Player Discussion Who gets moved before July 1st?

Who's gone

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Dubnyk for Rinne? I think Rinne's reputation took a hit from his playoff performance, and he might need a change of scenery. Don't know how I feel about it. Rinne used to be, IMO , one of the top 3 goalies in the league. Don't know what he is now.
Looks like he has one year left at 7 million. I've always thought Rinne was a bit overrated, but there's no doubt he was fantastic in last year's playoffs.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was gonna let this slide, but you had to add the Kessel bit. That trade better come with anger management courses.
I can just imagine how this trade would look 4 years down the road, when Kessel is a shadow of himself, Nino is a legit top 6 player, and KK is a star in the NHL.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm certainly not going to argue in favor or it. Just what I think is going to happen.
Oh I know, and I agree with you. If Kessel's available he's exactly the sort of thing I'd expect a new GM to go after. And I can lie to myself and say that the price will be reasonable, but the guy put up 92 points last year. It'll be bad.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I can just imagine how this trade would look 4 years down the road, when Kessel is a shadow of himself, Nino is a legit top 6 player, and KK is a star in the NHL.
In some sense it'd be better than Leddy for Barker in that Kessel would, I think, at least be quite a good player for a year or two. But long term it has the potential to look much, much worse.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Oh I know, and I agree with you. If Kessel's available he's exactly the sort of thing I'd expect a new GM to go after. And I can lie to myself and say that the price will be reasonable, but the guy put up 92 points last year. It'll be bad.

92 points and two recent Conn Smythe worthy playoff runs. For a team that has seen very good regular season players go silent in the playoffs for most of the last 6 years, that will trade defense argument #1A.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Dubnyk seems like a good bet too. Possibly the most tradeable key Fletcher piece. And when he goes on a months-long incontinence bender it's a lot bigger deal than Coyle burying himself in The Cure vinyl or whatever the f***.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
All depends on what happens during those 4 years, I suppose.
At least with the Vanek deal, we didn't have to give up anything but money. If we are going to give that up, then I'd rather get Nylander from TOR, a player that would help us for years to come. And I'm not sure I want to do that.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I'm not saying I want to do the trade but Nino and KK for Kessel would be a helluva deal for a first time GM. 4 years from now? Who knows but KK is a huge "if" today. I think the real question is whether there is enough reliable skill on this team currently to make Kessel look good.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm not saying I want to do the trade but Nino and KK for Kessel would be a helluva deal for a first time GM. 4 years from now? Who knows but KK is a huge "if" today. I think the real question is whether there is enough reliable skill on this team currently to make Kessel look good.
I think Kessel could be good for 70-75 points on this team, at least for the next year or two. Beyond that it's hard to say but it's usually safe to say that you'll see a drop in performance from forwards around 33.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don't see us moving a defenseman unless we get one or two back. Soucy and Seeler need time in the AHL. Olofsson proved undependable (and possibly a bust). Losing Folin and Scandella proved costly for Minnesota, especially since Quincy proved to be a major failure. The only player I can see them entertaining a thought of moving is Dumba and that's only if he becomes too hard to sign back (at 7-8 million a season, which I can see happening given he was in the top 20 for points and top 15 for goals for defensemen). On the offensive side, it's hard to think about - but Zucker and el Nino could be seen as movable. Coyle, I have a hard time - but given Koivu's stubbornness and the fact we don't have a great place for him, he could be seen as movable, but that would kill Minnesota as he's the only right-handed shot we have on this team. If Bordeau had his way, Coyle would be the 2nd line center - which leaves Koivu on the 3rd or 4th line. But he refuses to do that, so -...

Staal could be seen as a deadline deal. The big one for me is Granlund. He's had fantastic back to back years, but his value is huge. I could see that as a shakeup this team needs. But probably not. We'll probably continue shuffling around the 3rd or 4th lines, dumping players when their value is the lowest and not getting anything significant back. Who knows? But this'll be Fenton's big test.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Someone we're going to regret lol
Russo had some passing thoughts in his The Athletic article on this subject about Granlund and Spurgeon that made me think. I love both those players, but some teams would pay a lot to get them. Oilers come to mind.

Would Fenton and Chia entertain a trade of Spurgeon + Granlund for LD + Bear?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Russo had some passing thoughts in his The Athletic article on this subject about Granlund and Spurgeon that made me think. I love both those players, but some teams would pay a lot to get them. Oilers come to mind.

I like Draisaitl and everything but this is getting a little nuts.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015

Spurgeon + Granlund + Staal for McDavid :naughty:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

WTF?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
are we really going to have another offseason where people throw out absolutely ridiculous ideas involving the Oilers?

Please try to remember that there are now 30! other teams to fantasize about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille