OT: Who do you think is the Bruins best fighter?

hockeybpr25

Dec 31, 2009
Yes?

Did you happen to catch Looch's fight against Barch last week?

Yeah, he lost. How many times has Lucic messed someone up? How many times has Thornton messed someone up?

Thornton fighting is all tactics now. He doesn't land very many punches but he also doesn't receive very many punches. Most, if not all of his fights are even. The rest are a loss. Guy. Can't. Fight.

Soooo many homers on here with man crushes.

Chara shouldn't even be involved in this conversation since he doesn't fight anymore. What does he have like three fights in the past two years? I mean I don't want him fighting so I'm not on him about that and he can definitely mess people up but he shouldn't be in this conversation.

By the way, this is coming from a guy that can't stand people that love fighting in hockey. I mean don't get me wrong, when McQuaid or Lucic mess someone up, it's pretty great to see. But when a fight breaks out I'm just like meh. Unless it's a team brawl, those I love. Nothing better than that 8-6 (or whatever score it was) game vs the Canadiens a few years back where we beat them in the game and physically.

Thornton is a concussion away from his career likely being over. His fight style is more defensive now than ever. Get in tight, grab on and do everything you can not to get hit. You don't win too many fights that way. He will land some upper cuts on lesser opponents and get some narrow decisions but will never decisively end a bout or fair will against the heavyweights in the league.

Lucic is clearly disinterested in fighting lately, thus his lackluster performance in his last few bouts. He's probably being told not to fight as well. Shame. The kid can chuck em. Has amateur boxing background an a chin made of granite. Gazdic clocked him flush (a punch that has dropped numerous opponents this year) and Lucic didn't even flinch. When Lucic is MAD he is the best fighter on this team and one of the best in the league.

Chara is NOT a fighter. His sheer size and strength can be scary, but his lack of balance will prevent him from ever being able to trade with the heavy weight's of this league. Sure he can rag doll the McCabe's and Lecavalier's and yes we all know he bloodied Koci's nose. Big deal. We really shouldn't base his fighting prowess based on those 3 fights that are ancient history.

McQuaid is probably the best fighter this team has nowadays if he can stay healthy. He's got a real mean streak in him and loves to throw em. He's a top middleweight for sure. If he ever fills out fully and can hit the 230lb mark, this kid would be a contender in the heavy weight division for sure. Never a boring fight with Lone Wolf.

Miller is definitely strong. Big solid kid. Looks like a good prospect in the fisticuffs department but would have to see a lot more to be able to judge fairly.

Gregory Campbell, for those who have played Mike Tyson's punchout, is the Glass Joe of the NHL. He is the FIRST (like Glass Joe) to take on anyone in this game. But his 1 win an 99 losses record is eerily similar to Joe in every way.

:clap: Wow, someone on the HF board that knows what they are talking about. It's a miracle!

Last edited:

Habs killer

Jan 31, 2007
somerville
mcquaid was solid before all the injuries (2-3 years ago), he was easily going through opponents with his fist. problem was thorton landed the 1A fight card. The injuries are adding up, he is still a very affective fighter but staying healthy should be his focus.

hockeybpr25

Dec 31, 2009
LOL! Said the pot to the kettle!

I'm sorry, in what way am I being a homer? Please enlighten me because I'm being completely objective. Must suck being delusional. Lucic isn't even in my top 5 favorite players on this team and he's the person I picked as the best fighter.

My man crush on the Bruins is Bergeron.

Last edited:

iiBruins17*

mcquaid was solid before all the injuries (2-3 years ago), he was easily going through opponents with his fist. problem was thorton landed the 1A fight card. The injuries are adding up, he is still a very affective fighter but staying healthy should be his focus.

This has been Mcquaid's strongest fighting season

Cid

Jan 9, 2007
Canada
McQuaid isn't on the same level as Lucic.

Maybe not technically or strength wise but heart and mental toughness McQuaid is much stronger. McQuaid wants to fight. He enjoys it. Guys like Thornton and Lucic do it because they either have to (part of the role) or are pushed into it (forced by opponents). McQuaid wants to go out there and rip your head off any chance he gets. That's what makes a fighter scary. When they enjoy getting hit and into fights. Like Chris Nilan for example.

All this talk of Bruin's fighters sure does make me miss Andrew Ference. What he lacked in size he made up for in character in his willingness to take on all comers for any wrong doings to his teammates.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Maybe not technically or strength wise but heart and mental toughness McQuaid is much stronger. McQuaid wants to fight. He enjoys it. Guys like Thornton and Lucic do it because they either have to (part of the role) or are pushed into it (forced by opponents). McQuaid wants to go out there and rip your head off any chance he gets. That's what makes a fighter scary. When they enjoy getting hit and into fights. Like Chris Nilan for example.

All this talk of Bruin's fighters sure does make me miss Andrew Ference. What he lacked in size he made up for in character in his willingness to take on all comers for any wrong doings to his teammates.

Thornton hasn't really been the same since the Scott thumping and Lucic is someone I've always thought just doesn't really enjoy the fight game. I think back to wingers like Wendel Clark or Rick Tocchet that simply enjoyed fighting.

THE ARS*

Man, this has me thinking the Bruins ain't so big and bad right now.

Thornton and Lucic are looking ordinary, I mean Barch fought them both in one game.

I gave a vote to Miller just to be contrarian, and of course that right hand did look nasty.

Send Loui down and bring Fraser up, he likes to go. Any Foligno is a good Foligno to beat up.

8016022.jpg

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Chara shouldn't even be involved in this conversation since he doesn't fight anymore. What does he have like three fights in the past two years? I mean I don't want him fighting so I'm not on him about that and he can definitely mess people up but he shouldn't be in this conversation.

that would make sense....if the poll was "who fights the most on the B's. but it isn't.

you can be the best without fighting all the time. quality and quantity are two completely different things.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston

If you walk into a boxing gym, or any other fighting gym for that matter, and they tell you that you should enjoy being hit? Or, the first thing they teach isn't how to avoid being punched? Turn around and walk out.

Chris Nilan, yeah, he didn't mind being hit. But having an 8ball up your nose probably helps a lot w/ that, too.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
If you walk into a boxing gym, or any other fighting gym for that matter, and they tell you that you should enjoy being hit? Or, the first thing they teach isn't how to avoid being punched? Turn around and walk out.

Chris Nilan, yeah, he didn't mind being hit. But having an 8ball up your nose probably helps a lot w/ that, too.

I think you mean Kordic

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Thornton hasn't really been the same since the Scott thumping and Lucic is someone I've always thought just doesn't really enjoy the fight game. I think back to wingers like Wendel Clark or Rick Tocchet that simply enjoyed fighting.

Screw up against Lucic, and this will happen to you. If you don't tie him up, stay away from his reach, he can put you to sleep.

That's a flash knockdown. How often do you even see this in a hockey fight? Meaning he moved his jaw via the chin enough so the signal going from his brain to his legs waved buh-bye. It tells me he not only knows where to hit you, but when, as he throws a perfect counter punch. I know, I know...Carkner is a shrinking violet.

Most guys just survive against Lucic.

You once said you'd of taken Tocchet over Neely, right? Com'on, BH. No Bruin will ever be tough enough for you. Want to talk a/b a guy that was fearless, Terry O'Rielly. Different era, his hair was tougher than most guys now.

iiBruins17*

Man, this has me thinking the Bruins ain't so big and bad right now.

Thornton and Lucic are looking ordinary, I mean Barch fought them both in one game.

I gave a vote to Miller just to be contrarian, and of course that right hand did look nasty.

Send Loui down and bring Fraser up, he likes to go. Any Foligno is a good Foligno to beat up.

8016022.jpg

Lol at this whole post

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Screw up against Lucic, and this will happen to you. If you don't tie him up, stay away from his reach, he can put you to sleep.

That's a flash knockdown. How often do you even see this in a hockey fight? Meaning he moved his jaw via the chin enough so the signal going from his brain to his legs waved buh-bye. It tells me he not only knows where to hit you, but when, as he throws a perfect counter punch. I know, I know...Carkner is a shrinking violet.

Most guys just survive against Lucic.

You once said you'd of taken Tocchet over Neely, right? Com'on, BH. No Bruin will ever be tough enough for you. Want to talk a/b a guy that was fearless, Terry O'Rielly. Different era, his hair was tougher than most guys now.

I would take Terry O'Reilly over anyone in any era,maybe not the greatest fighter but breathed fire and couldn't be reasoned with. Yes I preferred Rick Tocchet,another nasty man in his hockey soul, to the second reincarnation of Cam Neely which was reminiscent of Brett Hull. I also loved Wayne Cashman and Stan Jonathan. I think Lucic is a very good fighter but not great and I simply don't think he likes it that much. I saw him interviewed and he said he wouldn't want to fight Chara,not a hit on Lucic but praise on Chara.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
I would take Terry O'Reilly over anyone in any era,maybe not the greatest fighter but breathed fire and couldn't be reasoned with. Yes I preferred Rick Tocchet,another nasty man in his hockey soul, to the second reincarnation of Cam Neely which was reminiscent of Brett Hull. I also loved Wayne Cashman and Stan Jonathan. I think Lucic is a very good fighter but not great and I simply don't think he likes it that much. I saw him interviewed and he said he wouldn't want to fight Chara,not a hit on Lucic but praise on Chara.

I'll stick w/ Cam. Tocchet did get close enough to smell 50 once, but while playing w/ Mario. Mario could bounce 50 off PJ Axelsson's cursed stick. Brett Hull... Tocchet was never asked to carry his team on one leg, was he? And, while potting 50.

Brett Hull :laugh:

Name another top 6 forward anywhere near Lucic w/ the mitts off? You have to name 4th line career goons before you get to anyone that can hang w/ him. Like I said, if Neely wasn't tough enough as a 50 goal man, Lucic will never do anything to impress you.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I'll stick w/ Cam. Tocchet did get close enough to smell 50 once, but while playing w/ Mario. Mario could bounce 50 off PJ Axelsson's cursed stick. Brett Hull... Tocchet was never asked to carry his team on one leg, was he? And, while potting 50.

Name another top 6 forward anywhere near Lucic w/ the mitts off? You have to name 4th line career goons before you get to anyone that can hang w/ him. Like I said, if Neely wasn't tough enough as a 50 goal man, Lucic will never do anything to impress you.

O'Reilly himself made the Brett Hull comparison in a disparaging way but this thread was about toughness and the comment was that Neely's game changed. Tocchet had 12 fights and 252 PIMs when he scored 48,Cam had 5 fights and 117 PIMS when he scored 55. I simply preferred the 37 goal 175PIM 10 fight Neely.

THE ARS*

Gordie Howe.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Anyone care to change their vote? miller should be #2 or #3 at worst on this list. I'd love to know who the "other" votes were for.

acr*

Anyone care to change their vote? miller should be #2 or #3 at worst on this list. I'd love to know who the "other" votes were for.

Miller has what, 4-5 NHL fights now and maybe 2 impressive showings? He has great promise, but he is simply not on the same level as Lucic, Thornton, McQuaid or Chara at this point. He lost his fight with Prust, someone Lucic and Thornton have put away in the last couple of seasons. He needs time to get his feet under him at this level.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
you are judging on the past, not today. Who has thorty beaten in the last 12 months? mcquaid? He's busy making gronk look like cal ripken. Miller fights anyone not named looch or chara 10 times and he wins more than he loses imo.
looch and chara are 1 and 2.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Miller is definitely on the rise in the fighting department. He has one hell of a punch- just ask Moen.

For now Looch is still first- when he does fight he wins. Plus you can't dismiss his intimidation factor- I don't think anyone but the goons truly want to take him on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad