Who does Seattle end up with from Tampa?

Who does Seattle end up with from Tampa?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
The worst case scenario for Tampa is Seattle selecting Colton IMO.

I don't want to lose Colton, but I've got to think he's worth less on the open market than any of the vets (other than Johnson) that we're looking to move to clear cap.

That is, if Seattle took Colton, I'm thinking we could flip Gourde for some assets, and then turn around and spend less assets on a Colton-equivalent replacement (24 year old with a realistic projection as a 3rd liner).

In other words, we'd come out ahead if they take Colton.

Which of course makes it highly unlikely that Seattle wouldn't just take Gourde.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I like Colton and hate to lose him but his latent talent isn't as high as Joseph and he has a small sample size of success here. I think Joseph would be the better choice for them if reports that they don't like Foote are correct and they aren't interested in our pricier forwards.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If you buy into that stuff, Johnson posted a highlight compilation of himself about this Cup run on his Instagram last night. Make of that what you will.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't want to lose Colton, but I've got to think he's worth less on the open market than any of the vets (other than Johnson) that we're looking to move to clear cap.

That is, if Seattle took Colton, I'm thinking we could flip Gourde for some assets, and then turn around and spend less assets on a Colton-equivalent replacement (24 year old with a realistic projection as a 3rd liner).

In other words, we'd come out ahead if they take Colton.

Which of course makes it highly unlikely that Seattle wouldn't just take Gourde.

If Seattle passes on Gourde we can't flip him he has a solid NTC this summer and next.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
I am sad. He was truly a special player. I would have laughed if they took foote, and I was hoping on that slim chance they would be so stupid to pick foote over gourde.

Can't write Foote off yet. He was actually good other than being slow.

But if its true and Gourde goes he will be missed. But the cap savings is needed. Gonna have to let some cheap kids play.

U55

Apr 9, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Can't write Foote off yet. He was actually good other than being slow.

But if its true and Gourde goes he will be missed. But the cap savings is needed. Gonna have to let some cheap kids play.
I have already written foote off. I might be wrong and hope I am, but IMO he's a bust.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I understand that McD is valuable, but is he more valuable than the entire 3rd line the team has had the past two years? Now maybe Seattle wouldn't have taken him and of course Goodrow wanted a lot(and who knows about what Coleman is thinking), but not even having the chance to keep any of them in favor of keeping McD is a big blow. I hope McD keeps up his current level of play for several more years, because protecting and keeping him is coming at a very large cost to the F group.

Lumination

Oct 13, 2020
I understand that McD is valuable, but is he more valuable than the entire 3rd line the team has had the past two years? Now maybe Seattle wouldn't have taken him and of course Goodrow wanted a lot(and who knows about what Coleman is thinking), but not even having the chance to keep any of them in favor of keeping McD is a big blow. I hope McD keeps up his current level of play for several more years, because protecting and keeping him is coming at a very large cost to the F group.

Losing a 3rd line center to expansion isn't the worst thing ever. Keeping the defense largely intact isn't bad either. Top 2 lines remain the same. For now.

I see your point about the 3rd line, but Goodrow was never going to re-sign here. And there might still be a chance with Coleman, maybe. Going to have to see what other moves can be made post ED. Palat/Johnson/Killorn etc...

Keeping Gourde as the center of THAT line is one thing. But keeping Gourde without BG and BC over Mcd I wouldn't have liked.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Obviously it'll hurt but it won't keep us out of the playoffs and we can make moves at the trade deadline again if needed after the kids get an extended audition.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Obviously it'll hurt but it won't keep us out of the playoffs and we can make moves at the trade deadline again if needed after the kids get an extended audition.

Def won't keep us out of the playoffs, but the grit/hustle/tenacity of those 3 players, two of which were being underpaid, were a major factor in us going from being swept in the 1st round to multiple Cups.

It's going to be extremely difficult to replicate that.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Def won't keep us out of the playoffs, but the grit/hustle/tenacity of those 3 players, two of which were being underpaid, were a major factor in us going from being swept in the 1st round to multiple Cups.

It's going to be extremely difficult to replicate that.
Well I prefer to focus on what we can do rather than just lamenting the losses. We don't have to replicate it perfectly in order to be successful. There's more than one formula to a cup.

Reactions: Shoresy Snipes

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015

Mac is playing up to, and beyond, his cap hit. His contract isn't the problem, there are a couple of other players who aren't playing up to their salary who need to go.

If we left Mac exposed it would have been a signal we're closing our own window.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
Mac is playing up to, and beyond, his cap hit. His contract isn't the problem, there are a couple of other players who aren't playing up to their salary who need to go.

If we left Mac exposed it would have been a signal we're closing our own window.

The protected list could all be a farce. Maybe they said they want Gourde and in exchange they’ll take Johnson

UKLightning

Aug 19, 2020
Still won back to back cups and no one can ever take that away. Of course a threepeat would be spectacular but it's unlikely any team pulls that off in a flat cap world, but there's still a chance for the bolts this year

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Well I prefer to focus on what we can do rather than just lamenting the losses. We don't have to replicate it perfectly in order to be successful. There's more than one formula to a cup.

I'm just being realistic about what we have right now. We lost all 3 players that made up arguably the most praised line in hockey the past 2 playoffs. Killorn just had a rod inserted in his leg. Stamkos is a $8.5M paper weight come playoff time. Palat needs a bounce back season before I have any confidence in him. And then we'll need like 3-4 replacements to be solid.

I'm just saying I have my reservations given all of the above.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I'm just being realistic about what we have right now. We lost all 3 players that made up arguably the most praised line in hockey the past 2 playoffs. Killorn just had a rod inserted in his leg. Stamkos is a $8.5M paper weight come playoff time. Palat needs a bounce back season before I have any confidence in him. And then we'll need like 3-4 replacements to be solid.

I'm just saying I have my reservations given all of the above.
Yeah but this was always going to happen. We still have the #1 goalie, #1 defenseman and #1 winger in the game on the team. Sprinkle in some Point, McD and Stamkos and that’s still one hell of a team - just not the juggernaut we are used to.

Reactions: Shoresy Snipes

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Damn, Spotrac isn't wasting any time. They've already removed Gourde from our roster and have him listed on Seattle's roster. Will be kind of funny if sources were wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad