Who do you want next round?? (Playoff Schedule on Post #130)

WeberBombs

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Tampa owned us this season...therefore I'd say Detroit.

I always liked Detroit since the days they matched up with Roy and Colorado. I can't see myself hating them, but it may start if we meet them in the playoffs! :laugh:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
i actually think we match up better with TB.

forget the regular season results, TB has far fewer players with playoff experience/success, and they have the recent emotional memory of being swept by the Habs.

Playoff emotions are a big factor, Red Wings have the experience/composure & core players who rise to the occasion.

also, for TB to be our opponent, it has to go 7 games, which is good for us regardless of who comes out of it.

both teams have a coaching edge over us, so the more beat up they get before we face them, the better.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
I am not particularly scared of either and I think they would win against both, although I think both would be a tough series with potentially Montreal losing.

Tampa's coaching is suspect. They are also horrible on the road, have little playoff experience, and rely too much on scoring to win games (a horrible recipe for the playoffs).

Detroit has trouble scoring 5 on 5 and their defense depth isn't that much better than Ottawa's. Mzarek has been impressive but not sure how sustainable that is.

Neither team is particularly gritty or good on the forecheck which helps us a lot.

I am not sure why people continue to look at regular season records to predict matchups in the playoffs despite this being one of the absolute worst metrics in predicting outcomes in the past.

Take the Lightning for example. We swept them last year in the playoffs. They had a major chip on their shoulder all season against us and it was just another game for us. Yet people use the fact that they swept the regular season as an indicator that we matchup poorly against them. How is that logical?

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
He is not far better coach, I say a little better. As well MT is a more experienced coach.

Experience is an important factor, sure. But I have watched both playoff series Cooper has coached so far in his career and he has been brutal. If people think Therrien is weak on the strategic part of the game, I wonder what people would think of Cooper. This is the second season in a row he has been handily outcoached in the playoffs. Cooper doesn't have the ability to exploit other teams' weaknesses. He also always makes excuses after losses.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Detroit. We perform extremely well in tight games and have a nose for scoring late winners. We don't perform when the game is more wide open. I like our chances against Detroit.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
I want them to play Detroit only because I have never seen them play each other in the playoffs in my lifetime. I was born in '80 and I think '78 was the last time they met.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Experience is an important factor, sure. But I have watched both playoff series Cooper has coached so far in his career and he has been brutal. If people think Therrien is weak on the strategic part of the game, I wonder what people would think of Cooper. This is the second season in a row he has been handily outcoached in the playoffs. Cooper doesn't have the ability to exploit other teams' weaknesses. He also always makes excuses after losses.

I get what you are saying and I agree with some of your points. Put it this way, the way I see it, neither Cooper or Therrien have won anything at the NHL level. I give the edge to Therrien and only because of the experience factor.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Love how a win means the team played better. The team played no better than it did throughout the 1st round. They just got the breaks last night.

That said I'd think Tampa's the easier matchup (I don't believe in them). Detroit may seem like the easier path but they have too many seasoned players that show up.

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
Ben Bishop makes it very hard for us to score
Tampa's speedy forwards break down our defensive structure

A lot of you guys are saying Babcock would outcoach Therrien. I don't think he would. Babcock would overthink what Therrien is doing and just like the rest of Habs fans, he would not understand what the hell we're doing and that would give him trouble to gameplan against.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Love how a win means the team played better. The team played no better than it did throughout the 1st round. They just got the breaks last night.

That said I'd think Tampa's the easier matchup (I don't believe in them). Detroit may seem like the easier path but they have too many seasoned players that show up.

Exactly my thoughts. Detroit will be a much tougher opponent in the PO's than TB.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
The Habs had trouble with the Sens in round 1 and would have likely gone to a game seven if Andersson was in net for the entire series. The Canadiens had a dreadful record against the Sens, but did manage to win the series. The same could happen against the Bolts, but it would very tough going. Their speed would exploit our slow D and Bishop is Anderson in a blue and white jersey. In short, it would be an uphill battle.

The Habs did beat the Red Wings in all four games this season, two of the games being won in OT. The Habs had a GF-GA of 12-5 against Detroit in comparison to 8-21 versus the Bolts. I am afraid of Babcock and the Wings coaching staff, but I feel we have the D and Price to overcome it.. I voted for the Wings, which I feel will be a more acceptable matchup.

Last edited:

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
Pretty much a toss up. Would be great to see a Montreal Detroit series. But the Bolts Habs will be probably be much more interesting. MT vs Babcock might be very interesting could be one hell of a train wreck lol.
Would be a very tight series with the Red wings I think its be the best so all and all I vote for them.

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
But I really don't like the question I don't think we have a better chance of winning but its who we would like to see more.
Best case its goes to 7 games yet since I want Det no matter what happen tonight I'm happy. 7 game with a triple over time game 7 :)

HabsDieHard*

Threads like this are silly.

Everyone before the playoffs started probably wanted Detroit, becuase Tampa and Ottawa were such scary teams for Montreal.

Now, Detroit might win over Tampa tonight, and if not for an inept power play the Habs would have beaten the Senators in 4.

What matters most is how the team is playing, not which team they go up against.

If the habs' offence performs similarly to how they did against the atrocious Senators, it won't matter which team they face.

But, they can be much better than they were in the first round, so I'm not going to just write them off either.

I think more than anything else, we should hope for a Tampa win tonight. Because an extra game means an extra few days of rest for the Habs, as well as more taxing minutes for whichever team comes out on top.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
I want the Wings because I could easily cheer for them against the Rangers if they beat us. Although, as is usually the case, that will probably change after the first game when they give me something to hate about them, haha.

NHLcrazy

Feb 28, 2002
Montreal
Cooper over Babcock

I agree, although Cooper is no slouch

TBL Defence over Detroit D

Mmmm, ya

Det Forward over TBL F

No way. Datsyuk is a magician but I have never seen a group of forward with this much puck luck vs the Habs as the Lightning.

Mrazek > Bishop

Absolutely not. Mrazek is on a hot streak, he's still unknown, teams will figure him out, but Bishop is huge pain against us. Worse than Anderson.

I prefer Detroit. Easily. We would have a chance but vs TB I don't see us winning at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad