Who do you think will be the next unheralded star for the Flames?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Usually everyone knows about players drafted in the first couple of rounds but the wild cards are those that are drafted later on. I know I didn't know a lot about Gaudreau when he was first drafted 104th overall in the 4th line and he's become one of the Flames greatest stars. There's also players like Ferland who was drafted 133th in the 5th round, TJ Brodie was drafted 114th in the 4th round, and lets not forget Giordano who wasn't drafted at all.

Who do you think will become the Flames next unheralded star? Adam Ruzicka? Matthew Phillips? Andrew Mangiapane? Glenn Gawdwin? Someone else?

Reactions: Sk8M8

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Dube has the tools to be a big impact player. Gawdin is an interesting prospect as well, I'd love to see him turn into our own little Brock Boeser.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Draft position doesn't make someone unheralded.

Unheralded is someone like Sean Monahan, the guy has done nothing but score since coming into the league, yet even a large portion of our own fans won't even call him a #1 center.
unheralded

[uhn-her-uh l-did]
adjective
  1. appearing without fanfare, publicity, or advance acclaim
  2. appearing without warning or prior announcement; unexpected.
Our highest draft pick at the time did appear with fanfare, publicity, advance acclaim, warning and prior announcement. I get what you're saying, but that doesn't make him unheralded the way the OP is meaning... or the way that unheralded actually means.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017

Unheralded is someone like Sean Monahan, the guy has done nothing but score since coming into the league, yet even a large portion of our own fans won't even call him a #1 center.

Mmm might wanna freshen up on the definition of unheralded.

As for the OP question, I'm gonna go off the board and choose Filip Sveningsson. Something about him just really intrigues me. Same with Dmitry Zavgorodniy

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don’t think he has the offense to get to Gaudreau or even Brodie level I think Dube could be a real solid player and fan favourite for us for a long time but not sure as a 2nd round pick he fits.

I don’t see a fit with our current prospects but most people probably said that early on in Gaudreau and Brodie’s years after being drafted.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Maybe not quite unheralded but if there is a Hockey God, and he is a just one, it'll be Tyler Parsons. Somethings eventually got to balance out for Kidd, Krahn, and Irving... right?

If I was to go with a skater it'd be Phillips, have had several opportunities to see him live in Victoria. He's really really good.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
v2v1EfL.jpg

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

When I say unheralded, I mean relatively unknown or recognized, by most fans (of all teams) before playing in the NHL. Monahan didn't fit into that category when he was drafted. Most hockey fans knew all about Monahan at draft time. Generally most players that are drafted in the later rounds are unheralded (unknown except by the most die hard hockey fans).

As to your opinion about Monahan, you're right in that he doesn't generally get the recognition and credit that he deserves and he is a #1 center. I feel that underrated is a better term than unheralded, although the term unheralded can be used in your context. I myself tend to think of unheralded as meaning "not previously announced, expected, or recognized" which is also a valid definition of the word unheralded.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I really like high skill players. My money is on Matthew Phillips.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I really like high skill players. My money is on Matthew Phillips.
My money is against him. Even in the WHL he was tossed around easily, he doesn't have the agility and evasiveness than someone like Gaudreau has. I'm genuinely concerned for his safety in the AHL

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Said unheralded player has not yet been drafted yet. Said player may not be drafted at all.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Mangiapane is the obvious answer.

Also, I see Foo as a 15-20 goal guy who is good on the forecheck

Mangi 100%
Guys that age who do what he did at the AHL generally carve out NHL careers. The guy has a Tyler Johnson type vibe to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad