Who do you think will be the next unheralded star for the Flames?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
For an NHL prospect that is expected to be a starter no not really. He was meh at best. He had decent numbers on a stacked Knights team but watching him he really was not that impressive at all in terms of his play.

Totally disagree with your post. I’d say he was exceptional. Literally he was probably the best goalie in the OHL that year. The only guy in recent years that I think had a better D+1 season would be Carter Hart.

Reactions: SKRusty

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Totally disagree with your post. I’d say he was exceptional. Literally he was probably the best goalie in the OHL that year. The only guy in recent years that I think had a better D+1 season would be Carter Hart.

I guess we will have to disagree I dont think there has ever been anything, or ever will be anything, exceptional when it comes to Tyler Parsons and goaltending.

I think it is good to get him up to the AHL as fast as possible so we can get rid of the idea that he is a potential solution to our goaltending and move on to guys who actually have talent.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
May have been the best goalie in the CHL over his draft and draft+1 combined seasons.

I like him in a rebound capacity. You don’t go from what he was doing in junior to not being able to compete in the pros. I think he’ll rebound nicely this season. They made some room in the AHL for him by not bringing in another goalie to the fray. He’ll get a good number of starts in Stockton this season.

For an NHL prospect that is expected to be a starter no not really. He was meh at best. He had decent numbers on a stacked Knights team but watching him he really was not that impressive at all in terms of his play.

After a page of you guys arguing over who is the most special for the special bus seat I am going to add my 2 cents. (Maybe I am special enough.)

Parsons was great in Junior. That does not mean he will be great at the NHL... Especially in the Flames organization.. Irving, Kidd, Moss, Ramo and McElhinney.

I question Parson's choice in development in that the NCAA tends to develop goalies better. More practice time less games.

That said Parsons has the same type of talent as Quick has.. Maybe better. The question now is can he develop his game in the AHL to provide for a career like Quick.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
After a page of you guys arguing over who is the most special for the special bus seat I am going to add my 2 cents. (Maybe I am special enough.)

Parsons was great in Junior. That does not mean he will be great at the NHL... Especially in the Flames organization.. Irving, Kidd, Moss, Ramo and McElhinney.

I question Parson's choice in development in that the NCAA tends to develop goalies better. More practice time less games.

That said Parsons has the same type of talent as Quick has.. Maybe better. The question now is can he develop his game in the AHL to provide for a career like Quick.

I have no idea what the bolded means at all, but ignoring that is there any evidence that the NCAA develops goalies better?

The only guys to win Veznias from NCAA programs were Thomas (who didn't really do anything until his 30s so hard to really credit the NCAA) and Miller and that was almost 10 years ago.

Looking at the goalies today who are the best NCAA goalies- Hellebuyck, Quick, Bishop and ? That is not exactly an impressive list and certainly not better than the guys from CHL or Europe.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I have no idea what the bolded means at all, but ignoring that is there any evidence that the NCAA develops goalies better?

The only guys to win Veznias from NCAA programs were Thomas (who didn't really do anything until his 30s so hard to really credit the NCAA) and Miller and that was almost 10 years ago.

Looking at the goalies today who are the best NCAA goalies- Hellebuyck, Quick, Bishop and ? That is not exactly an impressive list and certainly not better than the guys from CHL or Europe.

Um.. Jonathan Quick, Ben Bishop, Connor Hellebuyck, Carter Hutton, Demko, Gillies, Cory Schnieder, Cam Talbot, and lesser goalies like Hammond, Condon, and Chad Johnson. Not to mention 4 heavily prospected goalies in the NCAA.

In the last decade a large number of goalies have headed the college route because the grooming is better.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Um.. Jonathan Quick, Ben Bishop, Connor Hellebuyck, Carter Hutton, Demko, Gillies, Cory Schnieder, Cam Talbot, and lesser goalies like Hammond, Condon, and Chad Johnson. Not to mention 4 heavily prospected goalies in the NCAA.

In the last decade a large number of goalies have headed the college route because the grooming is better.

Demko and Gillies have done squat at the NHL level, Hutton has never been a FT starter and Talbot, Hammond, Condon, Johnson aren't exactly guys to brag about.

You said NCAA develops better than the CHL so listing mediocre to bad goalies doesn't do much to priove that when the list of CHL goalies is much more impressive.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I guess we will have to disagree I dont think there has ever been anything, or ever will be anything, exceptional when it comes to Tyler Parsons and goaltending.

I think it is good to get him up to the AHL as fast as possible so we can get rid of the idea that he is a potential solution to our goaltending and move on to guys who actually have talent.

He just really could not have done much more than he did. Demko was knocked for playing on a good team as well, it turns out he was a pretty good goalie all on his own. We could have had Demko over McDonald, luckily we got it right the following the draft and took Parsons.

The thing I like most about Parsons is his mental fortitude, hes also a winner. I think he’s gonna be a gamer for us.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
He just really could not have done much more than he did. Demko was knocked for playing on a good team as well, it turns out he was a pretty good goalie all on his own. We could have had Demko over McDonald, luckily we got it right the following the draft and took Parsons.

The thing I like most about Parsons is his mental fortitude, hes also a winner. I think he’s gonna be a gamer for us.

Not that McDonald is a world beater but Demko hasn't done squat to make me want to have drafted him at all.

I will gladly pass on both Demko and Parsons. Two plugs that do nothing to help our goaltending situation.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Not that McDonald is a world beater but Demko hasn't done squat to make me want to have drafted him at all.

I will gladly pass on both Demko and Parsons. Two plugs that do nothing to help our goaltending situation.

I mean, sure that’s fine and all. But all organizations need to draft players at all positions. So if not Parsons or Demko, who are these studs you would have taken in their place?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I mean, sure that’s fine and all. But all organizations need to draft players at all positions. So if not Parsons or Demko, who are these studs you would have taken in their place?

I probably would wait and take a goalie later. It seems so few goalies are drafted early and then stay with the team. It may prove wrong upon further analysis but it seems as many starting goalies in the league came from either the 3rd round or later or from another organization.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I probably would wait and take a goalie later. It seems so few goalies are drafted early and then stay with the team. It may prove wrong upon further analysis but it seems as many starting goalies in the league came from either the 3rd round or later or from another organization.

Most teams are lucky if they get 2 NHL from any draft. I have zero issues spending a decent pick on a goalie that has a good pedigree. There’s also tons of goalies taken late that never sniff the NHL. In a draft, you trust you’re scouting staff and take the players you believe in, period.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I remembered the year the Flames took Macdonald, there was a big rush for goalies in the second round and they were all wrong lol

The real problem in that draft was taking a thug like Hunter Smith instead of guy like Brayden Point :mad:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The same one that fell into almost the third round?
I was clearly being a smart ass because by the definition used that shouldn't matter, he was formerly heralded, thus he was not unheralded.

But. honestly, with the way people follow prospects now compared to the past and HF making the hockey world smaller for us, there is no such thing as unheralded.

If Tuulola has a good year in Finland, a Finnish fan of his club team will come fill us in. Ruzika, an eager Slovak fan or a fan of his CHL club will do the same. If someone is tearing it up in the AHL, a bunch of us are already paying attention to that and will tell the rest... Even a guy like Czarnik, is having a bunch of Bruins fans claim they think he will have a big year if given NHL time for us.

If there is a prospect looking like he could be something special, we will know. We new it with Gaudreau, we knew it with Brodie, we know it with Andersson.

That said, I am going to give a different answer based on this post.

Dillon Dube

Dube's a guy everyone expects to be a good NHLer in short order, but honestly, no one is really predicting him to be a star. Even me, I think he has Backlund type potential, but if he clicks a little more offensive;y than Backs did, has a healthier start to his career and shows us he can bring the same level defensive game, we could be looking at the next Bergeron.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I was clearly being a smart ass because by the definition used that shouldn't matter, he was formerly heralded, thus he was not unheralded.

But. honestly, with the way people follow prospects now compared to the past and HF making the hockey world smaller for us, there is no such thing as unheralded.

If Tuulola has a good year in Finland, a Finnish fan of his club team will come fill us in. Ruzika, an eager Slovak fan or a fan of his CHL club will do the same. If someone is tearing it up in the AHL, a bunch of us are already paying attention to that and will tell the rest... Even a guy like Czarnik, is having a bunch of Bruins fans claim they think he will have a big year if given NHL time for us.

If there is a prospect looking like he could be something special, we will know. We new it with Gaudreau, we knew it with Brodie, we know it with Andersson.

That said, I am going to give a different answer based on this post.

Dillon Dube

Dube's a guy everyone expects to be a good NHLer in short order, but honestly, no one is really predicting him to be a star. Even me, I think he has Backlund type potential, but if he clicks a little more offensive;y than Backs did, has a healthier start to his career and shows us he can bring the same level defensive game, we could be looking at the next Bergeron.

I agree with that.

There’s little of ‘I hear this kids really good’ anymore. You know if they’re good or not, because there’s 24/7 365 coverage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad