Speculation: Who do you want the Sabres to pick with the 1st/2nd Overall?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Voted Reinhart but ****, it's close. I wouldn't be surprised if my own mind changes in the coming months.

My hesitation?

We can fill intangible slots elsewhere. Girgensons is the kind of forward who can will you to max out via his own effort and the desire for others to replicate it. We will be in a position to draft other guys that can have high hockey IQ and be great passers and playmakers. But guys who can go out and score goals at will are toughest to find, and Bennett might be that guy.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I was clearly in favor of Reinhart, but now I view Bennett about the same.

Bennett is 8 months younger and that might infer he has more room to improve, aside from already being a more active/gritty/whatever type of player. I'm just not sure that style will translate to being a more valuable player...if he's hurt or in the box a lot more than Reinhart.

Buffalo needs both types of players, so I guess Murray can't go wrong with either one of them.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
The voting is going exactly how I hope Murray sees it ....

Either Sam.... Then Ekblad. Anyone else is far far far in the rear view mirror as a 1st pick.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Voted Reinhart, but I'm greedy, I want both. Bennett is majorly intriguing, and if we get the Isles pick, we need to do everything in our power to move in on him. But with our pick, I'm taking Reinhart.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Has anyone followed Bennett closely?

I see him listed as C and LW. Which position is he excelling at?

Thanks

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Has anyone followed Bennett closely?

I see him listed as C and LW. Which position is he excelling at?

Thanks

He's only played center in his 2 years in the OHL. In midgets he played LW but that's because he played on a line with McDavid. He's a center, like Reinhart. Either could easily play wing, though.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Voted Reinhart, but I'm greedy, I want both. Bennett is majorly intriguing, and if we get the Isles pick, we need to do everything in our power to move in on him. But with our pick, I'm taking Reinhart.

It all comes down to how Florida views Bennett vs LD.

If Florida like LD a lot, they might be willing to trade back if Murray says Bennett is his guy and they both expect Edmonton to take Ekblad....

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
It all comes down to how Florida views Bennett vs LD.

If Florida like LD a lot, they might be willing to trade back if Murray says Bennett is his guy and they both expect Edmonton to take Ekblad....

If we take Reinhart/Bennett with our pick I hope we take MDC if the Isles give us there pick. Every center needs a sniper winger with some size. Would be nice to have a Max Pac, Corey Perry, JVR, Bobby Ryan type of player to compliment our number 1 center.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If we take Reinhart/Bennett with our pick I hope we take MDC if the Isles give us there pick. Every center needs a sniper winger with some size. Would be nice to have a Max Pac, Corey Perry, JVR, Bobby Ryan type of player to compliment our number 1 center.

I would prefer Sam & Sam over Sam _ & MDC.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I was presuming both Sams to be gone by pick 3.

I think Florida possibly out-tanking the Oilers for the 2nd pick down the stretch is very interesting.

They have Bjugstad, Barkov, and Huberdeau.

I wonder what they think about MDC, Ehlers, and where they put Ekblad on their board.

A lot of Panthers fans thought they were taking Jones at 2 last year and they went with Barkov.

They could go Bennett. Or they could go Ekblad. Or they could throw a bit of a curveball again with a pick like LD or MDC.

If the Sabres are picking 1st and the Islanders hand over the 4th pick, then I think Murray has to be calling Florida and Edmonton in an attempt to use the Blues 1st or the 31st pick to get up and nab two of the top 3 guys.

Unless they think there isn't a huge difference among the top 4 and he's happy to sit back and see who falls to four....

I just love the idea of Sam & Sam going 1-2 to Buffalo.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think Florida possibly out-tanking the Oilers for the 2nd pick down the stretch is very interesting.

They have Bjugstad, Barkov, and Huberdeau.

I wonder what they think about MDC, Ehlers, and where they put Ekblad on their board.

A lot of Panthers fans thought they were taking Jones at 2 last year and they went with Barkov.

They could go Bennett. Or they could go Ekblad. Or they could throw a bit of a curveball again with a pick like LD or MDC.

If the Sabres are picking 1st and the Islanders hand over the 4th pick, then I think Murray has to be calling Florida and Edmonton in an attempt to use the Blues 1st or the 31st pick to get up and nab two of the top 3 guys.

Unless they think there isn't a huge difference among the top 4 and he's happy to sit back and see who falls to four....

I just love the idea of Sam & Sam going 1-2 to Buffalo.

Huberdeau's future is at wing, and Bennett's could be as well if he were with Florida. MDC looks like a great fit but I could see them taking Bennett. MDC is a natural center, too, btw, though his future is likely at wing.

Superhero

Jul 9, 2003
Amherst(Buffalo), NY
Visit site
Bennett is more physical than Rienhart & is 6 moths younger.

I'll take the guy (BENNETT) who Murray describes ans tenacious, always on you, like a bulldog, will hit, will spear you, will score on you, will do anything to win.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Bennett is more physical than Rienhart & is 6 moths younger.

Sure but I don't really thing the age difference is significant with regards to physical play. That's just not Reinhart's game whereas it's an element of Bennett's game -- a somewhat overstated element at this point.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Wasn't there a Sam, Sam or Ekblad poll recently? I thought Reinhart won that one hands down so interesting to see the closeness of the current poll. Are people down on Reinhart or up on Bennett following the lasted scouting rankings? The next two months are going to drag on FOREVER with speculation and opinions on whom should be drafted with our first pick.
Yes, here. Reinhart had 107 votes, while Bennett had 34, Ekblad 9, and Other 3. I'm sure it'll be revisited again too, after the lottery for sure and right before the draft as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad