to play 82 games 2nd pairing minutes with the Sabres this season, but like myers will he stay healthy?

Weber has never been asked to play a full 82 games season. He's typically healthy scratched ~25% of the season. I don't see him slotted in as the 3rd pair D to start the season. I think he starts as the #7 and will need to earn regular playing time or wait for the injuries.

Pysyk and Risto I believe are by necessity going to be asked to play 82 games as Sabres this year, because really who else is there to get the minutes? I think they've both proven they're ready to become permanent sabres, and I think the sabres are really going to need them to be that this year.

Ruhwedel got a 1-way contract but I still don't think that makes him more than a #7 in the AHL to start. More likely than not he'll probably get 20-40 games with the sabres due to injuries.

Regarding Zadorov and McCabe, I think its likely 1 of them earns a spot on the sabres. Given that we're 3 dmen short of the number we used last year, it wouldn't surprise me if Zadorov made the roster (assuming he proves ready this preseason) while McCabe starts in the AHL. That way McCabe can be a callup when needed.

If Zadorov goes back to Juniors, then that means you're asking the remaining 8 Dmen to carry the remaining 483 Defensemen-games for the whole season (82*6 - 9game tryout for Zads). Ignoring pairings and RHD/LHD, it seems like we're both hoping for best case scenarios and/or asking players to do more than we should:

Gorges: 66 games
Myers: 62 games
Meszaros: 52 games
Weber: 68 games (and this was already probably asking too much)
Risto: 34 games
Pysyk: 44 games
Ruhwedel: 21 games
McCabe: 7 games

Total: 354 games

So we've still got 129 defenseman-games to make up based on how many games each of those players played last season. How would you allocate the remaining games?

Can Gorges be counted on for 82 games?
How many games can we expect for Myers? An optimistic 75?
What about Meszaros? Can he stay healthy for 70 games?
Do Risto and Pysyk both get 75 games?
Does Weber still get at least 60 games?
Ruhwedel and McCabe ~20 games apiece?

If you're not comfortable answering yes to the above 6 statements, then you gotta find another way to get to 492 defenseman-games.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Just a fYI you left out Strachan as a depth dman.

And I fully expect another dman or two to be acquired. It could be more like Stachan, AHL guy that will provide solid depth. or maybe another NHL vet.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
(If we don't see any trades)

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford
Hodgson-Reinhart-Gionta
Foligno-Girgensons-Stewart
Deslauriers-Mitchell-Kaleta

McCormick
Ellis

Gorges-Myers
Meszaros-Ristolainen
Weber-Pysyk

Ruhwedel

Neuvirth
Enroth/Hackett

Honestly not to bad of a lineup considering where we were at last year

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Not bad. That's actually a nicely balanced forward lineup, although you seem to be missing Stewart.

I have a feeling that Stewart will be gone by opening night.

My one issue would be having Larsson pulling limited defensive minutes in Buffalo versus big minutes in Rochester where he has time to improve his offense.

Not sure how you feel about Flynn but I'd rather see him on the fourth line over Larsson - if only during a tank season. I see Mitchell as a scratched forward. He didn't really impress me last season, although the injury bug made the whole team look bad.

Flynn has always seemed like a stop-gap because of a general lack of talent on the roster. Your logic and reasoning with Larsson getting top 6 minutes in Rochester to build on his strong finish there is solid -and I can buy into letting him stay there even if he's NHL-ready IMO and using Flynn at RW on 4th line for another year.

That said, I think Deslaurier may also benefit from top 6 duty in Rochester for a season rather than bottom 6 time in NHL - but his waiver status will be a determining factor.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Jeayahnta is back! I forgot! One of my favorite out of town name spells is now on our squad!

Immediately leaps up into top three with Hahjcin and Riouxweadle

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Just a fYI you left out Strachan as a depth dman.

And I fully expect another dman or two to be acquired. It could be more like Stachan, AHL guy that will provide solid depth. or maybe another NHL vet.

Yeah, including Zadorov if he stays, there's only 13 defensemen between Rochester and Buffalo right now. With them at least sending 1 or 2 to Elmira, that's no where near enough. At least 2 more will be acquired is my guess.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
(If we don't see any trades)

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford
Hodgson-Reinhart-Gionta
Foligno-Girgensons-Stewart
Deslauriers-Mitchell-Kaleta

McCormick
Ellis