Who gets the final playoff spot in the North?

Who gets the final playoff spot in the North?

• Total voters

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wanted to throw Vancouver in there to but it's not going to happen, Montreal has 5 games in hand Calgary has 3 games in hand it's a 2 horse race, in fact Ottawa has a shot at catching Vancouver at this point.

So which team gets it?

Calgary or Montreal?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
2 horse race? Are you kidding? There's ~35-40 games remaining. None of Oilers or Jets are safe. And Canucks are certainly not out yet either. Lots of hockey left to play.

Between these 2 teams I think Habs are more likely to qualify. But outside of Toronto at the top, and Ottawa who lacks talent to make a run - every other team is still in the race for playoffs.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
2 horse race? Are you kidding? There's ~35-40 games remaining. None of Oilers or Jets are safe. And Canucks are certainly not out yet either. Lots of hockey left to play.

Between these 2 teams I think Habs are more likely to qualify. But outside of Toronto at the top, and Ottawa who lacks talent to make a run - every other team is still in the race for playoffs.

I get but Montreal is 4 points ahead with 5 games in hand, Calgary is only 2 points ahead but they have 3 games in hand that's a lot especially in Montreal's case they would have to COMPLETELY collapse, as much as I would love to see a Toronto VS Vancouver 1st round I don't realistically see Montreal collapsing to that extent

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Forwards and (currently) goaltending favour the flames so I’ll go with them

Montreal could get out of this slump and win a bunch of games but as of now I’d take the flames

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
If the last 2 weeks are any indication, the sens may not be out of it yet

Voted Montreal, it really does look like a clear top 3 at the moment

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
upload_2021-2-26_10-40-29.png

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

Other than the argument of "anything can happen" what has you suggesting that Winnipeg isn't a top 3 Canadian team in the division?

Arguably one of the best forward groups in the league with arguably the best goalie in the league

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Other than the argument of "anything can happen" what has you suggesting that Winnipeg isn't a top 3 Canadian team in the division?

Arguably one of the best forward groups in the league with arguably the best goalie in the league

To the bolded - nothing. That's my point, we're too early in the year. Vancouver looked great after playoffs. Habs started great. Calgary supposed to be better.

Toronto has distance itself at the top already, so they seem like a pretty safe bet for playoffs. Every other team is simply too close to call, as it's too early in the season. I'm not picking on Jets per se.

Reactions: hn777

Canadianhero

Jan 16, 2021
Ottawa will get the final spot.
Montreal, Calgary, and Vancouver will be on the outs.
Toronto 1st
Jets 2nd
Edmonton 3rd
Ottawa 4th
Calgary 5th
Montreal 6th
Vancouver 7th
Book it.

Reactions: hn777

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa

Agreed - even the Senators have won 5 of their last 7 and are not out of the playoff race by any stretch now that their coaching staff is playing their roster properly.

Will they make it? Likely not, but it's certainly possible: especially since every game against is worth 4 points (outside of Toronto, who is a lock).

Reactions: majormajor

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
OTT still has a shot if CGY, VAN and MTL keep slippin.
Jets are pretty much the only team safe. EDM and TML can still crash n burn out of top 4

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Too close to call.

At the beginning of the season I would have projected...
Leafs
Oilers
Flames
Jets
Canadiens
Canucks
Sens

Now...

Leafs
Oilers
Jets
Flames ... by a nose over the...