Who goes to Rochester and who stays?

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Larsson,Deslauriers,Flynn,Ruhwedel,Pysyk up.

Ristolainen,Grigorenko,McCabe,Ristolainen down.

Reinhart/Zadorov BOTH back to juniors.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Larsson,Deslauriers,Flynn,Ruhwedel,Pysyk up.

Ristolainen,Grigorenko,McCabe,Ristolainen down.

Reinhart/Zadorov BOTH back to juniors.
I think Pysyk and Phlin are both certain to be here.

Phlin is in the group with McCormick, Deslauriers and Kaleta for filling out the fourth line.

Pysyk will get a large chunk of McBain and Ehrhoff's departed minutes.

Ristolainen should also be here; not demoted twice, like you propose ;)

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I think Pysyk and Phlin are both certain to be here.

Phlin is in the group with McCormick, Deslauriers and Kaleta for filling out the fourth line.

Pysyk will get a large chunk of McBain and Ehrhoff's departed minutes.

Ristolainen should also be here; not demoted twice, like you propose ;)

Eh...

I have no doubt at all that he'll finish the season on the Sabres roster full-time (likely for good). However, starting the whole group of grigs,armia,risto down in roch together can help to build that bond between guys that I expect should be part of the core of our time in a few years.

If Ristolainen shows without question that he can't possibly be sent down, then keep him up. But most likely, he'll be ok (from a dev standpoint) with 30-40 rochester games. He'll only get to develop once...and he'll have the next 10-15 years to be an impactful Sabre...

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Girgensons obviously and Reinhart, Flynn, Deslauriers, Kaleta then there's not really room for anyone else.

On defense I was surprised that they didn't bring in another bottom 6/7 dman and I still think they get another filler type, but if they don't then I think Pysyk, Risto make it, Zadorov gets 9 games, then Ruhwedel comes up to play 5,6,7.

Everyone else goes down. No reason to keep anyone else around for another belly flop season, almost without exception.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
As much as I want Larsson up, I'm not sure there's any room for him. Id rather he play a top 6 role and key contributor in Rochester than playing 4th line minutes in Buffalo.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
On D I would imagine that Zaradov and Weber battle for the 3rd LD spot and Risto and Rud battle for the final RD spot. Assuming either Weber or Rud loses their battle, that individual would take on the role of 7th dman. I can’t see Zads or Risto taking on that role though, for them they’re going to be playing somewhere.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I am Assuming these roster locks:
(10)Hodgson, Girgs, Stewart, Stafford, Ennis, Gionta, Moulson, Foligno, McCormick, Reinhart

That leaves 3-4 spots for:
(7) Ellis, Kaleta, Mitchell, Larsson, Flynn, Deslauriers, Grigorenko

Definitely getting waived to Rochester
Ellis
Mitchell

Neither has a purpose at this point. They can go be vet leaders in Rochester though, that is their purpose now

Likely to get sent down because they don't have to clear, but should be up towards the end of the year when we shed some guys at the deadline.
Larsson*
Grigorenko

That leaves Kaleta, Flynn, and Deslauriers as the likely candidates to make the team. Deslauriers is nearly a lock... we traded assets to get him, and signed him to a 1 way. Kaleta has a purpose even as a 13th forward.

* They could keep Larsson up, if they carry 14 forwards, and scratch 2 of the 3 above each night...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't think Mitchell is a lock to get waived.

He doesn't possess a single NHL quality... He's a 4th line winger, with no size/physical game, and no special teams use...

he's the definition of "fringe NHLer", and that's being kind.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He doesn't possess a single NHL quality... He's a 4th line winger, with no size/physical game, and no special teams use...

he's the definition of "fringe NHLer", and that's being kind.

He is good defensively, good PKer and has very good speed. I agree he is a 4th liner but not the dismissive description you've laid out.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
He is good defensively, good PKer and has very good speed. I agree he is a 4th liner but not the dismissive description you've laid out.

no. not really.

if Mitchell is "good" at those things, you've just described 80% of the NHL as "good defensively". :laugh:

Instead of "good", let's say "Just Competent enough to barely hang on in the NHL, playing 8-12 minutes a night while bouncing around the league"

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I am Assuming these roster locks:
(10)Hodgson, Girgs, Stewart, Stafford, Ennis, Gionta, Moulson, Foligno, McCormick, Reinhart

That leaves 3-4 spots for:
(7) Ellis, Kaleta, Mitchell, Larsson, Flynn, Deslauriers, Grigorenko

Definitely getting waived to Rochester
Ellis
Mitchell

Neither has a purpose at this point. They can go be vet leaders in Rochester though, that is their purpose now

Likely to get sent down because they don't have to clear, but should be up towards the end of the year when we shed some guys at the deadline.
Larsson*
Grigorenko

That leaves Kaleta, Flynn, and Deslauriers as the likely candidates to make the team. Deslauriers is nearly a lock... we traded assets to get him, and signed him to a 1 way. Kaleta has a purpose even as a 13th forward.

* They could keep Larsson up, if they carry 14 forwards, and scratch 2 of the 3 above each night...

I think the jury's still out on that.

I don't doubt he's talented enough, but is he strong enough?

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Kaleta is a valuable PKer. He is a veteran presence. He still can be an effective agitator. This is his last chance to stick in the organization and I think he comes out strong. Keep him up and risk sending Flynn down. I really have no problem with him but he's just a tad too much of a tweaner.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
I think if Reinhart goes back to juniors that helps our tank. Not having this guy centering one of our lines makes our lineup look even crappier. If he's in there, who knows how many points he gets lol could drop us out of the bottom 2.

I think TM looks at the roster and sees how Reinhart does in camp and preseason, and assesses if he wants Reinhart to be a part of the disaster this season, or if he should play high level minutes and get bigger/stronger in juniors.

Kaleta stays with Buf I think...he's a really good penalty killer, and he's also a vet presence. Although he's not a great player, he can still play a lot of penalty killing minutes and provide some energy on that 4th line.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
no. not really.

if Mitchell is "good" at those things, you've just described 80% of the NHL as "good defensively". :laugh:

Instead of "good", let's say "Just Competent enough to barely hang on in the NHL, playing 8-12 minutes a night while bouncing around the league"

Actually he is good at defense and PKing. Agree to disagree

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Therefore, Ristolainen and McCabe get sent down. Pysyk has earned his roster spot with the big club, he stays. Ruhwedel has to stays but I could see him and Ristolainen switching. You need 7 NHL defenders.

Larsson needs to play, therefore, I think he goes down. Armia and Grigorenko must go down and play together.

Deslauriers stays he adds a lot to that 3rd/4th line role however I could see him back in Rochester too.

The two key junior guys:
Reinhart is a Sabre this year. Zadarov is a tough decision but for me 30 minutes a night is better than 12/14. Wish he could go to the Amerks but he's back in juniors.

I'm sure there are lots of opinions on this topic, letsvhear some.

Risto, Grigo, Armia and McCabe in Rochester. Pysyk, Des and Larsson up. Reinhart in Buffalo if he looks ready, although I would like to send him to the WJC during the season.

Zadorov still has a lot to learn in juniors. He has a lot to work on, most importantly his consistency. A lot of London fans were pissed with his performance in the playoffs, although most of the Knights were pretty bad, possibly because of the huge layoff.

In Buffalo: Reinhart, Ristolainen, Pysyk, Larsson, Ruhwedel

In Rochester: Grigorenko, Armia, McCabe along with Ellis, Flynn, Mitchell and Dalpe

In junior: Zadorov

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford
Hodgson-Reinhart-Gionta
Foligno-Girgensons-Kaleta
Deslaurier-Larsson-McCormick

Myers-Gorges
Ristolainen-Pysyk
Meszaros-Weber
Ruhwedel

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
Moulson-Ennis-Stafford
Hodgson-Reinhart-Gionta
Foligno-Girgensons-Kaleta
Deslaurier-Larsson-McCormick

Myers-Gorges
Ristolainen-Pysyk
Meszaros-Weber
Ruhwedel

Not bad. That's actually a nicely balanced forward lineup, although you seem to be missing Stewart. My one issue would be having Larsson pulling limited defensive minutes in Buffalo versus big minutes in Rochester where he has time to improve his offense.

Not sure how you feel about Flynn but I'd rather see him on the fourth line over Larsson - if only during a tank season. I see Mitchell as a scratched forward. He didn't really impress me last season, although the injury bug made the whole team look bad.

Rochester: Larsson/Grigorenko/Armia should be the first injury/trade call ups. Ellis captains the Amerks. Carrier looks like he's ready for the AHL. Not sure if Baptiste is eligible for AHL work yet but I'd love to see him in Rochester.

Juniors/NCAA: Zadorov (looking like he needs more time to work on his kumpeet level). Fasching and Compher - love to see them tear it up with the Amerks but I think we'll have to wait a year or two.

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford
Hodgson-Reinhart-Stewart
Foligno-Girgensons-Gionta
Deslauriers-McCormick-Kaleta
Flynn, Mitchell

Myers-Gorges
Ristolainen-Pysyk
Mezaros-Weber
Ruhwedel

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Not bad. That's actually a nicely balanced forward lineup, although you seem to be missing Stewart. My one issue would be having Larsson pulling limited defensive minutes in Buffalo versus big minutes in Rochester where he has time to improve his offense.

Not sure how you feel about Flynn but I'd rather see him on the fourth line over Larsson - if only during a tank season. I see Mitchell as a scratched forward. He didn't really impress me last season, although the injury bug made the whole team look bad.

Rochester: Larsson/Grigorenko/Armia should be the first injury/trade call ups. Ellis captains the Amerks. Carrier looks like he's ready for the AHL. Not sure if Baptiste is eligible for AHL work yet but I'd love to see him in Rochester.

Juniors/NCAA: Zadorov (looking like he needs more time to work on his kumpeet level). Fasching and Compher - love to see them tear it up with the Amerks but I think we'll have to wait a year or two.

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford
Hodgson-Reinhart-Stewart
Foligno-Girgensons-Gionta
Deslauriers-McCormick-Kaleta
Flynn, Mitchell

Myers-Gorges
Ristolainen-Pysyk
Mezaros-Weber
Ruhwedel

this is almost exactly what I see...only cink is if we get a vet dman to bump risto back down but honestly that leaves us with risto zads and mccabe all as rookies next year which may work out or may be to much...maybe better to break one in now...and id support it

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
This is kind of on topic but it's also off topic. Is there any other league we could send players like Reinhart or Zadorov to? I'm guessing because they are on their ELC's we aren't allowed to loan them oversea's to play against men.

But I've always thought about possibly letting them play in the CIS(Canadian University hockey). Quite a few of these players have played major junior, junior A or at the least junior b. This would allow the prospect to play good hockey against stronger players with a shorter schedule. That should allow someone like Reinhart to spend more time in the gym adding the strength he needs. These prospects can still go play at the WJC.

If this was allowed then they could also go play in the AHL sooner as I'm pretty sure the CIS season ends earlier. I'm quite sure this would break the CHL/NHL agreement in someway but it's something I've wondered about.

I happen to believe playing against older competition helps build up strength. I remember watching MPS play against all the Oiler's prospect's in Penticton the first year they had their prospect "tournament" there. MPS was outmuscling all the prospects there and looked the most NHL ready as he had been playing against men for 2 season's already.

Anyways just some food for thought. There definitely needs to be some exemption rule made or possibly(another wacky idea I've had) an All-Star CHL team that plays in like the AHL or tours around Europe or something to that affect.

Last edited:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
This is kind of on topic but it's also off topic. Is there any other league we could send players like Reinhart or Zadorov to? I'm guessing because they are on their ELC's we aren't allowed to loan them oversea's to play against men.
But I've always thought about possibly letting them play in the CIS(Canadian University hockey). Quite a few of these players have played major junior, junior A or at the least junior b. This would allow the prospect to play good hockey against stronger players with a shorter schedule. That should allow someone like Reinhart to spend more time in the gym adding the strength he needs. These prospects can still go play at the WJC.
If this was allowed then they could also go play in the AHL sooner as I'm pretty sure the CIS season ends earlier. I'm quite sure this would break the CHL/NHL agreement in someway but it's something I've wondered about.
I happen to believe playing against older competition helps build up strength. I remember watching MPS play against all the Oiler's prospect's in Penticton the first year they had their prospect "tournament" there. MPS was outmuscling all the prospects there and looked the most NHL ready as he had been playing against men for 2 season's already.
Anyways just some food for thought. There definitely needs to be some exemption rule made or possibly(another wacky idea I've had) an All-Star CHL team that plays in like the AHL or tours around Europe or something to that affect.

Im pretty sure thats not legal and plus I dont really see a plus side from it...we need to bite the bullet and put our prospects where they most deserve to be...I dont want anymore grigs situations...send zads and reinhardt back unless they blow minds....I think risto is here to stay and mccabe is down but he will be amazing in the ahl....

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Im pretty sure thats not legal and plus I dont really see a plus side from it...we need to bite the bullet and put our prospects where they most deserve to be...I dont want anymore grigs situations...send zads and reinhardt back unless they blow minds....I think risto is here to stay and mccabe is down but he will be amazing in the ahl....

I'm pretty sure it's not legal either but the player's do get a free year of CIS schooling for every season played in the CHL. I would imagine their is some stipulation that says they would have to be no longer CHL eligible before exercising that option but I would be interested in knowing for sure.

As for the plus side it would be adding the needed muscle and strength that will be required for playing in the NHL. A shorter schedule means more gym time. It's no secret that a lot of NCAA player's are more physically developed than their CHL counter parts. Partly due to being older before they turn pro but the shorter schedule and more gym time play's a part in that as well.

If Reinhart isn't ready for the NHL and juniors is too easy for him(what'd he have over 100 pts as a draft eligible player this year?..almost a ppg as a 16yo and over a ppg as a 17yo) then this allows him to add muscle and still play some competitive hockey.

The other plus side would be getting them into the AHL sooner as the CIS season ends earlier.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Eh...

I have no doubt at all that he'll finish the season on the Sabres roster full-time (likely for good). However, starting the whole group of grigs,armia,risto down in roch together can help to build that bond between guys that I expect should be part of the core of our time in a few years.

If Ristolainen shows without question that he can't possibly be sent down, then keep him up. But most likely, he'll be ok (from a dev standpoint) with 30-40 rochester games. He'll only get to develop once...and he'll have the next 10-15 years to be an impactful Sabre...

I agree he would be fine developmentally if he started in Rochester for the first half. But I think he is ready, and I also think the blueline corps at the NHL level could use a guy like him, even at this early young stage.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I don't think it's exactly in CIS's interest to start poaching CHL players nor is it in the interest of top CHL players to go play in CIS instead of the CHL, regardless of what would actually be allowed. Canadian college hockey has a significantly lower talent level than the CHL (even if they are older) or the NCAA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad