Who do you WANT?

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I think best case scenario is:

Anaheim beats L.A tonight (or loses in OT) and clinches the top spot in the Western conference. Likewise, Boston wins, so there is no incentive to get the President's trophy for Anaheim. They then have nothing to play for tomorrow, as their is no scenario in which they can be passed.

Hopefully Columbus loses to Florida tonight, so the Wings have a chance to avoid Boston by beating the Blues tomorrow. Then the Blues lose in regulation tomorrow morning to the Red Wings. So the Avs will know they have clinched the Central by about 2:30 pm central time.

If all this goes down, then tomorrow night's game is meaningless to the Avs and to the Ducks. The Avs could then rest guys, or hopefully both teams would just play to not get hurt.

I don't want Anaheim to lose tonight (unless it is in overtime), as it means top spot in the West is still up grabs. The last thing the Avs need to do is have a battle with the Ducks again.

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia
I'd love to have the Blues considering they are an empty shell of what they were due to all their injuries.

After that I'll take dallas, they just don't have the depth or superstars to keep up.

Chicago are....well Chicago and are a better team than we've made them look this year.

Wild have the like of Parise and Suter who are just a step above our younger stars.

Stars are on a similar level to us with younger inexperienced stars, they just don't have as many.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't want Anaheim to lose tonight (unless it is in overtime), as it means top spot in the West is still up grabs. The last thing the Avs need to do is have a battle with the Ducks again.

You forgot the real best case scenario: Anaheim loses tonight and STL loses tomorrow. AVS and Ducks then battle it out for the 1st place in the conference and to play Dallas, with the loser facing MN.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
You forgot the real best case scenario: Anaheim loses tonight and STL loses tomorrow. AVS and Ducks then battle it out for the 1st place in the conference and to play Dallas, with the loser facing MN.
That's exactly what I don't want to see happen. I'd rather Anaheim just make it impossible for the Avs to catch them, leaving the Avs to play the Wild, and not having to play hard tomorrow night.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
That's exactly what I don't want to see happen. I'd rather Anaheim just make it impossible for the Avs to catch them, leaving the Avs to play the Wild, and not having to play hard tomorrow night.

It would give us home ice advantage for the rest of the playoffs basically.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
I want to play the Wild. Dallas plays us well enough and has a tender that can steal the series.

Then again, I wanted the Broncos to play the SeaHawks so what do I know...

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
But the other teams are better at home than on the road... :)

The only team who would take home ice over the Avs I believe is Anaheim. The Avs and Ducks have to make it to the Conference finals for this to even be a relevant issue. Odds of this are extremely slim.

Like I said, I'd rather a pointless game tomorrow than have Anaheim coming full tilt trying to lock up the Western Conference.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The only team who would take home ice over the Avs I believe is Anaheim. The Avs and Ducks have to make it to the Conference finals for this to even be a relevant issue. Odds of this are extremely slim.

Like I said, I'd rather a pointless game tomorrow than have Anaheim coming full tilt trying to lock up the Western Conference.

We've seen what can happen in those games (see: the last game vs Pittsburgh with the top half their lineup missing).

That'd be much better if the AVS could avoid Chicago win or lose during the last game. It's not really about winning the conference since I don't really care if it's Dallas or MN, the point here is avoiding the Hawks.

Averick*

I went with Chicago. Chicago may not be the easiest match up for the Avs but, it's apparent that the Avs are a bad matchup for the Hawks even though a series win is far from a guarantee. I think the Blackhawks are a more difficult opponent but a beatable one. I expect the Avs to be more focused in a series against the defending champs than against lesser opponents. And I feel that would also better prepare them for subsequent rounds. I feel the Blackhawks have more dimension to their game and more mettle than Minn or Dallas. Over a series Chicago would be better at adjusting to Colorado, which will be important in later rounds.

Averick*

I'd love to have the Blues considering they are an empty shell of what they were due to all their injuries.

After that I'll take dallas, they just don't have the depth or superstars to keep up.

Chicago are....well Chicago and are a better team than we've made them look this year.

Wild have the like of Parise and Suter who are just a step above our younger stars.

Stars are on a similar level to us with younger inexperienced stars, they just don't have as many.

Wouldn't you rather face Chicago early rather than later in the playoffs? I'd rather that Chicago not get some wind at their backs. In a series, they're one of the best and most balanced teams if they have their guys.

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
I actually think Chicago is more vulnerable in the first round than a potential second round matchup. Having said that between the 3 teams, the Blackhawks are still the least desirable matchup. Between Minnesota and Dallas, it's a tossup. I think Minny has a better team, Dallas the better goalie.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
No, Chicago after getting beat on by St Louis would be ideal.

This. We all know STL will goon it up if it doesn't go their way.

If the AVS can go through an easier matchup in round one, they might have Duchene back for round 2 against a beat up Chicago team + they'll have one round of playoff experience which is better than none.

As we speak, the chances of beating CHI in round 2 are a lot better than winning in round 1.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
As an avs fan I want to see them play the wild. I think the Stars will be a tougher team to beat but easier than the Hawks.

As a hockey fan I would like to see them play the Hawks. It would be a very fast paced series.

As a fan who hasn't been able to see the avs I would like them to play the Wild because they are the closest team to my hometown. I'm going to a wild playoff game regardless of who they play with a couple of buddies, if the Avs face them it would be a dream come true. or I would like them to see the Hawks. Me and my dad (he's a hawks fan) always said we would go see the avs and hawks play if they ever meet in the playoffs. If Avs play Hawks and the Wild in the in the playoffs I would be ecstatic and would most likely go see both.

Averick*

No, Chicago after getting beat on by St Louis would be ideal.

I'd actually like to have a better shot at winning round 1. You know, extend the season. Weird.

You're playing with fire here. Chicago could just easily find their form from last year in a series vs St Louis.

Having said that, there are no obviously right answers. But I'd rather struggle in a first round series if that increases the chance of winning a SC.

Averick*

This. We all know STL will goon it up if it doesn't go their way.

If the AVS can go through an easier matchup in round one, they might have Duchene back for round 2 against a beat up Chicago team + they'll have one round of playoff experience which is better than none.

As we speak, the chances of beating CHI in round 2 are a lot better than winning in round 1.

Wouldn't Chicago have Toews AND Kane back?

Averick*

They'll be back round 1.

I'd prefer to play the weaker team every time. Simple as that.

Define "weaker". A team that is weaker against most of the league might be a tougher match up for your team...and vice versa.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Chicago is a better team than Minnesota or Dallas, not one person is going to argue otherwise, that's not even up for debate. I'm not getting into well they might be weaker if they don't have momentum and play when it's a full moon blah blah. Yes the Avs match well with Chicago but they are still a significantly talented team, that's the bottom line.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I can't wait for all the NHL.com articles that analyze why each team should win the series, x-factor, how they stack up, history, etc. Can't believe it's been 4 seasons since we last got to read that stuff.

Averick*

Chicago is a better team than Minnesota or Dallas, not one person is going to argue otherwise, that's not even up for debate. I'm not getting into well they might be weaker if they don't have momentum and play when it's a full moon blah blah. Yes the Avs match well with Chicago but they are still a significantly talented team, that's the bottom line.

You throw full moon out there and then go blah blah. That's rich.

Yeah, Chicago is a stronger team by most measures but what about when they play the Avs? The significance of playing them early vs late shouldn't be casually dismissed. One series could make the difference between them turning from a team whose head is weary from wearing the crown to a dangerous and hungry team being projected as an underdog.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00