Speculation: Who do you want the Sabres to pick with the 1st/2nd Overall?

Sabres83

Feb 27, 2014
I think from what I've read, I'd rather Bennett, because he's a highly-skilled hard worker who will hit and do whatever he needs to, but I'd be fine with either Sam. If we get the Isles' pick, I'd like to take Ehlers.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I still want Reinhart. I like his overall game more so than Bennett and I don't see either guy as a true #1 center in 5 years. However, if Bennett is the guy, I'll be OK with that.

I posted this poll a month ago and Reinhart had 75% of the vote so the thought processes are starting to shift a little!

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
If the draft order is BUF, FLA, EDM, NYI, CGY, and the Oilers want Ekblad I would offer the #1 to EDM for the #3 pick and their 2015 2nd RND pick. If FLA takes Reinhart, we take Bennett, and vice-versa.

An additional sweetener would be the Isles playing the 'safe' card and not deferring to 2015, in which case we also take F Leon Draisaitll, but either way I would be happy with either Bennett or Reinhart.

Projected:

EDM: D Aaron Ekblad
FLA: F Sam Reinhart (or Bennett)
BUF: F Sam Bennett (or Reinhart)
BUF via NYI: F Leon Draisaitll
CGY: F Michael Dal Colle

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If the draft order is BUF, FLA, EDM, NYI, CGY, and the Oilers want Ekblad I would offer the #1 to EDM for the #3 pick and their 2015 2nd RND pick. If FLA takes Reinhart, we take Bennett, and vice-versa.

An additional sweetener would be the Isles playing the 'safe' card and not deferring to 2015, in which case we also take F Leon Draisaitll, but either way I would be happy with either Bennett or Reinhart.

Projected:

EDM: D Aaron Ekblad
FLA: F Sam Reinhart (or Bennett)
BUF: F Sam Bennett (or Reinhart)
BUF via NYI: F Leon Draisaitll
CGY: F Michael Dal Colle

Oilers don't have their 2015 2nd round pick.

And that isn't anywhere close to being enough for me to give up the #1

Blitz

Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Oilers don't have their 2015 2nd round pick.

And that isn't anywhere close to being enough for me to give up the #1

Yes they do, they don't have their 2014 2nd.

We don't need the #1 overall pick to get one of the Sams, why waste a chance to add a 'free' asset? How much do you honestly think EDM or FLA would pay to move up 1-2 places?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Yes they do, they don't have their 2014 2nd.

We don't need the #1 overall pick to get one of the Sams, why waste a chance to add a 'free' asset? How much do you honestly think EDM or FLA would pay to move up 1-2 places?

Why take the chance of not getting your "Sam" that you want or whoever you covet the most for a 2nd rounder? ... It's not a given Edmonton takes Ekblad ..they need another Center just as bad as a D-man ..

How much would they pay? I don't know..probably not enough for my liking.

Blitz

Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Why take the chance of not getting your "Sam" that you want or whoever you covet the most for a 2nd rounder? ... It's not a given Edmonton takes Ekblad ..they need another Center just as bad as a D-man ..

How much would they pay? I don't know..probably not enough for my liking.

Hence why I said "if the Oilers want Ekblad". I would only make this deal if I was sure MacT was after a Ek (I feel FLA will grab him at #2 if we/EDM don't), as I wouldn't gamble missing Reinhart & Bennett, we need forward depth more than defense.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
I have had Ekblad as the number one player in the draft the whole year, with Reinhart 2nd, and Bennett finished 3rd, but has really grown on me. I'm really, really happy to be guaranteed one of the three. But if I had the first pick, I'm taking Reinhart. Prospects are all question marks, but I'm a bit more comfortable with the question marks on defense, and would love to add a high-end center prospect to the system.

Being able to slow the game down is a sign of a really good player. It's his most talked about trait, but he thinks the game on a truly high level. Consistently improving junior production, captain of his WHL and U-18 teams, played well for Canada internationally, and even the NHL bloodlines, Dad, having two brothers being drafted and one a top pick, I feel he's the safest player in the draft and there's nothing not to like about him. The only question is his upside, and it's fair to say Ekblad, Bennett and Draisaitl probably have higher ceilings.

... but, since I have Ekblad number one and Murray said they'll take whoever they have #1, I'd be perfectly ok with Ekblad. I could definitely see how they would be enamoured by Bennett, too, who I'd also be perfectly ok with. I just wish the draft was sooner.

SabreDr

Sep 4, 2006
Buffalo
Bennett: I like his skills, skating, compete, agressiveness, he's younger and, from what I believe, only 2 yrs in Juniors compared to 3 for Reinhart which might lead to a higher ceiling. I'll be fine with Reinhart as well though.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Here is my dream to make this draft crazy awesome:

On June 1st the top 4 picks look like this:

1 - BUF
2 - FLA
3 - EDM
4 - BUF (from NYI)

Trade 1 : 4+29 for 2
Trade 2 : Pysyk & Grigorenko for 3

1 - BUF - Sam Reinhart
2 - BUF (from FLA) - Aaron Ekblad
3 - BUF (from EDM) - Sam Bennett

And then I can't wait until the traditional 1,2,3 card comes out.

:laugh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The heck you say! Well don't i feel silly. I swear every article i looked at online has him listed as left wing. Am i missing something here?

He has played C all season and most of his time in Kingston.

But, he played on McDavid's LW prior to making the jump to the OHL and some people are still listing him as a LW.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I was just over at TSN and I saw Craig Button predict the top 5 based on needs right now.

1. Bennett - Buffalo
2. Ekblad - Edmonton
3. Dal Colle - Florida
4. Draisaitl - Buffalo
5. Reinhart - Calgary

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=115803

Button stated the islanders have to give up the pick this year because if they end up waiting it would be catastrophic to see their franchise guy go to another team. Terrible trade by Garth Snow. Therefore, he say Buffalo picks 1 and 4.

If thing fell this way and we skipped Reinhart at #4, I'd be unhappy!

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I was just over at TSN and I saw Craig Button predict the top 5 based on needs right now.

1. Bennett - Buffalo
2. Ekblad - Edmonton
3. Dal Colle - Florida
4. Draisaitl - Buffalo
5. Reinhart - Calgary

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=115803

Button stated the islanders have to give up the pick this year because if they end up waiting it would be catastrophic to see their franchise guy go to another team. Terrible trade by Garth Snow. Therefore, he say Buffalo picks 1 and 4.

If thing fell this way and we skipped Reinhart at #4, I'd be unhappy!

Craig Button makes a ton of sense. His rankings:

1.) Reinhart
2.) Ekblad
3.) Bennett
4.) LD
5.) MDC

Than he has Reinhart slipping to 4, after we just heard Devines take on Bennett. I think its Reinhart/Ekblad at 1/2.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
He has played C all season and most of his time in Kingston.

But, he played on McDavid's LW prior to making the jump to the OHL and some people are still listing him as a LW.

This. Not sure why some "expert" sites list him as a winger.. Hes only played Center in Kingston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad