Who goes to Rochester and who stays?

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
The Sabres certainly have difficult decision to make this year at training camp. Gain some of your youth NHL experience or left them gets quality minutes and playing in key situations in Rochester.

You get to play TM for a day, which Amerks eligible players stay and which ones go?

Personally, I can't lose sight of the goal, which is to get that top 2 pick. Therefore, Ristolainen and McCabe get sent down. Pysyk has earned his roster spot with the big club, he stays. Ruhwedel has to stays but I could see him and Ristolainen switching. You need 7 NHL defenders.

Larsson needs to play, therefore, I think he goes down. Armia and Grigorenko must go down and play together.

Deslauriers stays he adds a lot to that 3rd/4th line role however I could see him back in Rochester too.

The two key junior guys:
Reinhart is a Sabre this year. Zadarov is a tough decision but for me 30 minutes a night is better than 12/14. Wish he could go to the Amerks but he's back in juniors.

I'm sure there are lots of opinions on this topic, letsvhear some.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Risto, Grigo, Armia and McCabe in Rochester. Pysyk, Des and Larsson up. Reinhart in Buffalo if he looks ready, although I would like to send him to the WJC during the season.

Zadorov still has a lot to learn in juniors. He has a lot to work on, most importantly his consistency. A lot of London fans were pissed with his performance in the playoffs, although most of the Knights were pretty bad, possibly because of the huge layoff.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
From most to least likely to make the team: Larsson, Ristolainen, McCabe, Grigorenko, and Armia probably all wind up in Rochester to start. The forward spots are limited with the signings and Deslauriers (see below).

Pysyk makes the team. He's ready and the team needs another defenseman. Deslauriers makes the team, largely due to not being waiver exempt. He was one half of the return in that deal. Murray will not lose him for nothing. He's also ready to contribute in the bottom 9 of this squad, brings toughness and a big body, as well as the ability and willingness to put the puck on net.

Non-AHL eligibles: Reinhart makes the team, I'd say with at least 90% certainty at this point. Zadorov does not -- maybe a 20% chance for him.

ZeroPT*

Risto,McCabe,Larsson,Grigo,Armia,Deslauriers and Ruhwedel go to the Amerks
Reinhart stays, goes to the WJC. Zadorov goes back because he still needs to work on a lot.

And to your needing 7 NHL D-men point..
We have Myers,Pysyk,Mez,Weber,Gorges so far. I think Ruh in the A is good for both the Amerks and for him, It's easy to pick up 2 tank commanders on the back-end on 1 year deals or pick up someone via wiavers

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
On D I think Pysyk and Risto are in Buffalo. Deslauriers and possibly Larson up front. A few guys need to make the jump this year because we dont want 8 rookies in next years line up.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Risto,McCabe,Larsson,Grigo,Armia,Deslauriers and Ruhwedel go to the Amerks
Reinhart stays, goes to the WJC. Zadorov goes back because he still needs to work on a lot.

And to your needing 7 NHL D-men point..
We have Myers,Pysyk,Mez,Weber,Gorges so far. I think Ruh in the A is good for both the Amerks and for him, It's easy to pick up 2 tank commanders on the back-end on 1 year deals or pick up someone via wiavers

No way they risk losing Deslauriers on waivers. He's up.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Larsson, Deslauriers, Reinhart with the big club.

Grigo, Armia, Risto, Zadorov all go down. I hate to see zadorov go to juniors BUT i think one more season of "seasoning" would truly help him. I don't know how much it'll help him being in juniors, but playing big minutes for a good team in all situations will help. I don't want him to be a part of the mess that is the Buffalo sabres 2014-15 season. I shall give explanations to why I personally believe they should each go down:
- Zadorov - as I just mentioned
- Risto - I think starting the year in the AHL would be good for him. I believe that he'll be the first call up as soon as a defensemen goes down, or a d-man gets traded (ex: meszaros at the deadline to a contender or something). Plus, he doesn't really help the tank :/ Key is to reallyyyy stink at the beginning of the year
- Grigo - I believe he's going to break out in the AHL this season. Let's have him work on his overall game more and continue to get better and better, he'll be a call up after the deadline as well. I'd also like to see him play in the ahl playoffs and get as many games as possible under his belt there. It's only going to benefit him. If he breaks out, he's up with the big club next season for sure :)
- Armia - He needs to prove this season he can be a really good scoring winger, I think playing with Grigo will help him. But he needs to get better in his overall game. I believe he has the ability to, but I will wait and see on him.

these 4 players i just mentioned are all a big part of the organization moving forward. whether they're players (which i prefer) or trade chips. I don't see the point of rushing any of them if they're borderline nhl ready or not, i don't expect the team to be very good this season at all. Why make them go through that horrible losing. Playing big minutes in the AHL and juniors (in zadorov's case) will be extremely beneficial for them so that they can grow their game. No need to rush them this season, wait till the trade deadline to call them up, or have them play out the season and make them even hungrier for next season to get a roster spot :)

Bps21*

Reinhart, Deslauriers, Pysyk up for sure.

Larsson maybe

Ristolainen maybe not, to start

Grigorenko, Armia, McCabe down

Zadorov in Jrs. Stupid rule. They give you the business about developing your young guys properly and then force you to play them over their head in the NHL or under their level in Jrs.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Most likely two of the Pysyk, Risto and Ruh stays up, because McBain wasn't qualified and they obtainded Strachan, a righty. And they might rotate the one spot in Roch between those three, but most likely it will be rotated bewteen Ruh and Risto.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
As for the OP and the roster...

Foligno-ennis-Stafford
Hodgson-Girgensons-Stewart
Moulson-Reinhart-Gionta
Deslauriers-McComick-Flynn
Mitchel, Kaleta

I do think Baptiste will get 5 games or so with Buffalo before getting sent down
If Reinhart doesnt stick Larsson comes up and replaces him

they arent going to carry #13 and 14 as young players---they will sent the young players to Rochester.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Who do people think will be on waivers and sent to Rochester come opening night? Mitchell, Kaleta, Ellis, Deslauriers, Flynn, McCormick, Larsson

Larsson may start the year in ROC because he's waiver exempt, McCormick will be in Buffalo, they just signed him, so maybe 1/2 (depending on Reinhart and Zadorov) of Kaleta, Mitchell, Ellis, Deslauriers will have to be in Rochester to start the year.
Ellis would be my first guess but the second is very difficult.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Who do people think will be on waivers and sent to Rochester come opening night? Mitchell, Kaleta, Ellis, Deslauriers, Flynn, McCormick, Larsson

Larsson may start the year in ROC because he's waiver exempt, McCormick will be in Buffalo, they just signed him, so maybe 1/2 (depending on Reinhart and Zadorov) of Kaleta, Mitchell, Ellis, Deslauriers will have to be in Rochester to start the year.

Hopefully 2 of Ellis,Flynn or Mitchell. (Or Mitchell traded)

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

This is really hard to guess.

- Mitchell could be a causality if they really want certain guys to stay up
- Kaleta could be a causality because there's no way anyone claims him so it would be an easier decision
- Ellis definitely
- Deslauriers maybe but they might be worried about him being claimed
- Flynn will probably be a numbers causality
- McCormick signed a 3 year deal for $1.5M/season, no freaking way he starts in Rochester
- Larsson probably, but he has the best chance to make case for himself. Team is still weak at center.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I don't like Flynn, send him down. He should not be a regular on a NHL franchise. I would prefer Kaleta, Deslauriers, Larsson and McCormick to rotate on the 4th line, but maybe it would be best for Larsson to get 20 mins a night as our #1 center in Rochester. I never want to see Matt Ellis play another game as a Buffalo Sabre. The guy is a bum and we have a lot better (younger) options to give ice time too then a career AHL/13th forward tweener like Ellis.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Based on depth, it would appear as of now that Ellis, Larsson, Grigorenko, Dalpe, and Armia start in Rochester. If Reinhart makes Buffalo, 1 of Deslauriers/Flynn/Kaleta also goes down.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Based on depth, it would appear as of now that Ellis, Larsson, Grigorenko, Dalpe, and Armia start in Rochester. If Reinhart makes Buffalo, 1 of Deslauriers/Flynn/Kaleta also goes down.

They don't have to go down if Rienhart makes the team.

Moulson/Ennis/Stafford
Hodgson/Girgs/Stewart
Foligno/Reinhart/Gionta
Deslauriers/McCormcik/Mitchell
Flynn/Kaleta

And if Reinhart doesn't make the team there is a good chance Larsson stays up

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Between Deslauriers and Flynn, I have to imagine they'd rather expose Flynn to waivers. That's not to say one of the two must be sent down, but if that's what it comes down to...

Kaleta might well end up on waivers, though I hope he makes and deserves to make the team. I imagine he'd clear, like he did last year.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Between Deslauriers and Flynn, I have to imagine they'd rather expose Flynn to waivers. That's not to say one of the two must be sent down, but if that's what it comes down to...

Kaleta might well end up on waivers, though I hope he makes and deserves to make the team. I imagine he'd clear, like he did last year.

Agree on the first part. On the second... Well, I'm not so sure. I'd imagine a couple of teams would be interested in Kaleta, although last year snatching him would have resulted in a lot of bad press. If Kaleta is still useful, I wouldn't risk it. If not, well, then it doesn't matter.

I'd send Flynn to Rochester, keeping D-Lo and Kaleta in Buffalo for starters.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Wondering if some of the young kids push for time, does Deslauriers become possibly a late year waiver demotion? Wouldn't shock the hell out of me, though probably unlikely.

Just wanted to go on record to state it as an option, even if a very unlikely one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad