Who do you think will be the next unheralded star for the Flames?

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
If it could be Parsons, that'd be the best possible scenario for this franchise. He has shown a lot of potential to date, and seems to be a highly competitive guy. Make it so hockey gods.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I like Phillips and Sveningsson oh and Mangiapane is knocking on the door I forgot about him.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
My money is against him. Even in the WHL he was tossed around easily, he doesn't have the agility and evasiveness than someone like Gaudreau has. I'm genuinely concerned for his safety in the AHL
I think Phillips will be ok. He's been playing against bigger stronger opponents all his life and he's done all right, in fact he's been more than all right. He's excelled.
People, and many of them Flames fans, said the same thing (concern about his safety) about Gaudreau when he first turned pro. He's proven that the fears are unfounded. I suspect that the same will happen with Phillips.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If it could be Parsons, that'd be the best possible scenario for this franchise. He has shown a lot of potential to date, and seems to be a highly competitive guy. Make it so hockey gods.

Parsons is very much heralded though. He, Gilles and Rittich all share the weight. Unheralded would be McDonald or Schneider stealing thunder.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I think Phillips will be ok. He's been playing against bigger stronger opponents all his life and he's done all right, in fact he's been more than all right. He's excelled.
People, and many of them Flames fans, said the same thing (concern about his safety) about Gaudreau when he first turned pro. He's proven that the fears are unfounded. I suspect that the same will happen with Phillips.

Phillips is tiny. He's slight. Much tinier than Johnny Hockey.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Phillips is tiny. He's slight. Much tinier than Johnny Hockey.

His numbers in the Dub are impressive. Remember, while clearly not the speed and size of the NHL men, the dub always has behemoths like the Keegan Kanzig's of the world that still dinosaur there.

Dunno. High potential, in both overall potential and bust.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
His numbers in the Dub are impressive. Remember, while clearly not the speed and size of the NHL men, the dub always has behemoths like the Keegan Kanzig's of the world that still dinosaur there.

Dunno. High potential, in both overall potential and bust.

I hope he succeeds in the AHL!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I hope he succeeds in the AHL!
I hope so too. There's nothing more exciting than an underdog succeeding when the naysayers said he wouldn't. Too slow, too small, not enough skill, no hockey IQ -- a sure fire bust.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Looking forward to seeing how Glenn Gawdwin does in the AHL this year. His last years numbers intrigue me. Not quite sure how to take them. Late bloomer or just your typical 20 year old playing Jr hockey? We'll see I guess.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’d say 40% of the elite dman being drafted nowadays are sub 6’0. I don’t see Phillips size being insurmountable.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I’d say 40% of the elite dman being drafted nowadays are sub 6’0. I don’t see Phillips size being insurmountable.

If he puts on another 20 lbs or so, he'll be the size of Tyler Johnson.
Small guys have a home in the NHL nowadays. If you're skilled, speedy and have high IQ, you have a chance. This isn't like the majority of the NHL's history, where small skilled guys were brushed aside so that a 6'4'' gorilla on skates could punch someone in the face and play 4 minutes a night.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Tyler Parsons. Will be our franchise player within 3 years.
I hope you're right but at this point I'm a bit skeptical. Last year, his first season as a pro, he had a Save% of .902 in 28 games in the ECHL and .856 in 7 games in the AHL. Not exactly awe inspiring. For comparison purposes, another franchise player goalie is Matt Murray. In the two seasons he played in the AHL he had a Save% of .941 and .931
Tyler Parsons may turn out to be a good goalie, but a franchise player?? Right now, chances don't look good.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I hope you're right but at this point I'm a bit skeptical. Last year, his first season as a pro, he had a Save% of .902 in 28 games in the ECHL and .856 in 7 games in the AHL. Not exactly awe inspiring. For comparison purposes, another franchise player goalie is Matt Murray. In the two seasons he played in the AHL he had a Save% of .941 and .931
Tyler Parsons may turn out to be a good goalie, but a franchise player?? Right now, chances don't look good.
I'm not going to claim Parsons will be a franchise goalie, but just looking at stats, especially small sample sizes and with zero context for a professional rookie is pretty short sighted.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm not going to claim Parsons will be a franchise goalie, but just looking at stats, especially small sample sizes and with zero context for a professional rookie is pretty short sighted.
You are of course correct. The sample size is very small. But, so far to date its not looking as promising as expected which is why I said I'm a bit skeptical.
Hoping he has significant improvement this coming season and starts looking like the franchise goalie he was touted to be when drafted (somewhat like Gillies when he was playing for Providence College - another goalie I'm somewhat disappointed in so far).

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Gillies or Rittich

They are not "unheralded" in an absolute sense but it would be a big surprise if they steps up to be a number 1 goalie

I think these 2 have as much opportunity as any other players in the organization to do it. Smith isnt going to play every game.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON

If course his numbers were not great, he battled injuries the entire season. I am a Knights season ticket holder and I am positive Parsons is the real deal.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If course his numbers were not great, he battled injuries the entire season. I am a Knights season ticket holder and I am positive Parsons is the real deal.

How can anyone be positive about goalies with their track record (Outside of being a biased Knights fan of course)?

Especially with the issues Parsons has.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Most likely Kylington.

Unexpected either Eetu Tuulola or Adam Ruzicka.

Tuulola has an insane shot and if he can put his game together he could be great on the right side.

Ruzicka has some great skills but like Janko he likely will need added development time.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
How can anyone be positive about goalies with their track record (Outside of being a biased Knights fan of course)?

Especially with the issues Parsons has.
What issues? He had one bad injury riddled season. Other than that he has had stellar numbers. You are going to judge a player off one injury plagued year? I guess a lot of guys who are considered high end prospects are garbage then.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
What issues? He had one bad injury riddled season. Other than that he has had stellar numbers. You are going to judge a player off one injury plagued year? I guess a lot of guys who are considered high end prospects are garbage then.

He is a small goalie which is a concern in the NHL, he had a bad NHL season which is a concern and he wasn't that good coming out of juniors.

Those are the 3 issues I see specifically for him, plus of course the added fact that goalies are all tough to judge coming from juniors to the pros.

I wouldn't day that Parsons has ever been a high end prospect and that while not garbage all goalie prospects should be treated with a lot of skepticism because of how often they don't turn out.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Was also the youngest goalie to start more than 10 games in the ECHL. Hoping for a better year for him getting some starts in the AHL splitting or backing up Gillies. I think that's the plan anyways.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Parsons wasn’t that good coming out of Jr’s?

May have been the best goalie in the CHL over his draft and draft+1 combined seasons.

I like him in a rebound capacity. You don’t go from what he was doing in junior to not being able to compete in the pros. I think he’ll rebound nicely this season. They made some room in the AHL for him by not bringing in another goalie to the fray. He’ll get a good number of starts in Stockton this season.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Parsons wasn’t that good coming out of Jr’s?

For an NHL prospect that is expected to be a starter no not really. He was meh at best. He had decent numbers on a stacked Knights team but watching him he really was not that impressive at all in terms of his play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->