Proposal: Who gets moved?

Which Blackhawk(s) do you expect to be moved by the NHL trade deadline?

• Patrick Kane pending UFA

Votes: 35 54.7%
  • Jonathan Toews pending UFA

Votes: 38 59.4%
  • Max Domi pending UFA

Votes: 35 54.7%
  • Andreas Athanasiou pending UFA

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • Jack Johnson pending UFA

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Alex Stalock pending UFA

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Jarred Tinordi pending UFA

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Jujhar Khaira pending UFA

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Philipp Kurashev pending RFA

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Caleb Jones pending RFA

• Ian Mitchell pending RFA

• Jason Dickinson

• Tyler Johnson

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Sam Lafferty

Votes: 41 64.1%
  • Colin Blackwell

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Taylor Raddysh

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Mackenzie Entwistle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reese Johnson

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Boris Katchouk

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Seth Jones

• Jake McCabe

Votes: 48 75.0%
  • Connor Murphy

• Petr Mrazek

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Ice Hogs

• Total voters

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
agree with: mitchell should be playing more Jack johnson should be playing less but one is LD and 1 is RD.
you cannot retain on a contract for 7 years. And seth is our best player at this point and for at least the next 2 you have tons of cap space. I would not shut kane down at this point unless he requests it. he (other then last night ) was playing better. I also would not extend him at this point. let him test the market and if it makes sense in the off season to bring him back do it then. to much can happen between now and then. I think the market will show his value is not as high as his agent thinks.
I think we move. I think we move 7 of this list: Kane Teows domi AA, Johnson Mcabe mitchel Lafferty and RAddisyh. Radisyh and lafferty have to have more value to someone them us. with the Cap flat next year those contracts would look great on a contender. and would upgrade most teams bottom 6.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
The ideal scenario is both Toews and Kaner are traded for a good haul ( at least as good as we can get given the circumstances ) and then both come back to finish off with a 3 year team friendly deal ( same rate for each given that's just the way it has been for them and why change now ).

You aren’t getting anything for Toews. Maybe kane can get you a late first

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Leads the league in faceoff wins, Cup "leadership" Gm's can't seem to clean off their chins fast enough, productive at his historic norms (50-60 point pace) on a putrid team, sound defensively....all the things contenders pay a premium for in a couple of weeks. Unlesss Toews pigeon holes us into only a specific destination with his NMC, he is bringing at the least a 2nd and B+ prospect. Several teams out there could use him as their #2 center and at worst if he is your #3, you have a pretty loaded team and are going deep.

He ain't worth the 10.5 (honestly never really was) he makes, but don;t mistake that with him not being a useful player still.

Reactions: LavalPhantom

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
50% retained on Toews should net us a 2nd I would think minimally or a late first with some salary taken back. Kaner should garner us a late 1st and an A- to B+ prospect. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :DD

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I find it a bit overly dramatic and strange that T and K are waiting to the last minute to decide. Not like they haven't known this was coming for roughly a year or so. And it is only for 3-4 months max. I (along with tens of thousands of others)were stationed for a few years overseas without PJs to fly me around or back home. I am sure they will survive. Oh the horror lol!

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
assuming teows comes back and looks healthy I think there value is roughly the same. guys that can win draws, play D and chip in goals (IE 3rd line centers on a contender) have as much value as a 2nd line scoring wing that is not not good DEF and cannot PK. I think basically a 2024 1st for both.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Voted AA, Ian Mitchell, Reese Johnson, Boris Katchouk, McCabe, Lafferty, Blackwell

I think Domi stays and I think Kane and Toews both stay.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I find it a bit overly dramatic and strange that T and K are waiting to the last minute to decide. Not like they haven't known this was coming for roughly a year or so. And it is only for 3-4 months max. I (along with tens of thousands of others)were stationed for a few years overseas without PJs to fly me around or back home. I am sure they will survive. Oh the horror lol!
They are not waiting as much as the Hawks can't trade them now with their cap hit and the cap space most teams that would be interested in them have available. Each game played between now and the deadline has a signifiacnt reduction in cap implications making it easier for an acquiring team to fit their cap hits (even with retention....those are numbers). Kane nor Toews because of their contracts will not move until the deadline (or maybe with a game or two left to play before) and there is ZERO benefit to announcing you are moving them. The players don't want the nonstop daily speculation that would create (ramped up from what they currently get exponentially).

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
They are not waiting as much as the Hawks can't trade them now with their cap hit and the cap space most teams that would be interested in them have available. Each game played between now and the deadline has a signifiacnt reduction in cap implications making it easier for an acquiring team to fit their cap hits (even with retention....those are numbers). Kane nor Toews because of their contracts will not move until the deadline (or maybe with a game or two left to play before) and there is ZERO benefit to announcing you are moving them. The players don't want the nonstop daily speculation that would create (ramped up from what they currently get exponentially).
I get that. I am more mentioning T and K making up their mind than the salary cap stuff. If they had decided earlier a trade could have been constructed waiting on the right time. Them still not having made up their mind leads teams to look elsewhere when they are ready aka Rangers.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
The way they've dicked Mitchell around this year is inexcusable. If they don't think he's great he should be playing to help us tank. If they think he's not ready still roll him out and let him learn on the fly or on the a. Having him in the stands is dumb.
I would try like hell to get rid of Seth Jones. His contract is only going to get worse. I'd eat 2 mil a year to ship him off. Caleb Jones is only on the lineup for us to lose. Same with Jack Johnson. We should have sheltered him more so he has trade value.
I'd shut Kane down for surgery and resign him. Trade anybody else that has value. Pray for Bedard or one of the top picks. Spent smart next year and try to be competitive and mean. This year I knew we would suck. Wish we had more toughness, give us something to cheer about. Having a couple enforcers over entwistle katchouck blackwell would ensure no liberties taken, and entertaining while sucking. At least be hard to play against.
You asked Eddie for examples. I’ll give it a shot.

A) They see Mitchell as a 7th/8th Dman but have several kids they feel have more NHL upside that need the time in Rockford. Used to be some teams would have a guy like him run the PP and get almost no ES ice time. Now nearly all teams have a top pair guy on the #1 PP.
personally I think Mitchell has played better the few weeks. I’m sure they don’t just have him eating nachos. They likely talk about what he saw from above.

B) Seth Jones is a #1 Dman. (32 of them)
Whether he ranks 12th or 32nd is a legit question but he’s a one. I’m not sure how his contract gets worse. IIRC there were 2 Dmen making 9mill or more when he signed. I believe there are 5 now and as the cap rises salaries in his range will be the norm. By year 4 or 5 expect at least 30 making 9 mill. You would be a joke to be eating 2 mill. He’s also a quality person, you have a lot of kids to run through the ranks over the next 2-3 years.

C) Caleb Jones is not as good as Mitchell offensively but he’s not awful (for a 3rd pair guy). He is however significantly better than Mitchell defensively (it’s not close). He’s a place holder and doing fine at it (as a 3rd pair on a tanking team).

D) Johnson is what he is. Nothing has changed because of this season. He plays sparingly on a winner. Nobody wanted him. He signed for the minimum which matches his minimal value.

E) You don’t control where Kane re-signs and shutting him down against his wishes would be a pr nightmare. Especially since we’re aware he has had the issue for years and he laughed it off (hurts less than last year).

F) it takes 2 (and sometimes 3 - the player) for trades to happen.

G) asking for help from make believe ghosts is silly. I one existed why would it help you and let the Leafs lose for 50 years?

H) I’m pro fighting but exactly what top rate talent will enforcers be defending?

I) you develop talent at the bottom of the lineup as well. (Personal opinion) 1/2 the reason Entwistle looks bad is he’s a “potential” 4th liner playing 2nd & 3rd line much of the time.
But more important, (again I’m pro fighting) if you derive joy from the fights knowing the goons will always get the extra minor I question if you know how players develop. Personally I don’t want to see them shorthanded 1 to 3 more times per game and which guys are you putting out to absorb the retribution?

J) I think in most games the Hawks are tough to play against. They have no/minimal talent but they play hard, forecheck in earnest with mixed result (do to lack of overall talent).
But I guess you f you’re only watching for the fights that’s not enough.

The team is about where I thought it would be like n October and considering Kane’s status that’s not bad.

How did I do?

The way they've dicked Mitchell around this year is inexcusable. If they don't think he's great he should be playing to help us tank. If they think he's not ready still roll him out and let him learn on the fly or on the a. Having him in the stands is dumb.
I would try like hell to get rid of Seth Jones. His contract is only going to get worse. I'd eat 2 mil a year to ship him off. Caleb Jones is only on the lineup for us to lose. Same with Jack Johnson. We should have sheltered him more so he has trade value.
I'd shut Kane down for surgery and resign him. Trade anybody else that has value. Pray for Bedard or one of the top picks. Spent smart next year and try to be competitive and mean. This year I knew we would suck. Wish we had more toughness, give us something to cheer about. Having a couple enforcers over entwistle katchouck blackwell would ensure no liberties taken, and entertaining while sucking. At least be hard to play against.

Last edited:
Reactions: Giovi

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I get that. I am more mentioning T and K making up their mind than the salary cap stuff. If they had decided earlier a trade could have been constructed waiting on the right time. Them still not having made up their mind leads teams to look elsewhere when they are ready aka Rangers.
The rangers noted the higher price for Kane. It’s also rumored a team has a deal in place.

Kane wants to make sure his destination has a legit shot of winning. Injuries happen, if Panarin goes down for the year tomorrow what are Tarasenko’s chances of a cup?

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
The rangers noted the higher price for Kane. It’s also rumored a team has a deal in place.

Kane wants to make sure his destination has a legit shot of winning. Injuries happen, if Panarin goes down for the year tomorrow what are Tarasenko’s chances of a cup?
were are those rumors?

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
agree with: mitchell should be playing more Jack johnson should be playing less but one is LD and 1 is RD.
you cannot retain on a contract for 7 years. And seth is our best player at this point and for at least the next 2 you have tons of cap space. I would not shut kane down at this point unless he requests it. he (other then last night ) was playing better. I also would not extend him at this point. let him test the market and if it makes sense in the off season to bring him back do it then. to much can happen between now and then. I think the market will show his value is not as high as his agent thinks.
JJ won’t be here much longer

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Leads the league in faceoff wins, Cup "leadership" Gm's can't seem to clean off their chins fast enough, productive at his historic norms (50-60 point pace) on a putrid team, sound defensively....all the things contenders pay a premium for in a couple of weeks. Unlesss Toews pigeon holes us into only a specific destination with his NMC, he is bringing at the least a 2nd and B+ prospect. Several teams out there could use him as their #2 center and at worst if he is your #3, you have a pretty loaded team and are going deep.

He ain't worth the 10.5 (honestly never really was) he makes, but don;t mistake that with him not being a useful player still.

He’s not healthy and not good and you can’t just trade him anywhere. Maybe a third

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Domi and Lafferty to Edmonton for Puljujarvi Foegel and 1st
Kane at 50% to Carolina for 1st
McCabe at 50% to Toronto for 1st
Toews at 50% to Colorado for 3rd
Anthanasiou to Boston for 4th

Resign Domi 5mil for 3 years
Sign Gavrikov 5 million 4 years
Future Considerations for Mantha and 3rd

Reichel-Domi-Mantha
Kurashev-Johnson-Puljujarvi
Blackwell-Dickinson-Raddysh
Katchouk-Entwistle-Foegele
Johnson

Gavrikov-Jones
Jones-Murphy
Johnson-Mitchell

Mrazek
Stauber

Another top 3 pick.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
You can’t build a big enough shelter to ensure Jack Johnson has trade value. In my opinion he is the worst player on this team which is no easy feat and he may very well be the worst player on an NHL deal. He makes me yearn for the glory days of Nikita Zadorov.

Otto31

Nov 24, 2013
I would be very surprised if we ended up landing three more first round picks. It would be enough to compensate what Davidson got in return for the Debrincat's trade.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I would be very surprised if we ended up landing three more first round picks. It would be enough to compensate what Davidson got in return for the Debrincat's trade.
I guess we can see waht san jose gets meier. that is going to be a big Comp for CAT. top 10 pick a high 2nd and 4th.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018

Dater is always iffy at best. However, with Toews being “sick” and now on IR, this doesn’t shock me. Perhaps his fatigue issue is back, or being made worse by something else. At this point, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him retire at the end of the season. He really doesn’t look like he has anything left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad