Who does Seattle end up with from Tampa?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
With the protection lists due to be submitted by 5pm EST. today and the lists themselves published tomorrow at 10am EST.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
If JBB is smart he goes 7-3-1 and protect Stamkos, Point, Kuch, Cirelli, Gourde, Colton, Joseph, Hedman, Sergy, Cernak, Vasy. that leaves Palat, Killorn, Johnson, Maroon, McDonagh, Rutta as the signed guys that can be exposed, there is the chance they take a UFA like Coleman or Goodrow but unlikely. Helps us move some cap now before making a trade and get some positive value back for someone. Probably see a side deal with Johnson going to Seattle in exchange for a pick and prospect kinda like Garrison last ED.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
I hate to say it, but I think it's Gourde. I think we go 4/4/1 and protect McD and Cirelli. It's probably not worth whatever SEA is asking for them to take someone else over Gourde.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Voted for what I hope for haha Johnson and a little sweetener (no pick lower than 3rd), love em but would be best for his career and not losing gourde who I think would be the pick for sure. Although gourdes contract is pretty hefty for long term so may not be too bad either as much of a work horse he is. Need to keep Mcd.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
If JBB is smart he goes 7-3-1 and protect Stamkos, Point, Kuch, Cirelli, Gourde, Colton, Joseph, Hedman, Sergy, Cernak, Vasy. that leaves Palat, Killorn, Johnson, Maroon, McDonagh, Rutta as the signed guys that can be exposed, there is the chance they take a UFA like Coleman or Goodrow but unlikely. Helps us move some cap now before making a trade and get some positive value back for someone. Probably see a side deal with Johnson going to Seattle in exchange for a pick and prospect kinda like Garrison last ED.

Losing McDonagh would be far worse than some of the forwards you mentioned.

And I'm not positive but I believe FA's aren't eligible to be taken.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Losing McDonagh would be far worse than some of the forwards you mentioned.

And I'm not positive but I believe FA's aren't eligible to be taken.
I think its safe enough to leave McD exposed based on his contract and that we will have a side deal for them to take Johnson

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
FAs are eligible.

Kraken 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed

They can negotiate with FA's and sign them during a three day window, and it would count as their pick from whatever team the FA last played for. But they can't just snatch them up as their automatic pick.

"The Kraken also have an exclusive window from July 18-21 to interview and potentially sign pending free agents who were left unprotected in the expansion draft. If they sign a player in that window it counts as their pick from that players' former team."

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Don't care about future. Losing McDonagh hurts us way too much for the next couple of years to leave him unprotected. With Hedman being hurt there's absolutely zero chance we win the Cup this year without him. 4-4-1 is the way to go.

The cupboard in both the AHL and ECHL is running bare, and we keep trading draft choices for the "now" movement. Those like yourself who are pushing for the present at the cost of the future should be careful of what they wish for. It is a very long, hard fall from the top.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
The cupboard in both the AHL and ECHL is running bare, and we keep trading draft choices for the "now" movement. Those like yourself who are pushing for the present at the cost of the future should be careful of what they wish for. It is a very long, hard fall from the top.

But what is the purpose of attempting to build for the future, and hope the team one day reaches what they already are right now? To me it makes sense to squeeze every last drop out of a proven championship roster and worry about the future later. It's not guaranteed we'll reach this status again anytime soon, literally could be decades, so preparing too much for the future might not only end your current window but end up futile in the long run as well.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Kraken 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed

They can negotiate with FA's and sign them during a three day window, and it would count as their pick from whatever team the FA last played for. But they can't just snatch them up as their automatic pick.

"The Kraken also have an exclusive window from July 18-21 to interview and potentially sign pending free agents who were left unprotected in the expansion draft. If they sign a player in that window it counts as their pick from that players' former team."

Yea, the FAs have to agree to play there. But you wondered if they technically can draft a FA, and the answer is yes.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Kucherov and Hedman got like 7 years of elite hockey left in them. Point and Vasi closer to 10 years. It's not as if we're in need to have all those 1st round picks in the near future. We just need to keep adding depth to our core (which we've done for years), which is something we have done and can easily do with later draft picks.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I really want to see Johnson in Seattle though, and not just (although mostly) for selfish reasons. Really likable guy and don't forget, he was once the best forward on a Stanley Cup finalist team. Would love to see him get a fresh start and what better place to do it than an expansion team with minimal pressure close to his home.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Thanks for telling me what I was thinking.

LOL.

You said you didn't think they were eligible. And I corrected you. So not what you were thinking.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
You said you didn't think they were eligible. And I corrected you. So not what you were thinking.

tenor.gif

I was just making the distinction between drafting them, which they can't do, and signing them as a FA. Signing them as a FA counts as their pick from us, but they can't DRAFT them. They would already be a member of the team prior to the draft taking place.

It might sound like semantics, but it's not. A drafted player has no choice in the matter, a FA has to agree to go there. It's a pretty big difference.

Last edited:

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Kucherov and Hedman got like 7 years of elite hockey left in them. Point and Vasi closer to 10 years. It's not as if we're in need to have all those 1st round picks in the near future. We just need to keep adding depth to our core (which we've done for years), which is something we have done and can easily do with later draft picks.

It's also worth remembering that, in general, 1st round draft picks really haven't been a speciality for this team in recent years, which seems weird given some of the later round and undrafted hits this regime has, but so it goes. On top of that, I remember looking up 31st overall draft selections between 2003-'16 (on the hopeful basis we'd win the Cup, but I'd also wager the differences are not hugely different between, say, 28th-32nd overall picks in this time frame, either) a few months ago, and while there hasn't been a bad hit rate when it comes to goalies - three goalies were taken with that draft pick and two of them are Markstrom and Koskinen - the forward and defenseman hit rate is absolutely brutal. I don't know where that post is anymore, but I believe the key stats were that, of the 11 F's and D's taken 31st overall, their career averages were something like 68 games played, 8 goals, 7 assists. And, I mean, those are for their entire NHL careers, not just average GP/G/A per season.

So, twisted as it may sound, as long as you're playing deep into the playoffs and ending up with end-of-the-round draft picks, you're probably better off using them as trade bait, because the odds of getting anything from them is very low. I feel like the only names anyone would recognize in that time frame are Markstrom, Koskinen, Brendan Lemieux, and Toby Reider*. That's pretty much it, from what I remember.

*EDIT: Sorry, not Toby Reider, it was Tyler Pitlick I was thinking of. Check this out: NHL Players selected at the 31st draft position at hockeydb.com. I do suppose 32nd overalls are doing a bit better, with Bolland, Voynov, and Christian Fischer, but even that's only three successful picks out of 14.

Last edited:

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
I was just making the distinction between drafting them, which they can't do, and signing them as a FA. Signing them as a FA counts as their pick from us, but they can't DRAFT them. They would already be a member of the team prior to the draft taking place.

I'm pretty sure they have the ability to blindly draft UFAs on the 21st too (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Obviously that would be foolish because the UFA has no obligation to sign with them if they haven't already during the prior negotiation window or given SEA some assurance, but technically those players are "eligible" on draft day.

So maybe we're just arguing semantics (ie the distinction between being "drafted" and "signed").

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
ECHL prospects are more a matter of priority and philosophy. There's only 50 contracts an NHL team can have, so they mostly all go to the NHL or AHL. Then a decision is made on a few fringe guys. Are they better off in the press box in Syracuse getting a full AHL coaching staff, or playing in Orlando for two coaches?

Syracuse also doesn't sign a bunch of guys they'll never see.

Dubas defenders make it out like the Marlies signing dozens of guys over the years is this system to find free money, but the hit rate is incredibly low. Mason Marchment, Jack Rodewald, (for skaters) and neither even did anything for the Leafs.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
I'm pretty sure they have the ability to blindly draft UFAs on the 21st too (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Obviously that would be foolish because the UFA has no obligation to sign with them if they haven't already during the prior negotiation window or given SEA some assurance, but technically those players are "eligible" on draft day.

You could be right, "potentially sign" is a difficult phrase to make sense of. You can't force a FA to sign with you, so as you said it would be a huge gamble. That's what makes me think they aren't draft eligible, it would be such a stupid decision over taking a player in the draft who has no choice, I can't imagine it's how the rules are set up.

Who knows, I guess we'll find out.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
You could be right, "potentially sign" is a difficult phrase to make sense of. You can't force a FA to sign with you, so as you said it would be a huge gamble. That's what makes me think they aren't draft eligible, it would be such a stupid decision over taking a player in the draft who has no choice, I can't imagine it's how the rules are set up.

Yea, I was just trying to explain that UFAs are eligible in the technical sense that they're still on the table for SEA to select, even if for all intents and purposes a team would never do that.

If you meant "eligible" as in the UFA would have to sign with them...then you're correct in that they're not. But that's not how I originally interpreted it.

I think we're on the same page now lol.

Reactions: DMB06

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

That's what emotional manipulation is for.

Reactions: Stammertime91

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
ECHL prospects are more a matter of priority and philosophy. There's only 50 contracts an NHL team can have, so they mostly all go to the NHL or AHL. Then a decision is made on a few fringe guys. Are they better off in the press box in Syracuse getting a full AHL coaching staff, or playing in Orlando for two coaches?

Syracuse also doesn't sign a bunch of guys they'll never see.

Dubas defenders make it out like the Marlies signing dozens of guys over the years is this system to find free money, but the hit rate is incredibly low. Mason Marchment, Jack Rodewald, (for skaters) and neither even did anything for the Leafs.

I just remembered when the Leafs flipped Marchment for Denis Malgin, and the general consensus was that the Leafs at least got something for a nothing asset.

Since the trade:

Marchment: 39gp/4g/8a (playoffs included)
Malgin: 8/0/0 (no playoffs)

Lol.

Reactions: Felonious Python
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad